Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.7 mm vs 2.0 mm FH vs BH Rule of Thumb?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.7 mm vs 2.0 mm FH vs BH Rule of Thumb?
    Posted: 09/23/2018 at 8:37pm
Any suggestions on which sponge thickness (1.7 or 2.0) should go to FH and BH? The particular rubber I have in mind is Rasanter V42 or R42 but feel free to assume other ESN rubber of comparable thickness. Let's assume this is for an allround player rated 1,500 for the purpose of this discussion.
Force Pro Special 7ply
FH: Fastarc C-1 1.4
BH: Tenergy 80 1.7
Sponsored Links

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Dream1700 Dream1700 wrote:

Any suggestions on which sponge thickness (1.7 or 2.0) should go to FH and BH? The particular rubber I have in mind is Rasanter V42 or R42 but feel free to assume other ESN rubber of comparable thickness. Let's assume this is for an allround player rated 1,500 for the purpose of this discussion.

R42 2.0mm both sides, or R47 2.0mm FH and R42 2.0mm BH.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 5:59am
Go for 1.7 both sides.
dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 6:09am
2.0mm both sides or
1.7mm both sides or
2.0mm FH and 1.7mm BH or
1.7mm FH and 2.0mm BH

There is no rule of thumb
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 6:11am
Ttgold, I read a lot of europeans, and maybe germans in particular, putting value in using thinner sponges. In the US the most common recommendation is to use max or 2.1, whatever, from the start.

Do you really think it makes a lot of difference between 1.9 and 2.1, or similar example? And in what aspect, control I guess, but how? The topsheet is obviously the same, so only pretty strong, fast strokes thst engage the sponge will see any difference.

Just curious, because it seems to me the brand/model of rubber will make a lot of difference, and the thickness little.
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 7:36am
2.0mm for FH
1.7mm for BH
Blade: Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: Victas V > 15 Extra
BH: Victas V > 15 Extra
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 8:15am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Ttgold, I read a lot of europeans, and maybe germans in particular, putting value in using thinner sponges. In the US the most common recommendation is to use max or 2.1, whatever, from the start.

Do you really think it makes a lot of difference between 1.9 and 2.1, or similar example? And in what aspect, control I guess, but how? The topsheet is obviously the same, so only pretty strong, fast strokes thst engage the sponge will see any difference.

Just curious, because it seems to me the brand/model of rubber will make a lot of difference, and the thickness little.
when you start playing you usually start of with a basic all wood and thinner rubbers. No fancy tenergies or rasanter and so on. I myself started with a stiga allround classic and sriver 1.7 or 1.9. Because he said he's rated 1500 and is an allround player a 1.7 seems better than a 2.0. I think having a thinner spong teaches you to create the speed and overall shot quality by yourself. Also gives you more control. In the us they might put on max rubbers from the beginning, but these guys are often the guys trying to get their shot quality up by buying faster equipment rather than actually working on a proper technique. Might sound a bit harsh, but that's what I've witnessed over the last couple of years.
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 12:28pm
I am still in early days of my experimenting with this setup (V42 1.7, R42 2.0). Because the topsheets are different I can't figure out if the difference is due to the topsheet or thickness while twiddling. I am beginning to suspect that 'my rubber' is V42 and I should have it on both sides. still the ideal sponge thickness question remains. With my current setup I don't obviously lose or gain any control between 1.7 and 2.0 as far as I can tell.

the most difficult shot for me is lifting underspin with BH. do I understand it correctly that the sponge thickness should not matter here because it is more of a brushing stroke?
Force Pro Special 7ply
FH: Fastarc C-1 1.4
BH: Tenergy 80 1.7
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

when you start playing you usually start of with a basic all wood and thinner rubbers. No fancy tenergies or rasanter and so on. I myself started with a stiga allround classic and sriver 1.7 or 1.9. Because he said he's rated 1500 and is an allround player a 1.7 seems better than a 2.0. I think having a thinner spong teaches you to create the speed and overall shot quality by yourself. Also gives you more control. In the us they might put on max rubbers from the beginning, but these guys are often the guys trying to get their shot quality up by buying faster equipment rather than actually working on a proper technique. Might sound a bit harsh, but that's what I've witnessed over the last couple of years.

Here's my take on using thinner sponged rubbers for beginners.  I started with 1.7mm on both sides.  I quickly outgrew the rubber on my FH and my strokes demanded Sriver 2.2mm thickness.  I stayed with the 1.7mm but I believe because it was so thin, it "encouraged" a more blocking and flat-hitting type of stroke.  Also, as I had a strong and spinny FH, the 1.7mm BH gave a nice "brake" effect and change up when I blocked with the BH sometimes fooling my opponents due to the shorter bounce.  

The bad part is my BH loop took a long time to develop because 1.7mm will not have too much penetrating power and therefore, I was not confident in using the BH loop.  

So to all beginners, I always suggest an ALL or ALL+ blade and use 2.0 mm both sides.  This gives a very well-rounded capability without having a rocket set up.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 5:43pm
I think it also depend what kind of rubber you use. 10 years ago there were no gimmicky rubbers with high tension, spring sponge or micro layer. Nowadays the sponges as well as the overall game ( plastic ball) is completely different.
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 6:03pm
V42 is very linear and controllable. I would not call it fancy rubber. R42 can catapult occasionally on not very strong stroke so it is less predictable.

maybe V42 is the new gold standard for an average player suitable for the plastic ball.
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2018 at 12:07pm
A relevant thread from this site but a bit dated (2010): https://bit.ly/2N0lOrS

[QUOTE=icontek] To my surprise, I've recently noticed a few higher level players (US1800-2000 or so) using 1.5-1.9mm thickness rubbers - predominantly on BH and was wondering something...

These players using thinner sponges usually use the BH for push, block, counter, smash, chop and fish/lob.

The common thread through all of these players is that none of them frequently loop with backhand (well, one does, but only as a brush loop against push). 
[/QUOTE]

My bias now is to go V42 1.7 mm on both sides with possible upgrade to 2.0 mm on FH in a year.

How does Rasanter sponge compare to Sriver's in the same thickness regarding the propensity to bottom out?
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2018 at 10:13am

V42 is very linear and controllable. I would not call it fancy rubber. R42 can catapult occasionally on not very strong stroke so it is less predictable.

maybe V42 is the new gold standard for an average player suitable for the plastic ball.

I used V42 2.3 MAX last night on an OFF- blade as a BH rubber and was very impressed with its control, placement, good spin serves, lifting Back Spin overall a very functional rubber. With quality BH strokes I was able to generate strong counter strokes with nice arc . Also when I was glueing the rubber I noticed it was very tough had to work hard to pull the excess rubber apart after I glued. The only other rubber that has that toughness is Tenergy 05 in my experience. I had been using Tenergy 05 and Rozena on my BH but the V42 2.3 is a better option close to the table.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2018 at 3:05pm
The more you want to counter loop against topspin the thicker the sponge. I think a big factor in what sponge thickness you get is how often you play. If you play 3 plus times a week and/or get regular coaching then thicker sponge makes sense assuming a more standard game. Blockers, choppers and those who play irregularly may benefit from a thinner sponge. All imo.
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 6:27am
Personally, 2.0 both is good, or max on fh. But, I tried r47 2.0 on fh and r42 2.0 on bh on three different blades(yinhe pro feeling, yinhe mc2, andro treiber k), didn't like it at all (I used to slightly older generation rubbers, like vega pro, rakza and t05). So these new rubbers with soft topsheet for me are bigger problem than thickness, with old gen rubbers I can play well with 1.8 - max .
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 10:48pm

A relevant thread from this site but a bit dated (2010): https://bit.ly/2N0lOrS

[QUOTE=icontek] To my surprise, I've recently noticed a few higher level players (US1800-2000 or so) using 1.5-1.9mm thickness rubbers - predominantly on BH and was wondering something...

These players using thinner sponges usually use the BH for push, block, counter, smash, chop and fish/lob.

The common thread through all of these players is that none of them frequently loop with backhand (well, one does, but only as a brush loop against push). 
[/QUOTE]

My bias now is to go V42 1.7 mm on both sides with possible upgrade to 2.0 mm on FH in a year.

How does Rasanter sponge compare to Sriver's in the same thickness regarding the propensity to bottom out?

If I can add some additional perspective:

In 2010 we were playing with celluloid. Service spin was much stronger, and it was both much harder and therefore much riskier to backhand loop over or near the table. 

Since I came back to the sport in 2015, I've been playing 2.0mm backhand, because of the ease of using the chiquita against service. Thanks to the new plastic balls, I can now loop a variety of near to table shots from my backhand.

I've been able to play 2mm because the original Rasant is an amazing sheet of rubber (with a firm sponge, it is controllable at low speed, with very slight catapult on pushes, and works allround for a variety of strokes. it might not chop well, due to catapult against big balls, but that's forgiveable for all it's other strengths).

I've tried Rasanter R42 and R47 as a replacement, and neither of them feel good, and with their thin, bouncy topsheets, they feel different enough from Rasant that I feel like Andro is just making a money grab.

But it's funny that you post this because I was just looking at V42 1.7mm as a replacement for my original Rasant 2.0mm. In part because I want to develop a backhand hitting stroke (I can block and weakly counter, but can't finish from the backhand wing comfortably).
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 11:52pm
Try V15 extra, plays more similar than the spongy new gen rubbers.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic