Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Player salaries in clubs in EU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Player salaries in clubs in EU
    Posted: 09/29/2018 at 7:31am
A member of a Table Tennis Facebook Group I follow wrote a very interesting post with the info he was able to gather about men salaries in clubs in EU. So according to the author:

-players who are ~bellow ITTF250+ are playing for food, equipment and a butterfly suit. On a good day, they even may get 100eur for small expenses 
-players around ITTF250 earn on average 12-15000 EUR per season +bonuses for results, so on average around 100eur per victory
-players around ITTF200-250 can expect 15-20000 EUR per season+some bonuses
-players around ITTF150-200 can expect 18-22000 EUR per season+some bonuses
-players around ITTF100-150 can earn up to 30000 per season, on average 25-27000 EUR per season
-Crossing ITTF-100 is an important threshold in Table tennis. Top 100 players salaries start from 30000 eur per season. But it depends upon how stable are you. Whether you are always in the top 100 or if your ranking varies from for example ITTF-120 to ITTF-80...
-players around ITTF-60 and up earn 40-50000 eur per season. Those who are stable above ITTF-50 earn not less then 60000EUR per season
-players around ITTF-20 earn from 60-90000eur per season. But it may vary wildly depending on the results
-top players get 150000-300000 eur per season or more. But, for example, stars like Timo Boll earn much more than that.
Also, players get bonuses for taking first places in various tournaments, so this money usually goes only to top players naturally.

Salaries in China are much bigger than in Europe. 

So the takeaway is that you should get a normal job and stop dreaming about making your living from TT. Cause to be able to make a decent living you have to be one of let's say 100 top players in the whole world and have superpower
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 8:33am
Easier to be a top 500 player and just coach and coach, but a very boring way to make a living i feel.
They easily make 35-40USD an hour, and work 40-50 hours a week, no tax. Some I don't feel are very good coaches though. Just have a great playing resume, which needs enthusiasm and genuine attachment in order to translate into a good consistent service worth the $$, imo.

Edited by Basquests - 09/29/2018 at 8:34am
pingpungpeng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 10:18am

Edited by pingpungpeng - 09/29/2018 at 11:07am
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 10:39am
They will get much more from the sponsorship & commercial than their salaries once they get famous. For example, ZJK made about ¥20~30MM, which is something close to $3~4MM in usd every year while he was at his peak despite his salary was less than ¥1MM.
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 1:34pm
TO BE A PROFESSIONAL PINGPONGER IS A FOLLY.

Quote "I have to admit, I'm really fearful of the moment I have to say 'This is it, I have to stop'. I haven't done anything else my whole life, I mean I became a professional when I was 16. I did learn no other profession but playing the game, it is my only earnings".

—Timo Boll
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

TO BE A PROFESSIONAL PINGPONGER IS A FOLLY.

Quote "I have to admit, I'm really fearful of the moment I have to say 'This is it, I have to stop'. I haven't done anything else my whole life, I mean I became a professional when I was 16. I did learn no other profession but playing the game, it is my only earnings".

—Timo Boll

I don't think Timo Boll should be worried about money when he retires. 

-I think it would safe to asume (no actual data, just some guess) he makes a couple of mln in total per year from salaries, bonuses, prizes, sponsorships
-then multiply by some 20 years he is a pro now, divide by 2, because he didn't make these money all the time 
-substract some 5 mln to be on a safer side and you get some 15 mln net worth :)

-Let's say he spends some 20k per month on food, booze and petrol :) , so 15mln/20k*12=60. So if he decided to do nothing but enjoy life it would be enough for 60 years...
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 2:35pm
Are you sure Boll is making that much money? He looks malnourished. 
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Dream1700 Dream1700 wrote:

Are you sure Boll is making that much money? He looks malnourished. 

Indeed, you made a very good point :D
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 3:45pm
In 2008 Timo Boll made 900,000 Euros: https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/36403/umfrage/deutsche-topverdiener-sport-2008/

I know Ai Fukuhara was making 900,000 U.S. dollars. She might be getting more in endorsements than that now (but am not sure).
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 4:24pm
this thread is about Pros who plays in EU clubs but it is not possible to generalize since the Bundesliga is by far the most difficult championship in EU and there are professional players not only in 1st league but also in second and even in third German league.
So it is normal German clubs who needs top players and have a very competitive competition pay a lot more their players than any other EU league.

Than you have the French competition with some clubs like Chartres or hennebont, Austria with Niederöstereich....
The other clubs don't pay really well and for a lot of them, playing european competition is a curse because it costs a lot.
TT is really not a sport where players earn a lot of money, even pros. I know very well some Belgium players who are in the top 200 and they don't earn 22.000 EUR + bonus a season or this is a bruto wage. They need the help of sponsors each time to go abroad playing tournament and often lose in the qualifications....they barely get help from the federation because the country prefers giving the money for football teams. TT is really not the good way for becoming rich for 99,99% of the players.

Victas matsushita off, Fastarc G-1 max, S § T Hellfire 1mm, Japsko Glued
smackman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 6:46pm
I'm not sure how someones World ranking determines their income, wouldn't it equate to what division the play in
 Having a high rating would get them a job, then they would be paid for doing their job and earning bonuses for percentage of wins and team results

Not all the players will have time to play in the world circuit, and the way the ratings works of no play/ big = drop-down in placement  
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2018 at 12:51am
If the numbers of the OP are correct, I think these players may have better income when they retire and become coaches than when they are still competitive players.
Many famous players in my country actually become table tennis merchants/retailers when they retire or stop playing at their highest level (because they don't train full time anymore) and earn a lot more money.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic