Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have you switched to ABS ball ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2018 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

our league is a mess, we play with ABS, seamless AND celluloid, depending on the club and it sucks.

That would drive me insane.  Take heart though.  This can't go on like that forever.  Although to be honest, I am surprised you still find celluloid balls.

Where I live it is 100% ABS.  Nittaku or D40+ for the most part.

I am trying my best to endure it... This is the last season celluloid is allowed, after that, I hope ABS will prevail. More and more clubs are changing to Gewo Pro Select ABS around here.

Some more detailed thoughts on the balls:
Although the CA / seamless balls retain more spin during flight and on contact with the table, they are bad for brushing the ball and are inconsistent in bounce. ABS is much easier to brush, but weird in the way it interacts with the table. On grippy table surfaces, slow sidespin loops curve away like crazy. Topspin and backspin become much less relevant. In clubs that play with ABS for some time now, hardly anyone pushes with pure backspin any more. The table would just eat it and make the ball bounce high and empty. Sidespin is the new backspin. Choppers will now always chop with sidespin, and sometimes add some back- or top-component to it.
Also, the durability of ABS is not good IMO, because after 2-3 training sessions the ball becomes shiny and non-grippy, producing much less spin - that's when some choppers would throw them in the trash and grab a new one.

Sponsored Links

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2018 at 7:40pm
I think it's crazy that the leagues in Germany still haven't made strict regulations about the new ball. We always talk about how the us is so far behind, but they at least switched to plastic balls years ago. The first time I played with abs balls was in July and I really liked them. They don't break as quickly and are actually round.
Jackcerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackcerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2018 at 7:51pm
In Italy it’s a mess... every team and every tournament is with a different ball... plastic xushaofa, joola flash/ abs Andro, abs tibhar, abs nittaku, abs dhs. Lots of clubs and for national tournaments there is the Stag abs ball
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2018 at 7:56pm
I can't believe that someone living in Germany and playing regularly table tennis has hit an ABS ball only in last July. Yes, crazy is the right word.

Edited by Makelele - 10/05/2018 at 7:59pm
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2018 at 8:48pm
Hi,

[Nittaku 3* 40+ premium is an ABS ball, indeed it was the first one on the market (2014).]

I find it interesting that I missed this.  I think I know the source of my deficiency: I spoke with the top Nittaku representative at the Paris Worlds who had the ball on display but not for sale, as there were not the quantities then.  I recall him saying that Nittaku's goal was to be the premier ball on the market, as they were in the celluloid era.  He stated the material composing the ball was proprietary, patented, and no other manufacturer would be able to use this formula for their balls.  He didn't mention ABS, but ABS was not in the sport's vocabulary broadly then.  It did not dawn on me later that it was an ABS ball, I suppose due to this discussion.

Thanks for the update.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2018 at 8:51pm
Hi,

For those in the USA, where do you purchase the DHS D40+ balls?

Thanks,
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2018 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Jackcerry Jackcerry wrote:

In Italy it’s a mess... every team and every tournament is with a different ball... plastic xushaofa, joola flash/ abs Andro, abs tibhar, abs nittaku, abs dhs. Lots of clubs and for national tournaments there is the Stag abs ball

Situation Normal: Government a mess.

Ditto in USA. Literally every club tourney or sanctioned tourney has a different ball with wildy different properties. As long as the ball bounces true, I never really worry, but it isn't the case with each ball.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2018 at 9:37pm
I call players who want to play ONLY with Nittaku 3* and NOTHING else NBS... Nittaku Ball Snobs.

Sure, the Nittaku Premium 40 is a great ball, I would be fine playing a match using one (as long as it isn't all used and smooth-shiny), but there are other true bouncing balls too.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2018 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I call players who want to play ONLY with Nittaku 3* and NOTHING else NBS... Nittaku Ball Snobs.

Sure, the Nittaku Premium 40 is a great ball, I would be fine playing a match using one (as long as it isn't all used and smooth-shiny), but there are other true bouncing balls too.

A few weeks ago after hitting with my regular practice partner, a ball snob asked to hit with me.

I was using an almost new DHS D40+ and the player insisted on switching to Nittaku. Out comes an old, shiny grey ball, with almost all the lettering worn off. I was like ..... wtf? If you are going to be a ball snob, don't whip out a sh..ty one.

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2018 at 4:18am

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I was always wondering what guys like the ones you describe are thinking. For example there were guys in my club that really didn't play better than someone playing in his garage. But whenever someone played with them and only had a two star celluloid ball they always wanted to play with a three star ball. I mean they couldn't even play table tennis, but are basically implying that a two star ball is not good enough for them? Especially in the celluloid era I didn't really care about the brand, as they were all just balls.

Now of course there are big difference between different brands. I've played with a lot of different balls, like joola ( the old shitty one), joola flash, tsp( the newest one), butterfly g40+, gewo p, gewo slp, the slp two star training ball, andro poly s training ball, 2s training ball, gewo slp( newest one), the two star version of that( which is really good actually), tibhar( the first one), dhs ( newest one), yinhe and xushuofa. And nowadays I don't care about the differences between the balls. If you have different people to play with and they all got one brand they always play, you'll just get used to the different brands and can quickly adjust.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2018 at 6:34am
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

A few weeks ago after hitting with my regular practice partner, a ball snob asked to hit with me.

I was using an almost new DHS D40+ and the player insisted on switching to Nittaku. Out comes an old, shiny grey ball, with almost all the lettering worn off. I was like ..... wtf? If you are going to be a ball snob, don't whip out a sh..ty one.

So did you hit with the old nittaku? I prefer any new or nearly new plastic ball over old bald balls. I would have said no.
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2018 at 7:22am
Not from US, but it ships worldwide

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Bonus-Pack-10-Balls-Box-Newest-DHS-3-Star-D40-Table-Tennis-Balls-New-Material-Plastic/1019735_32802682381.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.2.57e84cf6I0Loa5

Edited by Simas - 10/08/2018 at 7:23am
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2018 at 12:11am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

So did you hit with the old nittaku? I prefer any new or nearly new plastic ball over old bald balls. I would have said no.

An old and worn off nittaku is crap worse than other old balls
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic