Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Long pips against long pips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Victor2016 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long pips against long pips
    Posted: 10/07/2018 at 8:11am
I switched from inverted to long pips on backhand. I know how to use long pips against inverted rubbers, but I find trouble against other long pips. I'm using Grass D.tecs ox and a second setup with Giant Dragon Meteorite. Both become uncontrollable when I play against other long pips. Same problem have also most of the opponents, but those more experienced have no trouble. 
Any advice on this matter? What should I do? How should I use my long pips to become more effective against other long pips. 
Any suggestion would be useful, even a change in a setup.

Edited by Victor2016 - 10/07/2018 at 10:14am
Sponsored Links

notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2018 at 9:07am
Your setup is fine. It takes time to get used to the pips. Months, even years. I am on my 3rd year of playing pips and I take weekly lessons from a coach who's a chopper like me. I am still learning new things almost weekly. Before you can be comfortable playing others with pips you have to master your close game - pushes w/ pips, blocks, etc.
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2018 at 11:23am
You did not mention your playing style or how long you have been playing with long pips. Since one of your setups is DTecs OX, I'm assuming you play close to table blocking style.

With the ABS plastic ball there is less spin coming at you compared to celluloid. LPs need incoming spin to be more effective, especially when you play a close to table blocking style.

To answer your question, there is less spin on the ball coming from an opponent uith long pips. There is no substitute for experience playing against an opponent using long pips. You need to learn to side swipe, bump the ball keeping the bat angle at 90 degrees, etc. to try to better control your shot.

Having said that DTecs OX does have more difficulty handling no/spin balls as it's lower grip/friction makes it more difficult for you to generate some spin to better control the ball. Im not familiar with meteriote so cant comment on it.

BTW, I play with long pips and my favorite opponents to play against are those that use long pips.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2018 at 1:59pm
Korean women over 40 almost all of them use OX Grass D-Techs on BH... and they face each other often. Nothing replaces training, experience, and level.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
nachalnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachalnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2018 at 5:43pm
I play with LPs for almost ten years but very rarely against another LP player so if my opponents have more experience playing against LPs, they will certainly give me a lot of problems. I’m rated at about 1900, but I would choose a 2100 looper over an 1800 LP blocker any day. I’m trying only two things that are reasonably successful: very spinny fast serves to the right (inverted) and strong long pushes to the right forcing them to loop which could be difficult for them.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2018 at 7:52pm
One thing is to serve long pips to their backhand, sometimes that can make the ball fall down
Be ready to get in and smash first if a pop up occurs
In a general rally a rolled backhand ball to their backhand will give them grief if they don't understand
Is your forehand better than theirs attack in that direction
Try your other bat next time you play them, sometimes it just works

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic