FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Why Mark V is still so popular ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Mark V is still so popular ?
    Posted: 10/12/2018 at 4:05am
Mark V is an old era rubber, made for VOC speed glue. 
Surprisingly , on revspin.net it is still the 2nd most popular rubber , after tenergy 05. 

How does Mark V perform using water glue ?
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
Sponsored Links

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 4:39am
Like in the hands of the chap with the knee brace:

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 6:19am
its not popular in world.

But why its popular in that site .... well it could be that they are lying with huge stock and want someone like you to buy it. ;-)

its their own site... not Gallup poll... and they may not sell much
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 6:37am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

Mark V is an old era rubber, made for VOC speed glue. 
Surprisingly , on revspin.net it is still the 2nd most popular rubber , after tenergy 05. 

How does Mark V perform using water glue ?

Mark V predates speed gluing.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 8:24am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

its not popular in world.

But why its popular in that site .... well it could be that they are lying with huge stock and want someone like you to buy it. ;-)

its their own site... not Gallup poll... and they may not sell much

https://revspin.net/database/popular-rubber.html is a database containing the current equipment used by people.   It's not an e-shop. 
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
Mimobrok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mimobrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 12:23pm
As other people have suggested, Revspin has no expiration date for each submission, and thus it is only natural for older rubbers to be more popular. 

Mark V was generally recommended as the "beginner rubber" ten years ago, and thus many people who have just started table tennis who look up "best beginner rubber" will find it and get it on their first blades. Revspin reviews are also more biased towards being written by "beginner EJs", as veteran EJs write reviews on mytt/ttd, not revspin.

Apart from that, it's a well-known rubber. Might not be the best for the price, but it's not as risky as purchasing a newer rubber with no review. 
Yinhe V14 Pro Flared
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Xiom Vega Europe DF
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 4:10pm
Because of this. Speak of the devil. Mark V just made it to No.3 in the latest Table Tennis Kingdom Sales Ranking.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 4:15pm
Mark V with booster is great for advanced level, Mark V with water based glue is good for begginer level. Mark V - legendary rubber for allround players.
Blade: Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: Victas V > 15 Extra
BH: Victas V > 15 Extra
trumpet_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trumpet_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 5:17pm
Well, I got it because Paddle Palace sold it glued on a Ma Lin Extra Offensive, and it doesn't play too badly.  I have recently moved on to a different combo, but it is really not bad at all.
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 5:35pm
because rubber performance has not changed so much.
it's all just marketing from companies saying there is a new incredible rubber every 6 months.
who would have thought!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

the same goes for blades.
a new blade comes out every other month.... and what are the top players using? viscaria, a blade created 20 years ago.

random dude: "hell no!!! mark v rubbers were made to speed glue!!! the NEW rubbers don't need this."

wrong.
in the past pros used speed glue.
now they use booster which is the same thing.
conclusion.
a tenergy 05 is not that different from a mark v.
a bluefire is not that different from a mark v.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 10/12/2018 at 5:47pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 6:01pm
I am waiting for someone to say the reason of the continued popularity of Mark V is that die hard anti-millennial pundit folks are vocal like a hornets nest about it...  
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 7:56pm
The fact remains the top sheet of Mark V is very consistent sheet to sheet. Yes it was best in the speed glued era however get a max thickness sheet, glue it 3-4 times with the latex based glue and it's performance for beginners to intermediate level players is nothing to sneeze at. I have played with a bazillion rubbers and still use max on my BH. It's not the fastest or spiniest but you get exactly what you put into the stroke. I still see way to many developing players trying to play with equipment that they are not ready for. With the proper strokes a player can still loop the hell out of the ball, counter with nice speed, receive service with control, and play a game with variation. If you are above 2000 level Mark V may fall a bit short but for the vast majority of us Mark V is perfectly fine even if it's a non-tensor. You know your not going to the Olympics peeps so play with something you can feel comfortable with according to your style of play and level. Classic rubbers still are viable in this new era of the sport....ribbit.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 9:30pm
Mark V actually predates speed glue. It wasn't designed for speed glue but it works well with it. I haven't seen anyone here using it in years.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 9:48pm
I assume it is the 1/EJ crowd that like it.
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 10:14pm
Where exactly is this rubber still popular? I've never seen anyone using it in person... smaller sample size, but fairly telling! Say 100+ tournament players, and not one had it on! And some were still using friendship 802 pips or hurricane 3s
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2018 at 12:11pm
Mark V M2 was brilliant with speed glue, similar to Bryce.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2018 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Where exactly is this rubber still popular? I've never seen anyone using it in person... smaller sample size, but fairly telling! Say 100+ tournament players, and not one had it on! And some were still using friendship 802 pips or hurricane 3s

Yes, I've never seen Mark V in tournaments either and I doubt I will. These aren't simply used for tournament level play.

Maybe they are popular at schools TT clubs and kids who are starting their training are using as coaches are recommending them en masse as an inexpensive but of good quality rubber to start?

P.S. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I used mark V and was pretty happy with it 
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2018 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Simas Simas wrote:

Yes, I've never seen Mark V in tournaments either and I doubt I will. These aren't simply used for tournament level play.

Maybe they are popular at schools TT clubs and kids who are starting their training are using as coaches are recommending them en masse as an inexpensive but of good quality rubber to start?

P.S. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I used mark V and was pretty happy with it 

I see Mark V at many tournaments I play in. I play MXP and Mark V...works great for me. "Hands Like A Laser...Legs Like A Sloth". :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

SteveWAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveWAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2018 at 5:57pm
Interesting post..once upon a time I used Mark V MAX all the time and had great success with it, I think Stellan Bengsston also used it for professional matches, back in the 70's & 80's .

Recently I have been considering dumping my way overpriced T05 and going back to Mark V boosted
both feel very similar, but less impact on the bank account. 

vanjr - Just curious : What is "1/EJ" crowd ? 

Steve Adams Foster City, CA.

My Email
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2018 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Originally posted by Simas Simas wrote:

I see Mark V at many tournaments I play in. I play MXP and Mark V...works great for me. "Hands Like A Laser...Legs Like A Sloth". :)

I was expecting to see:
I play MXP and Mark V... and don't feel difference
trumpet_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trumpet_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2018 at 2:42am
Steve,
I think by "1/Ej" crowd he means the inverse of Equipment Junkie. Those who are are very much NOT equipment freaks.

--Tim
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2018 at 9:23am
Mark V is a good beginner rubber, with enough speed and spin for beginners. It’s one of the rubbers I can recommend (allthough I usually recommend even cheaper chineese setups for beginners) remember, not everyone has the money to change equipment on a whim. If mark v works (and it’s cheap) a lot of people will stick with it.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by henningf henningf wrote:

Mark V is a good beginner rubber, with enough speed and spin for beginners. It’s one of the rubbers I can recommend (allthough I usually recommend even cheaper chineese setups for beginners) remember, not everyone has the money to change equipment on a whim. If mark v works (and it’s cheap) a lot of people will stick with it.

Recomend me other beginner(kids) rubber with more durability. People say that mark v is chipping at the edges no matter how careful you are
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2018 at 10:35am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Question: these rubbers like Mark V M2 or Sriver that were great with speed glue - why are they relatively unoptimal with boosters?
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Recomend me other beginner(kids) rubber with more durability. People say that mark v is chipping at the edges no matter how careful you are

That has not been my experience. The chap from the video at the top of this thread tends to change his rubbers once a year and his Mark V's always look in better shape than similarly used Tenergies of his teammates/opponents.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

That has not been my experience. The chap from the video at the top of this thread tends to change his rubbers once a year and his Mark V's always look in better shape than similarly used Tenergies of his teammates/opponents.

Dont know but I have like 5 used mark v sheets semi worn that are chipped in the edge and most players said its normal
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2018 at 12:39pm
If I skip the edge tape, I usually get chipping on must rubbers (except some of the chineese rubbers, like H3)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2018 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Question: these rubbers like Mark V M2 or Sriver that were great with speed glue - why are they relatively unoptimal with boosters?

Because boosters and speed glue don't work the same way. They are seeking to produce a similar effect. Speed glue effect is much greater and requires that the solvent slowly vaporizes into the pores in the sponge. That is easily detected by machines now. The effect is short lived. Boosters are always somewhat oily, and can't be very volatile. And they can last for weeks rather than hours. So rubber a optimized for one won't always respond well to the other. In general it isxeasiervto develop effective speed glue than an effective booster. Some of the best is vulcanizing compounds used for tire repair. You can find them in auto repair stores or online.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2018 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Because boosters and speed glue don't work the same way. They are seeking to produce a similar effect. Speed glue effect is much greater and requires that the solvent slowly vaporizes into the pores in the sponge. That is easily detected by machines now. The effect is short lived. Boosters are always somewhat oily, and can't be very volatile. And they can last for weeks rather than hours. So rubber a optimized for one won't always respond well to the other. In general it isxeasiervto develop effective speed glue than an effective booster. Some of the best is vulcanizing compounds used for tire repair. You can find them in auto repair stores or online.

Maybe you re using the wrong booster
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2018 at 7:21pm
is Mark V HPS doesn't solve the problem? Its same Mark V but doesn't need speed glue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic