Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Racket grip for rally strokes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racket grip for rally strokes.
    Posted: 10/14/2018 at 8:55pm
I know that the Fh service grip is done by holding the racket almost entirely with Thumb and Index finger pressure.

For rally strokes I thought I read that this is the same but more of the fingers wrap around the handle. At a recent clinic I thought I heard Stellan Bengtson say the rally grip was with pressure from the 3 fingers on the handle. Not sure what I should be doing now.

When I use the 3 finger pressure on handle method my wrist seems to be a lot more stable so I do seem to get more consistent contact. But I lose some of the wrist action to generate higher speed and spin.

What (if any) is the consensous on which fingers apply the grip pressure for rally strokes.

Mark - Who needs a grip change so he can be even more confused when trying to hit a ball.
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 12:46am
For my rally FH stroke, I use the three fingers around the handle. I can get good spin, it is from keeping everything loose and using all the components of the whip in sequence. I get an extra boost of bat speed from the shape of my overgrip tape and squeezing the top finger (my middle finger) using the base of my fat paw as a fulcrum.

Ironically, on serve, there is a three finger grip variation on serve that has the middle finger resting right along the length of the side of handle... squeeze on it like a trigger and you get some extra whip without whipping the bat with arm/wrist... so you can get good spin with a very weak looking stroke. This can be deceptive for opponents if you can drag your arm slowly through the zone at impact to make it look weak.

I think your issue with not getting the higher degree of spin on your FH rally shot is you are tight in the wrist or arm. One can also transfer more power to the ball by firming up right at impact. This power could become speed, spin, or both depending on how you strike the ball.  

The little I have seen you hit live... you habitually make solid contact with the ball. This is great for consistency to hit the ball and not miss it entirely (like I do sometimes), but it doesn't help you for brush kinda impact spin. You can still use the principles I described to increase your topspin on your solid contact impacts. You would have lesser grip pressure as you whip through the ball to get more spin without too much increase in speed. It is a tough impact to adjust too, but can be done. Similarly, a firming up at impact with the whip will give you both pace and spin when you whip it.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 12:48am
BTW, I have your Trouble Maker uniform ready for you when you make down here. We did well in the team tourney and maybe coulda won it all if your were able to get down here.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 1:06am
Things not going the way I planned. Fisrt the auto accident and then when it was fixed someone stole my wallet ( probably dropped at restaraunt). Stranded for couple of days with no id, no drivers license, no credit cards, and no money. Lived off the leftovers of $20 quarters I got earlier for laundry. Waiting for new cards to arrive so I can start back to Tx. Will let you know when I will be coming through Sacramento.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 10/15/2018 at 1:19am
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 11:08am
Oh my, so sorry to hear of your misfortunes.

Please take care of yourself on your journey.......

Good luck.

:)

(go fund Mark?)
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 2:22pm
I am in good shape now. Truck is good as new and was able to get temp debit card by going into bank branch Salem. Permanent cards on way so I want to stay put in one location until they get to me.

Players at Willamette TT Club in Salem have been great in helping out despite all the bad coaching advice I gave them over the last month.

Mark
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2018 at 12:11am
I'm not sure what's 'correct' Mark, but personally I use mostly the bottom 3 fingers to apply pressure when rallying at mid distance or further. Close to the table, I try to use the first 2 fingers.

I think the first 2 fingers are easier for creating spin, and the bottom 3 are easier for speed/stability.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic