Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lighter Penhold Combo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighter Penhold Combo
    Posted: 10/14/2018 at 11:06pm
I recently hurt my wrist (TFCC injury) and am trying to ease back into the game after some time off.

My wrist feels fine other than when I swing hard (or out of position) for a forehand loop. I'm still playing around 1800 right now, but I'm avoiding serious play and am focusing on not aggravating my wrist.

To that end, I was thinking about switching to a lighter paddle until everything's back in order!

Perhaps a Rutis, which should be around 70 grams, with a smaller head size. I welcome any suggestions on blade or rubber changes though - want to keep it as close as possible.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
Sponsored Links

opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2018 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by opinari opinari wrote:

I recently hurt my wrist (TFCC injury) and am trying to ease back into the game after some time off.

My wrist feels fine other than when I swing hard (or out of position) for a forehand loop. I'm still playing around 1800 right now, but I'm avoiding serious play and am focusing on not aggravating my wrist.

To that end, I was thinking about switching to a lighter paddle until everything's back in order!

Perhaps a Rutis, which should be around 70 grams, with a smaller head size. I welcome any suggestions on blade or rubber changes though - want to keep it as close as possible.

Should have mentioned, I'm currently playing with a ZJK CS around 85 grams, and TO5 2.1mm and Roundell 2.1mm. it's a great combo, but on the heavy side for penhold.

MalinHD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MalinHD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 2:30am
I also have a ZJK ALC CS, which is a bit heavy. For a lighter blade, I would recommend the Innerforce ALC.S or ALC.

ZJK ALC is not balanced and difficult to control. 
lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 8:11am
Oc has some below 80 gram. Palio Cat, way 004, 006 are all around 75 gram. You may get 69 gram one if you are lucky.
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 12:04pm
You might be able to ask for/ find lighter weights for these models. (Averaging about 80 +- 5g)
Stiga Offensive Classic
Stiga Intensity
Stiga Carbonado 45
BTY SK Carbon
BTY Innerforce Layer ZLF
Donic Waldner Senso Carbon
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive
DHS Hurricane Hao 3

For Rubbers,
Focus Snipe 3 is really light, and the Nittaku Fastarc S-1 is light too.

Cheers!
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 2:18pm
i'm sorry for what happened. hope you get back well soon.
i have a similar set up with zjk alc.

i think a light (and cheap) combo would be 
yinhe T10 or T11 ~70g
palio macro ERA ~35g each side

So you can keep a combo under 150g.

good luck
EJ-turned blade collector
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 6:01pm
I have a stiga offensive classic carbon that is 75g, inner carbon, good flex for looping, pairs with quite a few rubbers nicely
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 10:49pm
ANY 5-ply CS blade.
Sand 1 wing off to get your hand further in the blade face.
Not balanced enough? Add a coin/hose clamp at the end of the handle.
No need to buy a blade precisely 76.4545 grams. Just modify your current blade to your liking.

EDIT: I can understand the reluctance with modifying a blade that costs as much as your child's education but think of it this way, the moment you bought a CPEN blade you've pretty much already said goodbye to that money since the resale value of Pen blades in general is low anyway. You might get 50% of what you spent if you're lucky...

Edited by HuLimei - 10/15/2018 at 10:52pm
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 11:06pm
Thanks all! Very much appreciate the suggestions - I might try looking for some of the suggested blades if I can find a lighter one (but will hold off on further sanding my ZJK ALC for now, though point taken)!

Edited by opinari - 10/15/2018 at 11:06pm

HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 11:09pm

I might try looking for some of the suggested blades if I can find a lighter one (but will hold off on further sanding my ZJK ALC for now, though point taken)!
Understandable. Another suggestion would be to get some of those generic hard bat paddles costing a dollar each to practice your sanding. I've ruined a Clipper Wood blade sanding both wings not knowing what I was doing.
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 11:15pm
Bottom line is that a CPen blade with 2 inverted rubbers will be heavy and put strain on your wrist.
I keep my YEO CPen blade around 82 grams.  Heavier than that with 2 inverted rubbers will strain my wrist.  A blade too light doesn't have enough power.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2018 at 11:22pm
TSP Versal comes in ~70 grams
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2018 at 1:37am
You can order to Ross Leidy. My latest is Rapscallion C-Pen weighing 69,3 gr. My Roots 5 from Soulspin weighs 71,3 gr.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 12:06pm
Just in case anyone ever has a similar wrist injury (TFCC) and sees this post, nothing made it better other than time off.

I hurt it last August, failed to comply fully with doctor's orders and finally took a true two month break in November.

I just started playing again and the wrist is finally pain free!  Taking it easy now and trying to get back in the swing of things, but tweaking my technique to avoid future injuries (fewer wild forehands)!

lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 1:40pm
Good to hear! What's the weight of your current setup? Do you do RPB?

Just in case anyone ever has a similar wrist injury (TFCC) and sees this post, nothing made it better other than time off.

I hurt it last August, failed to comply fully with doctor's orders and finally took a true two month break in November.

I just started playing again and the wrist is finally pain free!  Taking it easy now and trying to get back in the swing of things, but tweaking my technique to avoid future injuries (fewer wild forehands)!

opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 1:53pm
It's relatively heavy, don't have a weight handy, but the blade alone is 85 grams.

Switiching to a lighter setup didn't end up helping with the wrist pain. I exclusively use RPB on the backhand.

xujinjiang99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xujinjiang99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2019 at 8:22pm
Nittaku Violin is light and solid. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic