Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

how to sand jpen for grip comfort

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
paracite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paracite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to sand jpen for grip comfort
    Posted: 10/25/2006 at 7:26pm
Hi, I'm very inexperienced with sanding, and I would like to know how to sand for maximum comfort as well as playing ability. Please get in depth as possible. Thank you!

Sponsored Links

Kashuken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashuken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2006 at 8:29pm
Here is a very detailed description of how to sand a J-pen. It's in Chinese but you should be able to figure out by looking at the pictures provided.
http://nta.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=63
paracite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paracite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2006 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Kashuken Kashuken wrote:

Here is a very detailed description of how to sand a J-pen. It's in Chinese but you should be able to figure out by looking at the pictures provided.
http://nta.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=63

Is this for right handed?

Kashuken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashuken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2006 at 8:33pm
Yes.
paracite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paracite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2006 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Kashuken Kashuken wrote:

Yes.

Thanks a lot! What to use for sanding? I only have sandpaper, but I don't think it's good enough. Is it?

Shalashashka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shalashashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2006 at 9:31pm
lol i have that same blade. theres really no right or wrong way to sand as long as its comfortable with you. as for me, i didnt need to take off that much wood.
Extra Rorin.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2006 at 10:04pm
Kashuken, is that Rorin yours ? The shaving done is a very neat job. My compliments to you.
Paracite, when you do the sanding, I would recommend to use sandpaper of at least 240 mesh or finer. And do it a bit at a time, use it for several sessions and when you find it already comfortable for you, the job is done. If you feel that it needs more sanding, you can do it again a bit more. You should not do it too much in one go, because if you don't like it then you cannot do anything to repair it.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 12:33pm
paracite go and buy a file. it takes a much shorter time. however sand paper is enuff is you have lots of time
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 5:16pm
If you already know how much you want to take off, then use a power tool to get there faster. Otherwise, I agree with aeoliah's suggestion of using sandpaper and doing it gradually to suit your liking.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
paracite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paracite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2006 at 12:50am
Originally posted by GenomicsKnight GenomicsKnight wrote:

If you already know how much you want to take off, then use a power tool to get there faster. Otherwise, I agree with aeoliah's suggestion of using sandpaper and doing it gradually to suit your liking.

True. Today I was playing for 5 hours, I began to get some redness and sensitivity on the web of skin between thumb and finger, so I'm sanding the cork on the back handle more to adjust.

divinity911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinity911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2006 at 1:30am
You really should use a file. I file down every paddle I've ever used. For carbon blades especially, you really need to use files since the amount of time it takes sandpapering will give your fingers more inflammation than playing with the virgin blade. Just take off how ever much with the file, and use sandpaper to make it smooth. You can never take off too much. It's better to overdo it than under do it.
paracite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paracite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2006 at 1:34am
Originally posted by divinity911 divinity911 wrote:

You really should use a file. I file down every paddle I've ever used. For carbon blades especially, you really need to use files since the amount of time it takes sandpapering will give your fingers more inflammation than playing with the virgin blade. Just take off how ever much with the file, and use sandpaper to make it smooth. You can never take off too much. It's better to overdo it than under do it.

That's very different than what I hear from other players. Though it seems logical with the file, I just don't have one lol. Also I do get irritated fingers or thumbs when I was trying to take off the residue. While sanding it's not as bad, but it's better than rubbing off sticky residue on the side blade.

ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2006 at 8:35am
why don't you just buy one? it's very easy to get one
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic