Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carbonado 90 review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbonado 90 review
    Posted: 10/20/2018 at 3:37pm
I've been trying out the carbonado 90 for roughly 13 hours now. So I think I have a decent understanding of the blade now.
I'm coming from a viscaria, so this is a downgrade in terms of speed.

The blade weighs 84 grams and I'm using tenergy 64 2.1mm on both sides.

It has a lot less speed than my viscaria and I think even less than some of the faster all wood blades. It is still fast though. I used it with completely worn out tenergies and it still wasn't slow, with the right technique of course.

The thing that stood out the most right from the beginning was the feeling when serving. I don't know what it was, but I felt like I could do every serve I wanted. It really gave me a lot of confidence when serving. Serves never slipped out long.

Since this blade only has a very thin layer of carbon it behaves like an allwood blade in the short have. You can put the ball short without a problem, even if you don't actively go into the ball.

The wooden behavior was very noticeable in the dwell department. The blade had a lot of dwell when playing shots. The dwell really helped to create a lot of spin on open ups on the forehand. When attacking half long and long serves with the backhand, the dwell really helped to guide to ball into whatever direction I liked.

The only time I don't like long dwell times is when I'm playing fast attacks in open rallys. I feel like you don't need a lot of dwell when going for fast shots. But luckily the blade's dwell wasn't noticeable on fast shots. This was probably due to the thin carbon layer.

I think the feeling of the blade is very unique. It behaves like an allwood blade, and also has a very similar feedback, but still feels crisp like a carbon blade. Of course not as crisp as say a viscaria, but a toned down crispness.

The carbonado was really good when blocking. Lots of control and feeling like you'd have with an allwood, but still crisp on contact.

The blade performed best closer to the table as it has a lower throw. So your better of using some higher throw rubbers like tenergy 05 or similar alternatives. When going away from the table it becomes harder to generate super fast shots, so your better of going for more placement when behind the table.

I think this blade is best suited for players that like the crisp feeling of carbon blades, but also like the trademark characteristics of an allwood blade. If you're transitioning from allwood to carbon, then this is a good choice. The carbonado is a great choice of you don't want to go full risk on all shots, but rather play smart spinny open ups and follow up with great placement. You can still kill the ball, but have a bigger Arsenal of shots. If you have problems generating your own power, then go for an alc, but if you feel like you can have enough power and want more control then go for this blade.

Make sure to seal the blade.

Edited by Tt Gold - 10/20/2018 at 7:57pm
Sponsored Links

Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2018 at 4:30pm
Very good review.  Thanks

Can't wait for your review of Cabonado 190  LOL
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2018 at 7:50pm
Sorry, but I'll never play with the 190. I'd rather play with a butterfly alc. But I actually tried the 190 form my teammate and it vibrated a lot. Didn't like that.
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2018 at 11:59pm
I have quite opposite experience with 190. Mine is fast and solid. It might have something to do with the weight. My Carbonado is 97g and if the one Tt Gold tested was much lighter it effects a lot to stiffness of the blade.
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 6:48am
The carbonado 190 wasn't 84grams though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic