Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

What do you think of Penhold?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What's your general opinion on Penhold?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [33.33%]
6 [12.50%]
10 [20.83%]
6 [12.50%]
10 [20.83%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you think of Penhold?
    Posted: 10/21/2018 at 1:08pm
just a short survey on penhold

Edited by HuLimei - 10/21/2018 at 3:29pm
trumpet_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trumpet_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 8:15pm
I rely heavily on backhand, and would find RPB less secure than SH Backhand.
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 2:26pm
Because i wasn't able to land 5 fh drives in a row :)
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 3:03pm
Like it, swap between pen (Jpen) Jpen RBP and Cpen rbp and SHakehand every year or so feeling a jpen itch now
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 4:34pm
CPen in my younger(much younger) days playing a faster and competitive game. SH nowadays for a slower relax and control game mainly for exercise and fitness.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 4:50pm
I always seemed like the strangest thing in the world to me that anyone would have decided to play that way from the beginning.  But it clearly can work well.
PythonMonty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PythonMonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 5:56pm
When starting out I struggled with the shakehand forehand grip. In particular the wrist angle necessary to keep the racket in line with the forearm felt unnatural. Two things that addressed this problem were Tenaly blades and the penhold grip. I never tried the former but I played around with a penhold forehand and found it easier and more natural than shakehand. But RPB was much harder and I had nobody to show me how to do it so that was that. Later I discovered the fun of penhold serves. I'd use them in matches if only I could figure out how to shift fast enough from penhold to shakehand.
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2018 at 2:40pm
I play both Cpen and Jpen and I use traditional pebhold backhand and often attack with my backhand. I have always been Cpen and don't feel the need or inclination to shift. Love the serves and the blocking in front.
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX
1-ply Hinoki Club
The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
pliuya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pliuya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2018 at 2:57pm
I am Chinese and started learning TT in USA. I intended to learn penhold but mistakenly bought a shakehand blade. It keeps scrubbing my fingers and gave it up soon. I feel shakehand is more natural for me.   

Edited by pliuya - 10/23/2018 at 3:01pm
Viscaria (87g)/DHS W968 (90g)
FH: Neo Hurricane Provincial
BH: GoldArc 8/ MXP
lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by pliuya pliuya wrote:

I am Chinese and started learning TT in USA. I intended to learn penhold but mistakenly bought a shakehand blade. It keeps scrubbing my fingers and gave it up soon. I feel shakehand is more natural for me.   

Try using sand paper to sand whatever place that scrub your finger.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2018 at 8:40pm
I think any Cpen player nowadays must adopt RPB. A player like Yoshida Kaii is too vulnerable in his backhand and opponents will explore this weakness.

hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2018 at 10:09pm
Penhold is a waste of time. It's fun to play at lower levels but at a higher level the disadvantage become very apparent and it will no longer be fun. 
FH: h3 2.2 39
t05: 2.1
viscaria: 93g
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2018 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by pliuya pliuya wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that handle type and length matters less for Penhold than we think (unless of course you have short arms and the handle is hitting your head at the peak of your stroke). finger to blade interface is more important which you can gain further access to by sanding.
I'd even argue long handle is more balanced, allowing you to do those chikita flicks easier.

I just can't find evidence that head heavy = more spin. At the end of the day, the mass of the entire setup matters more. Head heavy forces your wrist and shoulder to work harder giving you the illusion that you're producing more spin
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2018 at 5:30pm
Fun to play. Allows for the most creative freedom. Ex: you can't do the FH strawberry flick with shakehand. Penhold exclusive shot.

What I like about it is that you can really make it whatever style you like. 

You want to play like an old school single winged penholder and like using your natural athleticism in a match? Sure you can play this style.

You want to play as a tricky combo bat twiddling player? There are those out there too. Inverted/Long or short pips /inverted. Several styles.

You want to play like the pros and play the most "normal" style of game? Well with RPB and dual inverted you can pretty much do that. No shot is off limits for you there.

Take your pick.
smackman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2018 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by HuLimei HuLimei wrote:

just a short survey on penhold

what are you wanting to know? most kids are using shakehand for a reason, Chinese women mainly stopped long ago using penhold, most Korean and Japanese top players would have never tried

It is getting harder to find coaches for penhold
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Fun to play. Allows for the most creative freedom. Ex: you can't do the FH strawberry flick with shakehand. Penhold exclusive shot.
===============================

Do you have a video clip to show "penhold doing FH strawberry flick."
(Or any match video that one of the player does that.)
Thanks.
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

===============================

Do you have a video clip to show "penhold doing FH strawberry flick."
(Or any match video that one of the player does that.)
Thanks.

Is this what you wanted?

BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2018 at 7:46am
Thanks for the "penhold doing FH strawberry flick" video.
====================
Shake-hand can not do that? (suds79 said that shake-hand can not do that.)
I remember Ito Mima does that kind stroke against opponent's serve (once in a while.)
Hirano Miu does that too.

Edited by skip3119 - 10/25/2018 at 8:14am
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2018 at 9:02am
yeah that's it. On the intermediate level, that really can mess players up as it carries a lot of side.

Should be done sparingly to keep the surprise factor. Really easy to execute vs backspin. IMO harder vs topspin. But if you read some type of topspin in a serve, better off just hitting on top of the ball with a normal flick.

Can be done where you return side/back or side/top. You either just come more under and through the ball for side/back. Or you kinda scoop the ball lifting it up (think corkscrew type of spin) for side/top.

Edited by suds79 - 10/25/2018 at 9:03am
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2018 at 9:26am
Shank hand can also do that, but from BH. Haven't seen any SH players do that from FH side.

BTY Viscaria 90g
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2018 at 1:06pm
It's superior for serves.
Tony
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2018 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by chroot chroot wrote:

Shank hand can also do that, but from BH. Haven't seen any SH players do that from FH side.

Shakehand players do it all the time but the sidespin element is not as pronounced so you may not have noticed.
Look at those players who start the flick motion with a completely open bat. They will sometimes go around the side of the ball, strawberry flick sort of.

>60yo, losing weight 30 pounds to go

Xiom ZX1 (Blade) + DHS hurricane H3/H8 (rubbers)

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2018 at 3:12pm

=============
Watch some Ito Mima's videos as well as Hirano Miu's.
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2018 at 6:03pm
Ma Lin - penhold god, legend, have joga bonito in his play. Xu Xin boring to watch for me, no joga bonito.
Blade: Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: Victas V > 15 Extra
BH: Victas V > 15 Extra
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2018 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

=============
Watch some Ito Mima's videos as well as Hirano Miu's.

What I really meant was to do it using the FH side of your racket just like what Xu Xin does in the video. Using BH of the racket to do it is easy. I sometimes also do it during training with my coach, just for fun. Smile
BTY Viscaria 90g
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2018 at 9:27pm
If you watch enough Ito Mima and Hirano Miu's videos, you can easily see they do it with FH - once in a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic