Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jpen w/ no black sheet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jpen w/ no black sheet
    Posted: 10/21/2018 at 1:54pm
Does anyone know if there are any 10mm jpens out there that does not come with the standard black sheet and cork sheet on the backhand side?  I am looking for a "naked" back side so I can use RPB.

Thanks!

Edited by liulin04 - 10/21/2018 at 1:55pm
Sponsored Links

jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 2:38pm
Iruiru can order you one from Nittaku I know they will do 9mm not sure about 10mm
http://iruiru.com/goods_page.php?ct=B&mk=D&gd=BD360

Edited by jpenmaster - 10/21/2018 at 2:40pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 3:02pm
thanks.  There isn't any commercially available blade with such feature though?
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

thanks.  There isn't any commercially available blade with such feature though?

You can order one from Ariex. Their hinoki is not worse than that of Butterfly and Nittaku
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 3:27pm
same. I hate those annoying paint and cork at the back you have to strip away just to get access to the RPB side.

Xiom has good JPen head shape but that same black sheet what a waste
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 3:29pm
If you put rubber on the backside, it becomes head heavy and, also, you cannot feel the ball at impact. 
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

If you put rubber on the backside, it becomes head heavy and, also, you cannot feel the ball at impact. 
MYTHS.
I have a Jpen modified for RPB and the weight is fine. In fact, standard thin Cpens are head heavier.
Cork handle is practically weightless. Head size is small so rubber cut for Jpen is lighter than Rubber cut for Cpen. Feel comes from the interface b/w your hand/fingers and blade surface.

No offense but I feel like a lot of these answers echoed about Jpen are theoretical and people have never bothered to try it for themselves before commenting. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 3:53pm
I have tried. You are probably using some lightweight jpen. Good jpens weigh over 100 g. and if you put a rubber on the backside it becomes unplayable.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 10/21/2018 at 3:54pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 4:34pm
I used RPB on my red label KTS (~92 grams) and it was a tad light.  Definitely prefer a heavier blade.  Is there really no other options to purchase such blade without customizing it?
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 7:21pm
I wonder if I can use the same method for tt as what pros would use for skateboards.  Chicho, JPMaster, what do you guys think of this method?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW-gGMpZHGs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 8:06pm

I wonder if I can use the same method for tt as what pros would use for skateboards.  Chicho, JPMaster, what do you guys think of this method?

I don't think it is a good idea. The backside of the jpens is painted. What they do is removing a glued to the board sheet.

You can use a sandpaper. But instead of sanding by pressing the sandpaper with your fingers, glue the sandpaper to a piece of wood and sand the back of the blade by moving up and down the wooden piece. This way the surface will be uniform everywhere.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 10/21/2018 at 8:06pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 8:15pm

I don't think it is a good idea. The backside of the jpens is painted. What they do is removing a glued to the board sheet.

You can use a sandpaper. But instead of sanding by pressing the sandpaper with your fingers, glue the sandpaper to a piece of wood and sand the back of the blade by moving up and down the wooden piece. This way the surface will be uniform everywhere.

Oh, I thought it's just a sheet instead of painting it on. 
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 8:42am

Good jpens weigh over 100 g. and if you put a rubber on the backside it becomes unplayable.
Jpen is Jpen by 1 ply wood, head shape and handle nonetheless.
These Nittaku MF models for example are 7.6-8 mm thick and come without the annoying black sheet. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIj9TpSQrYw
Price seems reasonable too. 
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 9:09am
Just cut the cork and remove it to where you want it. The black is normally just paint. Your rubber will stick to it or just use some acetone to remove most of it. Or send it to me and I can modify it for you

Edited by jpenmaster - 10/22/2018 at 9:11am
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
BrunodeDanann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrunodeDanann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 9:35am
This one

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/nittaku-sou-mf-p-pen
Harimoto ALC
HUrricane 3
Vega asia
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2018 at 2:19pm
For people that don't use rpb, I always say why not stick a short pip ox on there (high on the blade if need be?)  Not much different from a paint sheet and you COULD use it if you wanted.   Esp on cpen you could flip to it for svc return.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2018 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

Just cut the cork and remove it to where you want it. The black is normally just paint. Your rubber will stick to it or just use some acetone to remove most of it. Or send it to me and I can modify it for you

Thanks Ryan.  When I order a blade, I'll have it sent to you and you can help me modify it, thanks JPENMASTER!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic