Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing from LPs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing from LPs?
    Posted: 10/21/2018 at 5:05pm
Hi
I've been playing LP BH chopper style my entire tt career (which is one year now) but not only do I like attacking but I also think it's the better style of playing especially with ABS balls... Do you, dear forum members think if I learned inverted BH play I could reach better results in the future? It really boggles with my mind recently.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links

a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 8:03pm
I do not recommend that if you play as chopper for all your life. It is difficult to adjust if you play such a long time with the same style. 

If you love attacking so much, there are always ways to achieve that. There are so many modern day chopper attacks a lot. I do find the LP suffered a lot with the change of Plastic balls. As a result, I started to uses antispin as full time, and I also twiddle a lot in games.

Chopper has certain set of footwork, tactic and mental anticipation. If you wanna switch to a different style, that is a lot of work if you are changing to a complete new style. Instead, I recommend you tweak your style to fit more attacking in them.

Edited by a23096713 - 10/21/2018 at 8:03pm
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 8:50pm
Well, OP's entire TT career spans one year, so pretty much anything is possible at this point: double inverted, penhold, hardbat, LP/SP/anti... 

Assuming OP plays TT for fun, they should go for whatever style produces more of it. 
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2018 at 10:49pm
Totally miss that one year thing part, silly me. Yeah, then it isn`t too late to switch to another style.
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 2:37am
Oh yeah I do play for fun just like everyone but my goal is to get better as time goes. I know some people that have played 5+ years whose BH is still terrible and they considered pimples to make it easier that's why I'm hesitant. Thank you for your opinions!
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 8:23am
I suggest learning to twiddle really seamlessly. It's hell playing a good twiddler. That way you can keep chopping but also attack with the bh any time you want. And not many players do it, so it has a big advantage with being unfamiliar.

notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by serr serr wrote:

my entire tt career

LOL

This was pretty funny. Seriously though, one year is nothing. Five is nothing. There are people who play for decades and then switch styles.  

My advice would be to not worry about results too much, explore and stick with what you enjoy the most, whether you choose pips or inverted. In the end, it comes down to the amount of work you put in, your environment, and genetics. Pips or not, your results won't be that different.

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 3:54pm

Oh yeah I do play for fun just like everyone but my goal is to get better as time goes. I know some people that have played 5+ years whose BH is still terrible and they considered pimples to make it easier that's why I'm hesitant. Thank you for your opinions!
haha, who told you that?

It is all in your strategiesTongue
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 4:54pm
Being good at TT is hard no matter what rubber you use.  Everything is a trade-off.  Most of the time people learn to play inverted BH first and then switch to LP as their game develops.  The OP didn't.  I can't evaluate whether ABS balls make a good enough reason to switch.  That is because I don't play with LP.   

But for the non-professional player, I think the decision comes down to what way of playing is more fun.  Of course winning is fun.  One could ask, how good can you reasonably hope to get and what style of play will work consistently at the very top of that level.  How old is the OP?  How fit?  How much does he/she play?  How good is the local competition?  Does the play have access to coaching or interest in it, or resources to pay for it?  Does the OP play in a league or in tournaments? 
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 5:29pm
With LP, at the beginner level, no body wants to practice with you, so you will end up playing mostly matches, and rely too much on pips to win points, so it’s almost impossible to progress. With inverted, there is no guarantee to improve, but at least there is a chance :).
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2018 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

my entire tt career

LOL

This was pretty funny. Seriously though, one year is nothing. Five is nothing. There are people who play for decades and then switch styles.  

My advice would be to not worry about results too much, explore and stick with what you enjoy the most, whether you choose pips or inverted. In the end, it comes down to the amount of work you put in, your environment, and genetics. Pips or not, your results won't be that different.

Yes, but there's more work to do with pimples (additional learning of FH chopping and fishing), and my time is limited. My goal is to win more but at the same time chopping is a lot of fun . @mhnh007 I've got mates that can loop regularly vs LP so it's not a problem luckily
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic