FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Mima Ito: Road to 2020 Tokyo Gold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2018 at 8:47pm
CNT closed the R&D group and stopped "copy cat" practice after LGL was out of the door. So, this is a new era LOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2018 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

<font size="3" color="#0033cc">Hi,
<font size="3" color="#0033cc">
<font size="3" color="#0033cc">It is remarkable how Ito can move above as she has.  She is special.  Also to keep in mind that she is young.  That means years more of development.
<font size="3" color="#0033cc">As a footnote: Let us not forget about Ishikawa.  Her improvement over the last year is outstanding.  I am so impressed with her, at her commitment at age 25, including a quite dramatic change in equipment.  Very few outside the Chinese can beat her.  A dream match for me would be Ishikawa versus Ito.
<font size="3" color="#0033cc">Upward!
crazy that she is only 25. I always forget how young she is. She's been around for decades and is still this young. Insane
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2018 at 10:57pm
If she is "hot" then she is unbeatable, but if she doesn't get "hot", then she gets knocked 4-0 easy, she doesn't have option 2 or 3 if option 1 doesn't work. She has only 1 option is Hit the ball.
mykonos96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 12:40am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

I doubt. Ito has defeated top CNT before wttc where she performed poorly.you can beat them at protours but not wttc or olympics

With all due respect, I think that is a fallacy.  Though I agree the CNT will put forth their best effort at the WC/OC, it's not like they have a switch that they can turn on as if to say oh we were just messing around in the Pro Tours; this is how we really play.

No . I mean they train more focusing in some player . Do you think that they train the same way when they re playing protours vs wttc?

Edited by mykonos96 - 11/05/2018 at 12:41am
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 12:53am
Mima Ito exclusive closed door training footage:

jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 2:04am
Mima Ito's record against
cnt players in the past 
5 months ~ 11wins, 3 losses.
She is getting better all the time.

Edited by jackwong23 - 11/05/2018 at 3:20am
AntSj00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AntSj00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 2:25am
Ito is indeed a very special player. It's not easy to knock down 3 great walls at once. I'm glad that she can destroy the dominance of CNT.
Will she get Gold in Tokyo 2020? I think 2 years is quite long. Each camp still has room to develop. The difference is that CNT has many high quality sparring partners, while Ito is not as lucky as CNT in this matter.

My heart really hopes there are players outside the CNT who are able to win Gold in OG. But my head said it was very, very difficult, even though nothing was impossible in Sports. But this is Table Tennis which results are easier to guess.
* Viscaria FL + H3P neo + OVP *
- Enjoy Your Life & Play Table Tennis -
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 3:37am
Originally posted by AntSj00 AntSj00 wrote:

Ito is indeed a very special player. It's not easy to knock down 3 great walls at once. I'm glad that she can destroy the dominance of CNT.
Will she get Gold in Tokyo 2020? I think 2 years is quite long. Each camp still has room to develop. The difference is that CNT has many high quality sparring partners, while Ito is not as lucky as CNT in this matter.

My heart really hopes there are players outside the CNT who are able to win Gold in OG. But my head said it was very, very difficult, even though nothing was impossible in Sports. But this is Table Tennis which results are easier to guess.

But who would have guessed that Miu Hirano would beat 3 top Chinese players at the Asian Championships last year?  I think that number is close to zero.  And who would have guessed that Mima Ito would beat LSW, Ding Ning, and completely destroy Zhu Yuling in Sweden.  And that's the great thing about sports.  Sometimes the seemingly impossible does happen as you mentioned.  Prior to the Athens Olympics, Wang Hao had beaten RSM every time except once ( I think they when they were juniors ).  And after Athens, WH dominated RSM.  But for that one moment, that one tournament, if a player like that gets into the zone, you can throw those predictions out the window.  That's the beauty of sports, or the cruelty if you are on the receiving end.
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 4:39am
I think Ito won convincingly. Her level is at the top class. She is now as good as the top Chinese players technically, tactically and mentally.  She might lose them the next time but she might also win the time after. But it'll be hard for Chinese players to totally shut her down like what they did with Miu Hirano.
Hirano is one-dimensional, she can only win with speed. The Chinese can find solutions to beat her.
Ito is multi-dimensional, she has so many variations, serves, pips block, pips topspin, pips punch, pips swipe, banana, strawberry. She can suddenly change the speed from fast to slow with pips and vice versa, add some weird sidespin, etc. And when she wants to play fast, she's faster and more compact than most players.

As you can see in the video that Zeio translated, Li Sun's instruction for Zhu Yuling was "force her to make unforced mistakes". The Chinese still have no answers to her aggressive, unique, diverse and unpredictable style. They could just wait for Ito to make unforced mistakes and when she didn't, they didn't have any solutions. So far no solution, although they must have studied her a lot.
I don't think the Chinese can create an Ito clone because she's so unique. But they will try to break down each of her variations/tricks and practice to deal with them. Like special sessions to practice how to deal with pips block, pips punch, strawberry, etc.
Tokyo 2020 will be exciting.

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 6:14am

[/QUOTE]

But who would have guessed that Miu Hirano would beat 3 top Chinese players at the Asian Championships last year?  I think that number is close to zero.  And who would have guessed that Mima Ito would beat LSW, Ding Ning, and completely destroy Zhu Yuling in Sweden.  And that's the great thing about sports.  Sometimes the seemingly impossible does happen as you mentioned.  Prior to the Athens Olympics, Wang Hao had beaten RSM every time except once ( I think they when they were juniors ).  And after Athens, WH dominated RSM.  But for that one moment, that one tournament, if a player like that gets into the zone, you can throw those predictions out the window.  That's the beauty of sports, or the cruelty if you are on the receiving end.
[/QUOTE] Wang hao didn't dominate him that much after the Olympics. He even almost lost in wttc 2011 against him.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 6:30am
Originally posted by balldance balldance wrote:

I think Ito won convincingly. Her level is at the top class. She is now as good as the top Chinese players technically, tactically and mentally.  She might lose them the next time but she might also win the time after. But it'll be hard for Chinese players to totally shut her down like what they did with Miu Hirano.
Hirano is one-dimensional, she can only win with speed. The Chinese can find solutions to beat her.
Ito is multi-dimensional, she has so many variations, serves, pips block, pips topspin, pips punch, pips swipe, banana, strawberry. She can suddenly change the speed from fast to slow with pips and vice versa, add some weird sidespin, etc. And when she wants to play fast, she's faster and more compact than most players.

As you can see in the video that Zeio translated, Li Sun's instruction for Zhu Yuling was "force her to make unforced mistakes". The Chinese still have no answers to her aggressive, unique, diverse and unpredictable<span ="vmod"> style. They could just wait for Ito to make unforced mistakes and when she didn't, they didn't have any solutions. So far no solution, although they must have studied her a lot.</span>
<span ="vmod">I don't think the Chinese can create an Ito clone because she's so unique. But they will try to break down each of her variations/tricks and practice to deal with them. Like special sessions to practice how to deal with pips block, pips punch, strawberry, etc.
</span>
<span ="vmod">Tokyo 2020 will be exciting.
</span>
<span ="vmod">
</span>

+1 Great post.
It's funny though. If his best advice was to make her make unforced errors with no clear plan to do so, then that's one of those wanna get away moments. BTW, I think he really means force her to make an error. An *unforced* error by definition means it wasn't an error caused by anything your opponent did, but more of a break in form or a silly mistake.

One thing that will be interesting to watch will be how Mima Ito and her coach play their cards. They know the CNT will be gunning for her. Does she add elements in closed training and spring it on them at the Olympics, or does she use it once or twice to see how her opponents react? Or maybe only try it on a very good player, but most unlikely to take an Olympic spot, such as CXT if they happen to meet. Can't underestimate the element of surprise.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 6:31am

As you can see in the video that Zeio translated, Li Sun's instruction for Zhu Yuling was "force her to make unforced mistakes". The Chinese still have no answers to her aggressive, unique, diverse and unpredictable<span ="vmod"> style. They could just wait for Ito to make unforced mistakes and when she didn't, they didn't have any solutions. So far no solution, although they must have studied her a lot.</span>
<span ="vmod">I don't think the Chinese can create an Ito clone because she's so unique. But they will try to break down each of her variations/tricks and practice to deal with them. Like special sessions to practice how to deal with pips block, pips punch, strawberry, etc.
</span>
</span>
<span ="vmod">
</span>

Won convincingly? Did you pay attention during the quarters and semis?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 6:44am
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Wang hao didn't dominate him that much after the Olympics. He even almost lost in wttc 2011 against him.

Here are their Pro Tour matches after Athens.  I'd call 11-1 pretty dominant:

2005 - Men's World Cup (BEL)                        WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    4   3   WANG Hao
2006 - JAPAN Open (JPN)                             WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    4   1   WANG Hao
2007 - Slovenian Open (SVN)                         WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    4   0   WANG Hao
2007 - LIEBHERR Men's World Cup (ESP)               WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    4   1   WANG Hao
2007 - LIEBHERR Men's World Cup (ESP)               WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    4   0   WANG Hao
2007 - Volkswagen Pro Tour Grand Finals (CHN)       WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    4   1   WANG Hao
2008 - Pro Tour VW Open (KOR)                       WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    4   2   WANG Hao
2008 - Olympic Games (CHN)                          WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    3   1   WANG Hao
2010 - Pro Tour, Qatar Open (QAT)                   WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    2   4   RYU Seungmin
2011 - World Table Tennis Championships (NED)       WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    4   3   WANG Hao
2012 - World Team Table Tennis Championships (GER)  WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    3   1   WANG Hao
2012 - World Tour, Korea Open (KOR)                 WANG Hao    RYU Seungmin    4   2   WANG Hao

Edited by pongfugrasshopper - 11/05/2018 at 6:45am
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 6:51am
Yeah pretty dominant, but he barely won twice in big competitions. That's why I said not that much. The thing is that it doesn't even matter that he won against Ryu. Ryu performed when they played the biggest competition of their life. Look at the matches after that. Did want hao win any of the big tournaments where he beat Ryu? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, wang hao is one of my favorites, but his career in terms of big titles was a tragedy. Still both of them will be remembered. Wang hao as having the best penhold backhand ever, and one of the best backhands ever. And Ryu seung min for having one of the best forehands and the fastest footwork ever.
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 7:13am
The World TT champs loss in 2011 Netherlands can't be right, since Wang Hao went on to lose in the final to Zhang Jike.

Edit: misread, the loss was for the Qatar open.

Edited by Bran - 11/05/2018 at 7:18am
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 8:37am

...And who would have guessed that Mima Ito would beat LSW, Ding Ning, and completely destroy Zhu Yuling in Sweden.  And that's the great thing about sports.
CLEARLY Mima Ito is using doping. She should give back her prize money and get tested. ITTF will ban Onigiri Rice balls because clearly this is giving them and unfair advantage
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 9:03am
Mima ito is 2.5 years older than harimoto. If he can approve as much as she did the last 2.5 years then he might be unbeatable (except for fzd). Big if though.
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 9:37am
Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

Mima ito is 2.5 years older than harimoto. If he can approve as much as she did the last 2.5 years then he might be unbeatable (except for fzd). Big if though.
Harimoto looks like he's adjusting to his height. Ccant move as fast as when he was 5'2
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2018 at 10:12am
Originally posted by HuLimei HuLimei wrote:

...And who would have guessed that Mima Ito would beat LSW, Ding Ning, and completely destroy Zhu Yuling in Sweden.  And that's the great thing about sports.
CLEARLY Mima Ito is using doping. She should give back her prize money and get tested. ITTF will ban Onigiri Rice balls because clearly this is giving them and unfair advantage
========================

What's wrong with the "Onigiri Rice balls"?             
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2018 at 7:56pm
STRIKING SIMILARITY.

Mima Ito is a striking similarity to Deng Yaping's image, stance, playing pattern..
   Agressiveness and cruelty in play is the clue for success everlasting. Deng was a cruel beast indeed.

Edited by igorponger - 11/06/2018 at 7:59pm
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2018 at 8:36pm

</span>
</span>
<span ="vmod">
</span>

Many dismissed Ito's style as being all high risk shots, but she actually doesn't play all hard now, it's a mix of hard and safer softer blocks which increased her consistency hugely. Also she's short which makes her more accurate since the ball is closer to her eyes. Like Deng Yaping who said all the balls looked like opportunities to smash since they were all so high relative to her haha...
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2018 at 8:42pm
I always thought the existing CNT women were behind the curve on adopting more aggressive serve-receive patterns compared to the Japanese team and it would come to bite them one day....Way too many passive long pushes that would get punished by good consistent attackers.

One the other hand, players like Wang Manyu and Sun Yingsha are really pushing the envelope but don't get the same opportunities :(
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2018 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I always thought the existing CNT women were behind the curve on adopting more aggressive serve-receive patterns compared to the Japanese team and it would come to bite them one day....Way too many passive long pushes that would get punished by good consistent attackers.

One the other hand, players like Wang Manyu and Sun Yingsha are really pushing the envelope but don't get the same opportunities :(
I think with how badly Mima Ito beat ZYL, I believe WMY has a real shot at getting that 2nd Olympic spot.  She's the best player of the next generation, has all the tools, and has developed mental toughness this year.  She had a somewhat unfortunate draw in Sweden getting two energy sapping defenders before running into CM (another contender).  Hope to see SYS in more tours as well but it will be tougher for her as she won't be a seeded player and has to go thru a tiring qualification which could hurt her in the main draw.  How the top CNT players play against Mima Ito is now the measuring stick because she's a very real threat for Olympic gold.
troubadour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 1:49am
And A few comments I read on  Ittf Weibo using google translate was about netizens complaining that the coaching style of the national team especially women was too ingrained in the old style of play, and due to it's efficacy, no one bothers about advancement in techniques, and the research group also closed down, while Japan is definitely innovating and doing a lot of work to be successful in Tokyo with the girls especially having an array of different shots selection and styles like the strawberry, the off the bounce style and others.
So if China that prides itself on it's innovations over the years stop their advancement of their styles and techniques, When other countries improve their table tennis level and innovate new styles they'll be no huge gulf
How many eyes have seen their dreams
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2018 at 7:08am
I remember a while back China made the decision to prohibit non-Chinese from playing in Chinese Super League. And I remember back then saying how bad of a decision it was. Bet they wish Mima Ito was in CSL to train against. LOL.
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2018 at 11:08am
WHY ITO MIMA SUPERIOR TO OTHER GIRLS BY FAR ?

MIMA ITO looks hefty, sturdy gal. This massive muscularity is a great advantage over all the other gals.

ITO's daily physical exersise is punching the "sand bag" vigorously, like a boxer. It is Japanese COACHING KNOWHOW, not so popular in China yet.      
mykonos96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

WHY ITO MIMA SUPERIOR TO OTHER GIRLS BY FAR ?

MIMA ITO looks hefty, sturdy gal. This massive muscularity is a great advantage over all the other gals.

ITO's daily physical exersise is punching the "sand bag" vigorously, like a boxer. It is Japanese COACHING KNOWHOW, not so popular in China yet.      

Your dream will be shattered in 2020. Have you lost faith in rusians beating chinese? You ll drink more in 2020 to quench your sadness. Ito wont win. Igor pick another sport its bad to be depressed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic