Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chopping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chopping
    Posted: 11/06/2018 at 5:26pm
Do you think it's still a viable style? Is it better to practice attacking for long term development? I mean with defensive style you technically need only one good backspin stroke (push, chop) while as an attacker you need a wider range of different strokes which means less practice time for each. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links

henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2018 at 6:23pm
First of all, all the good choppers I play against have more than one type of chop. And varies the amount of spin (sidespin, underspin, nospin etc.) So you'll have to practise different strokes. It's like saing technically you only need one stroke as an attacker. You only need to loop...

That said, if you're not aspiring to be number one in the world, play the style that you find the most fun. I've got good attackers in my club that plays with long pips, becuase they think it's fun.....
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2018 at 6:40pm
Chopping does not only need A good backspin stroke. I think you underestimate the amount of work chopper has to put in it. There are spin variations, speed of the foot work to cover the table, the endurance to last long games, the excellent ball control, the ability to counter attack... 

Also, it is not like the chopper don't use other technique like flick, 3rd ball attack...

All in all, I think it is harder to be a chopper. Is it a viable style? I don't really believe it has great future consider the Plastic ball greatly reduce the deadliness of the spin, and the speed of the counter loop also suffered greatly. Right now, I can expect my counter loop to be block/counter 70% of the time (the old 40mm ball, it'd be around ~30%)

But if you are playing for fun, just play what you want by all means
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2018 at 7:20pm
Thank you guys. Seems like the style really isn't that beneficial - it's a shame, because it's the most fun both to play and watch in my opinion. I wish for the 40 ball to be back
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic