Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

USATT CEO Gordon Kaye resignation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DonnOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USATT CEO Gordon Kaye resignation
    Posted: 11/07/2018 at 7:30am
Hi,

Does anyone have any background information on Gordon Kaye's resignation from the USATT?

Thanks,
Donn
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 8:21am
That... was somewhat unexpected. I don't have visibility into USATT inner workings, but I always appreciated Gordon's willingness to participate in this forum and being open about the issues USATT faced.  
USATT: ~1800
Dr. N Barricade - AK47 blue - Air UpUpUp (0.6mm)
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 9:14am
I have some insight :)
JOOLA Nobilis / SP (FH)/ Rhyzm Tech (BH)
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

I have some insight :)
Oh do tell LOL
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 11:16am
USATT CEO GORDON KAYE SUBMITS RESIGNATION
USATT CEO GORDON KAYE SUBMITS RESIGNATION

November 6, 2018 (Colorado Springs, CO) – USA Table Tennis (USATT) Board Chair Anne Warner Cribbs announced today that Chief Executive Officer Gordon Kaye has resigned his position effective November 30, 2018.

“We would like to thank Gordon for his four years of dedicated service to USATT, the board, its members, and constituents – and of course wish Gordon the very best for success in his future endeavors” commented Cribbs. “Our job as a board is to look to the future and recruit a new CEO prepared to lead and guide our organization through the opportunities that lie ahead.”

Under the guidance of the United States Olympic Committee, USATT recently completed the first phase of a strategic planning process and expects to approve a comprehensive plan at the December 2018 board meeting. Once approved, the board will move forward with the process of identifying and hiring a new CEO. The Board has identified a Search Committee which will engage an executive search firm to manage the recruiting process. The expected timeline is to identify a search firm by January 1, allow the selected firm to recruit and interview interested candidates, and complete the process on or about April 1, 2019.

acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 11:21am
I hereby nominate jackwong23
Tony
carlosfz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosfz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 11:26am
Gordon we are going to miss you. Cry
carlosfz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosfz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 11:27am
Gordon we are going to miss you!
1dennistt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 1:54pm
Sad to see you leaving, you will be missed, best of luck whatever you tackle next.
Xiom Hayabusa Z+, Donic Bluefire M2 (Black) Max, Spinlord Keiler (Red) 1.8 mm, Wt. 161 gm total weight

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 2:25pm
Maybe it's frustration at the lack of progress in advancing the state of table tennis in the US.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/Xiom Omega VII Asia Max BH/Omega VII Asia Max
OSP Virtuoso+, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

Maybe it's frustration at the lack of progress in advancing the state of table tennis in the US.

1+Clap
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

1+Clap

USA Table Tennis Announces New Leadership

Gordon Kaye selected to bring refreshed energy and direction to organization

Colorado Springs, CO (September 19, 2014) – USA Table Tennis (USATT), the national organizing body for table tennis in the United States, has announced the hiring of Gordon Kaye as its new chief executive officer. In this role, Kaye will be responsible for increasing USATT’s brand awareness and growing its more than 9,000-person membership.

Often thought of as a recreational past-time, research from the Sports and Fitness Industry Association indicates that there may be more than 17 million people in the U.S. who play table tennis (often referred to as Ping-Pong). The USATT has as its mission a goal to engage with recreational and tournament players alike, uniting the sport and providing opportunities to enhance the USA’s presence and competitiveness on the world stage.

“This is a pivotal time for USATT. We are excited to invest in an executive of Gordon’s caliber and experience. His expertise will help us as we examine and address the challenges and opportunities we face as an organization,” said Michael Babuin, USATT Board Chairman. “Gordon’s proven track record of success as an agent of strategic and successful evolution will help USATT better serve its members and bring increased exposure to the sport.”

Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 3:00pm
Since I have always been a straightforward contributor on this message board, I would like to be clear that my resignation was not out of frustration with USATT or the table tennis community as a whole. I felt it was the best time, given that the board is in the process of determining a strategic plan,to identify new leadership to provide a more focused approach to achieve the strategic priorities of the organization - that's it.

I believe in the sport of table tennis and believe in the future of USATT. I believe that table tennis can and will be a commercially viable sport in the United States and that our athletes will continue to improve their competitive position in international table tennis. More will follow at an appropriate time, but this announcement was made so that the organization can look to the future. 

It has been an honor and privilege to serve the USATT community for the last four years.

Edited by Gordy - 11/07/2018 at 3:02pm
JOOLA Nobilis / SP (FH)/ Rhyzm Tech (BH)
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 3:33pm
Thank you very much Gordon for all you done in such a short time, you will be miss and good luck!!
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 3:53pm
USATT is holding a Strategic Meeting in Colorado Springs, Nov. 3-4.

November 6, 2018 (Colorado Springs, CO) –  Chief Executive Officer Gordon Kaye has resigned his position effective November 30, 2018.

Must have been a spicy meeting. Wish Larry was there for the follow up blog post. Wink

Thanks Gordon on all of your work, having someone on the forum to listen to us fools was really really nice. I also think you were headed in the right direction in an obviously difficult task of growing the sport.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 4:10pm
Thanks so much for your work at USATT. The effort you made to communicate with members both here and through the USATT website was a huge shift in a positive direction for the organization. The attempts to change the Nationals and Open in respnse to members concerns should also be applauded. Not everything worked and not evryone agreed on whether some changes where good, but during your tenure I finally thought USATT was really trying to make things better for both the regular members and the elite members.

Best of luck with your future plans. If you go back to hockey just watch out for those mama grizzlies (aka hockey moms).

Mark

PS - Now you can come to an Open or Nationals and just enjoy yourself.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 5:46pm
Damn Gordon,

The Republicans got the Senate in the mid-terms. So now that DJT can't be impeached, he's gone on a warpath. I know he got Sessions. He got you too?

Jokes aside, we shall miss the transparency from the USATT CEO - I don't know if we'll ever see it at this level - even implicitly letting us know the challenges of managing USATT on this small a budget. Also, thanks again for bringing the Women's World Cup to Philly!
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 6:08pm
What USATT will do: appoint an American
What USATT won't do: appoint someone from a successful overseas TT body

What USATT will do: appoint someone who is a business executive
What USATT won't do: appoint someone with deep knowledge of table tennis

What USATT will do: talk about how this will fix TT in the USA's problems quickly and painlessly
What USATT won't do: be at all realistic about TT in the USA

(I must come back here in 6 months time, and see how many I got right.)

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Thanks so much for your work at USATT. The effort you made to communicate with members both here and through the USATT website was a huge shift in a positive direction for the organization. The attempts to change the Nationals and Open in respnse to members concerns should also be applauded. Not everything worked and not evryone agreed on whether some changes where good, but during your tenure I finally thought USATT was really trying to make things better for both the regular members and the elite members.

Best of luck with your future plans. If you go back to hockey just watch out for those mama grizzlies (aka hockey moms).

Mark

PS - Now you can come to an Open or Nationals and just enjoy yourself.

+1 Well said. I think many here share this sentiment. I hope the next CEO interacts with this forum like you graciously have. Enjoy the reduction in stress.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2018 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

What USATT will do: appoint an American
What USATT won't do: appoint someone from a successful overseas TT body
Logistically it makes sense for the individual to actually live in the USA, American or not.
BTW, USATT's Performance Director is Jorg Bitzigeio, former coach of the German Women's National Team.

Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

What USATT will do: talk about how this will fix TT in the USA's problems quickly and painlessly
What USATT won't do: be at all realistic about TT in the USA
I think you need to flip the answers on this one ... I mean quickly and painlessly ... anyone believe that?

Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2018 at 8:30pm
the usatt trumped him LOLLOL
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2018 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

the usatt trumped him LOLLOL
Fake news.  Wink
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2018 at 7:15am
Thanks for trying hard Gordy, ultimately you were like a medieval king surrounded by local dukes, counts and other powerful barons who could do their own thing leveraging tax on their land for themselves, without fearing much retaliation. France became a strong state after Philippe IV “le bel”, what he did to the Templars is utterly uncool tho but hey, he got the job done, sent a strong message to all those local seigneurs, eventually built a strong central state.
There is a slight problem though: it’s illegal in the USA to publicly burn people Jeanne d’Arc style.
I wish you good luck and thanks again for sharing USATT news and insight here every once in a while, that was so appreciated.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2018 at 9:21am

Since I have always been a straightforward contributor on this message board, I would like to be clear that my resignation was not out of frustration with USATT or the table tennis community as a whole. I felt it was the best time, given that the board is in the process of determining a strategic plan,to identify new leadership to provide a more focused approach to achieve the strategic priorities of the organization - that's it.

I believe in the sport of table tennis and believe in the future of USATT. I believe that table tennis can and will be a commercially viable sport in the United States and that our athletes will continue to improve their competitive position in international table tennis. More will follow at an appropriate time, but this announcement was made so that the organization can look to the future. 

It has been an honor and privilege to serve the USATT community for the last four years.

Did your agent write that? :)

Jk, sad to see you go. Appreciate your responsiveness. I'm sure you'll continue to contribute.
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 2:46pm
Does this mean I won't see Gordon at the Orlando Golden Corral?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Does this mean I won't see Gordon at the Orlando Golden Corral?
Don't see why not.  He's still listed in the players list for the U.S. Open.
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Did your agent write that? :)

Jk, sad to see you go. Appreciate your responsiveness. I'm sure you'll continue to contribute.

Agreed - that text is something that makes you think it could have been bot-generated. I would rather Gordy wrote something much shorter and looking a bit less like it was copied from some book of standard business texts.

But in any case, Gordon, many thanks for your time and efforts. We all hope you will continue helping TT in the US grow and become more popular and successful. Good luck!

As it was already mentioned above, the recipe is for USATT to become more realistic and more pragmatic. Stop thinking about short-term miracles, we need a long term grassroots-and-up strategy. If something is still not working for 20-30 years then perhaps some not-very-popular suggestions need to be re-evaluated?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 6:28am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Agreed - that text is something that makes you think it could have been bot-generated. I would rather Gordy wrote something much shorter and looking a bit less like it was copied from some book of standard business texts.
Technically, he's still CEO until Nov. 30.

Anyway, I think it should be a requirement for the next CEO to interact on this forum LOL
ocvillager View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2018 at 11:06am
Gordon is the best!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic