Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SP for FH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AntiDef View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntiDef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SP for FH
    Posted: 11/10/2018 at 11:22pm
Hey, I've recently gotten back into playing competitively after 3 years hiatus and I'm trying to decide which SP I should get for my FH (I use Sunflex Anti Loop on BH, on a Andro Nightmare All+ blade).

My playstyle is generally like so : 

I twiddle the bat quite often so that I can get aggressive with my BH also.
I generally don't play aggresive so I rather put spin on the ball, but I'd like have some power/speed (or as I like to call it, to add that "oumphf" that I need cause I can't hit well with my FH) in case I need to break out a smash/loop.

TL;DR I'd like to get a SP for my FH that has spin but a bit of speed so I can chop with them but also attack if needed.

Thanks in advance guys/girls.

AntiDef.
Andro Nightmare (ALL +)
Butterfly Impartial XB (Black 2.1)
Sunflex Anti Loop (Red 1.5)
Sponsored Links

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2018 at 11:40pm
If you play shakehand, vertically alligned pips are better for speed and spin on forehand. I'd recommend Spectol Blue or Red. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
AntiDef View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntiDef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 12:05am
Ah thanks, I was looking originally at Spectol Spinpips but couldn't decide.

What's the biggest difference between Spectol Blue and Spectol Red ?
Andro Nightmare (ALL +)
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 12:34am
I think if you don't want too much speed maybe the original super spinpips in 1.4-1.7

BTW Wu Yang hits and chops quite well with Spectol on the bh

Edited by JohnnyChop - 11/11/2018 at 12:36am
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
AntiDef View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntiDef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 1:03am
Yeah, that's what I was aiming for, and with thickness I'd go around 1.5-1.7 so you're spot on with that pretty much.
Andro Nightmare (ALL +)
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 8:26am
Spinpips is horizonatally aligned. If you are looking for decent spin, you would be better of with vertically aligned pips on the forehand of shakehand player. 

Edited by ericd937 - 11/11/2018 at 8:28am
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 8:09pm
Also, sponge thickness is more significant on pimple out than inverted rubber. The feel and characteristics of the rubber will be much different at different thicknesses.

Edited by ericd937 - 11/11/2018 at 8:09pm
AntiDef View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntiDef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 12:53am
Yeah, can imagine that, I'm using Andro Plasma 430 with 1.8 sponge, but I wanna go to SP cause I can't move that much around the table. So yeah I was thinking about 1.5-1.7 sponge for the SP.

Also I've decided to go with Spectol Blue
Andro Nightmare (ALL +)
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 9:17am
Originally posted by AntiDef AntiDef wrote:

Yeah, can imagine that, I'm using Andro Plasma 430 with 1.8 sponge, but I wanna go to SP cause I can't move that much around the table. So yeah I was thinking about 1.5-1.7 sponge for the SP.

Also I've decided to go with Spectol Blue

Nittaku besutry is good choice at 1.5 mm is as fast like other sp tensors at 1.8mm
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 12:53pm
It also depends upon how much of a “disturbing” effect you want on your pips. I play attacking SP on my BH but twiddle a fair amount.

If you play a tensioned pip like Spinlord Waran, other players may not even recognize that you have pips as it is so similar.

I use Stiga Radical and Clippa in 1.8 and they work well on my FH.
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 12:54pm
I play short pimple on my forehand. What is you reason behind playing with short pimple? do you have trouble generating spin on your forehand shots? Maybe you can post a video and we can work on the technique. but it is fun to play with it on forehand, so go for it if you want to! I think it is important to know what effect you want from the pimple, how do you want to play with it. 

There are grippy pips, which have less effect and non grippy pips, which have more effect. It is easier to topspin with grippy pips. Thinner sponge give more effect and thicker sponge is more for attack. In my opinion you want grippy, fast pips with thick sponge for forehand play because everything else is to slow. this will be closer to a inverted rubber compared to thinner sponge and no grip.  I think it will be hard to find pips which are good for both smashing and chopping. 

I play with boosted haifu dolphin and like it alot. 
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Lula Lula wrote:

I play short pimple on my forehand. What is you reason behind playing with short pimple? do you have trouble generating spin on your forehand shots? Maybe you can post a video and we can work on the technique. but it is fun to play with it on forehand, so go for it if you want to! I think it is important to know what effect you want from the pimple, how do you want to play with it. 

There are grippy pips, which have less effect and non grippy pips, which have more effect. It is easier to topspin with grippy pips. Thinner sponge give more effect and thicker sponge is more for attack. In my opinion you want grippy, fast pips with thick sponge for forehand play because everything else is to slow. this will be closer to a inverted rubber compared to thinner sponge and no grip.  I think it will be hard to find pips which are good for both smashing and chopping. 

I play with boosted haifu dolphin and like it alot. 

+1
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

AntiDef View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntiDef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 3:35pm
I play with short pimples cause I'm disabled so I can't move much around the table.
Andro Nightmare (ALL +)
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 3:47pm
Okey! I dont know if short pimple is the right option if you have trouble to move around the table :) In my experience you need to come more correct to the ball with short pips, since if you do not hit the ball at the highest point you will have to lift the ball with no spin. In my humble opinion i think you should play better with an inverted rubber, maybe a china rubber where you can get a lot of spin on the ball even if you do not hit it at the highest point. But if you want to play with short pimple i think you should go with a pimple rubber with a lot of effect. A friend of mine play  with Spinlord Keiler, that have a lot of effect but might be harder to smash with. He have it on backhand. 
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 4:07pm

Okey! I dont know if short pimple is the right option if you have trouble to move around the table :) In my experience you need to come more correct to the ball with short pips, since if you do not hit the ball at the highest point you will have to lift the ball with no spin. In my humble opinion i think you should play better with an inverted rubber, maybe a china rubber where you can get a lot of spin on the ball even if you do not hit it at the highest point. But if you want to play with short pimple i think you should go with a pimple rubber with a lot of effect. A friend of mine play  with Spinlord Keiler, that have a lot of effect but might be harder to smash with. He have it on backhand. 

+1, SP may not be a good choice for a disabled person. I have tried quite a few SPs, can't name one that would be a good choice for a passive game.

I would try inverted rubber that can let you chop and loop like Gambler Reflectoid or Air Defender from colestt. Both are cheap to try.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 11:51pm
With short pimples vs inverted its easier to stay at the table and not get pushed back. When I played inverted on both sides I found myself getting pushed back off the table much more often. There could for sure be some benefits of playing short pimple to someone who couldn't move so much. That being said, I wouldn't go for super fast max sponge tensioned type of short pimples. Go for something around 1.5 thickness. Spectol Blue or Stiga Clippa would by my suggestions to try first. 

If you really want some help with your game, you should upload some videos of you playing. I'd like to see what your current style is and what your physical limitations might be. 
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Spinpips is horizonatally aligned. If you are looking for decent spin, you would be better of with vertically aligned pips on the forehand of shakehand player. 

Should not be a deal breaker, but I do agree vertical pips orientation is better for FH. However, horizontal pips is fine for me on either sides.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Should not be a deal breaker, but I do agree vertical pips orientation is better for FH. However, horizontal pips is fine for me on either sides.

+1
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2018 at 7:18pm
Vertical pips are less spin-oriented and have a flatter trajectory.  Horizontal pips are more for spin.  Take a look at all of the short pips that are more spin-oriented and you'll see they are horizontally aligned.  You have it backwards eric.  
SpinPips Blue is much slower than the Red version. I've played with most of the major brands of short pips. I'm currently playing with Joola Ultra Express in 2.0 on my FH.  I've also played with Victas 102 in 1.8 on my FH quite a bit and did very well.  The 101 is vertically aligned and more difficult for opponents.  102 is horizontally aligned and easier to spin and play with.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
AntiDef View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntiDef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2018 at 7:35pm
Ah okay, but as I'm in Iceland it's quite time consuming getting the rubbers, but the dealer here has Buttrefly Impartial XS and XB, which would you recomend of those two for FH then ?
Andro Nightmare (ALL +)
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2018 at 7:44pm

Ah okay, but as I'm in Iceland it's quite time consuming getting the rubbers, but the dealer here has Buttrefly Impartial XS and XB, which would you recomend of those two for FH then ?
Never played with XS but I use a XB in my FH (I´m a penholder) and I say it is extremely fast. When paired with a hard blade it become tough to control.
Actually, I tested only one SP faster than Impartial XB: Rakza PO.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2018 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Vertical pips are less spin-oriented and have a flatter trajectory.  Horizontal pips are more for spin.  Take a look at all of the short pips that are more spin-oriented and you'll see they are horizontally aligned.  You have it backwards eric.  
SpinPips Blue is much slower than the Red version. I've played with most of the major brands of short pips. I'm currently playing with Joola Ultra Express in 2.0 on my FH.  I've also played with Victas 102 in 1.8 on my FH quite a bit and did very well.  The 101 is vertically aligned and more difficult for opponents.  102 is horizontally aligned and easier to spin and play with.

On slower contact, you are correct. SpinPips Red is softer and has more of a tensioned catipult feel. I usually play with sponge thickness of about 1.5. SpinPips Red is pretty soft and it bottoms out on hard hits with the thin sponge. Spin Pips Blue is Harder. If you hit harder, it goes faster. I would argue because it doesn't bottom out as easily, Blue has higher speed potential if you have a powerful stroke. Whereas the maximum speed potential of SpinPips Red is limited because on hard hits, it bottoms out and you lose any catipult. I've played a good deal with both SpinPips and Spectol Red and Blue. 

Edited by ericd937 - 11/14/2018 at 8:33pm
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2018 at 8:32pm
"Vertical pips are less spin-oriented and have a flatter trajectory.  Horizontal pips are more for spin.  Take a look at all of the short pips that are more spin-oriented and you'll see they are horizontally aligned."

In theory, that is correct. But it depends on what style you grip the racket and on which wing you play the short pimples.  Think of it this way, if you turn the racket a bit, horizontally aligned pips become vertical. Its hard to make spin with vertically aligned pimples on the backhand of a shakehand player becuase its difficult to make your stroke when turning the racket up to the angle that would be required to make spin. On a shakehand players forehand stroke, its easiy to change the racket angle and make spin with vertically alligned pimples. I have no idea about the different pinhold grips, but I'm sure theres a whole scince behind pimple structures for each grip. 

Edited by ericd937 - 11/15/2018 at 4:29am
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2018 at 7:32am
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

+1, SP may not be a good choice for a disabled person. I have tried quite a few SPs, can't name one that would be a good choice for a passive game.

I would try inverted rubber that can let you chop and loop like Gambler Reflectoid or Air Defender from colestt. Both are cheap to try.

actually short pips are very popular amongst disabled players, especially on the backhand side. Because they make the ball dead and slow down the speed. Some popular ones are Speedy Soft Dtecs, Spectol Red, Dr Neubauer Diamant(medium), Challenger Attack. However for the forehand side it's less common I have a friend who is using Stiga Radical 2.0, I know another guy who is very succesful with Giant Dragon 612(medium) and last but not least Hexer Pips 2.0. It only works if you are able to stay really close to the table with the forehand. 
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2018 at 3:09pm

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

On slower contact, you are correct. SpinPips Red is softer and has more of a tensioned catipult feel. I usually play with sponge thickness of about 1.5. SpinPips Red is pretty soft and it bottoms out on hard hits with the thin sponge. Spin Pips Blue is Harder. If you hit harder, it goes faster. I would argue because it doesn't bottom out as easily, Blue has higher speed potential if you have a powerful stroke. Whereas the maximum speed potential of SpinPips Red is limited because on hard hits, it bottoms out and you lose any catipult. I've played a good deal with both SpinPips and Spectol Red and Blue. 

The difference is very small, and on power shot, it's non-existence.  That is why on FH it does not matter much which pip orientation you play, but on BH, horizontal is better, as you have more grip for control.  Andro Hexer PIPs allow you to glue either horizontally or vertically. You definitely want to glue horizontally for BH, unless you used to play with vertical pips on BH, and excel with it for some reason.  On FH, it does not matter, as you will adjust according to the pip orientation, and can produce the same type of ball, again unless you are very good player, and very picky about your well developed stroke.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2018 at 6:50pm

"Vertical pips are less spin-oriented and have a flatter trajectory.  Horizontal pips are more for spin.  Take a look at all of the short pips that are more spin-oriented and you'll see they are horizontally aligned."

In theory, that is correct. But it depends on what style you grip the racket and on which wing you play the short pimples.  Think of it this way, if you turn the racket a bit, horizontally aligned pips become vertical. Its hard to make spin with vertically aligned pimples on the backhand of a shakehand player becuase its difficult to make your stroke when turning the racket up to the angle that would be required to make spin. On a shakehand players forehand stroke, its easiy to change the racket angle and make spin with vertically alligned pimples. I have no idea about the different pinhold grips, but I'm sure theres a whole scince behind pimple structures for each grip. 

Among sp used on FH with pros like carneros zarif they play with raystorm that is vertical aligned high arc like smooth and is very spinny
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2018 at 10:13am
I'd recommend one of the SPs that has been redesigned for the 40+ plastic ball. It makes a big difference in speed. Look at the ITTF LARC for OUT rubbers with recent registration numbers, e.g.

You'll need to know which OUT rubbers are SP vs MP or LP but that's easily determined from the various manufacturers' marketing material.
BBC, SP, LP
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

I'd recommend one of the SPs that has been redesigned for the 40+ plastic ball. It makes a big difference in speed. Look at the ITTF LARC for OUT rubbers with recent registration numbers, e.g.

You'll need to know which OUT rubbers are SP vs MP or LP but that's easily determined from the various manufacturers' marketing material.

Many high level players are still using superspinpips dont know the thickness I guess if its unboosted must be at least 2.2mm
AntiDef View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntiDef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2018 at 3:13pm
I decided to go with Butterfly Impartial XB with  2.1 sponge, quite soft and really good control, pretty much the ideal short pimples for me, also as they're vertically aligned like most of you recommended.

So thanks for the advice and recommendations guys.

AntiDef.
Andro Nightmare (ALL +)
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2018 at 4:07pm

I decided to go with Butterfly Impartial XB with  2.1 sponge, quite soft and really good control, pretty much the ideal short pimples for me, also as they're vertically aligned like most of you recommended.

So thanks for the advice and recommendations guys.

AntiDef.

Have sink against Loops?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic