Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Oza Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Oza Review
    Posted: 11/27/2018 at 6:26am
My sheet of Oza arrived this morning.  It looks like Oza is Xiom's take on the direction that Tibhar took with Hybrid K1 - a tacky, lower-cost ESN rubber for the Asian market.  I picked this sheet up from Ali for $27 - no grumbles about the price obviously!

Those last two images are taken from Ali - I just can't get decent close-up pics with my phone. 

Packaging is basic ESN fare - just a folded piece of cardboard.  The rubber has a thin plastic protection sheet - not as nice as the ones you get with K1, just a basic one that you see with tacky ESN products.  Sponge is small-pore, and feels hard.  The packaging is labelled up as "very hard".  The topsheet feels medium, and is only slightly tacky - lower tack than K1.

It's heavy - 76g uncut, standard ESN size of 169x169.  Better get to the gym!

First Session

Used Oza last night (on a Yinhe M201) for a short training session, followed by a league match.  I'll put this into a more structured format after more time with the rubber.

The feel is very hard.  The sponge is hard, and the topsheet is pretty hard too.  The tack is there, but low.  There's plenty of general grip available as well, so there's no ball slip.

It has very little catapult - it's just a tough old boot all round and the speed comes from the hardness rather than bounciness.  It's incredibly linear - maddeningly so at times.  Lower catapult than K1, Golden Tango, Tau.  This makes it easy to use when close-in, but takes effort from further back.

Spin is good, with caveats.  It works well when brush looping, opens up against backspin well, and is very solid when pushing.  On medium effort loops it's underwhelming - arc is stable and medium arc but spin isn't amazing.  On big shots it works better - but it takes a lot of effort and arm speed to get the best out of it.  It's tiring to use.

Block and smash seemed very good for a rubber of this type - the low tack and hardness means you can still play a direct straight game easily in comparison with "proper" tacky rubbers.

It does have potential for a close-in controlled offense game.

Edited by AndySmith - 11/29/2018 at 6:43am
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 4:45pm
Try using a tripod for your phone. Nothing expensive. Poundland has them for a pound

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2018 at 7:22pm
But, how does it play. Can you compare it to Genesis II M? 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2018 at 10:13am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

But, how does it play. Can you compare it to Genesis II M? 

I'm using it tonight.  I haven't used Genesis II though.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2019 at 8:29am
How is OZA vs Omega V Asia?
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2019 at 12:44pm
Less catapult than Tau? I think that was the reason Tau was discontinued. Tau had problems counterlooping away from the table. Oza just sounds like it's even worse than that.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic