Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Remodeled ABS Balls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remodeled ABS Balls
    Posted: 12/07/2018 at 12:12pm
The plastic ball has also improved my technique. Especially on BH, where I switched from looping the ball from mid distance, to quick off-the-bounce punching without any spin. My boxing technique is so good now thanks to no spin ABS balls. Might as well switch to short pips.Dead
Sponsored Links

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2018 at 1:34am
I actually do. The plastic ball improved my technique, as I have to have better technique to play with the same quality that I had with the celluloid ball. Especially on the forehand my weight transfer is way better than with the celluloid ball.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2018 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

And you are doing all those things?

Yes.

A better question is, why aren't you?

Your silence is consent. By your actions, it would seem that you would prefer to play with not-round garbage balls for the next 10 years.

Edited by icontek - 12/06/2018 at 5:19pm
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2018 at 9:44am
Originally posted by jok2 jok2 wrote:

We got the same new charge of the GEWO ABS training balls. Contra acknowledged that this is a bad charge and they are sending us new ones (hopefully of the better quality).

That's interesting. Thx for letting us knowSmile
jok2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jok2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2018 at 8:40am
We got the same new charge of the GEWO ABS training balls. Contra acknowledged that this is a bad charge and they are sending us new ones (hopefully of the better quality).
Gewo Königsklasse Karbon Sieben, ST
FH: Butterfly Impartial XS 1.7mm
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1, 1.4mm
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2018 at 12:35am
And you are doing all those things?
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2018 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Your attitude of "You will get used to the different balls" is part of the problem that lets TT manufacturers get away with selling factory 2nds and 3rds and full blown defects at retail costs. 

Please stop supporting them.

Can you be more specific - should I refuse to play with the official ball of the given tournament, stop buying balls from a given manufacturer (that's fine, already doing that), or stop playing TT altogether (that will teach ITTF a lesson for sure!).

Although I don't like Nittaku Premiums, especially when they age, I think that they are most like the celluloid ball in terms of similarity. Nittaku still does quality control, and makes round balls.

The XSF ball, although favored by flat hitters, is not similar to celluloid.

And DHS balls have such a high defect and factory reject rate that although several out of a dozen might play like an NP40, I think it's worth boycotting DHS and their sub brands, as their consistency of 3*** is lower than many 2* celluloid training balls.

Write tournament organizers, ask for NP40s. Ask your local clubs to stop spending money on lesser quality balls.

And if you buy DHS or any of the Joola, Donic, Stiga, etc balls made by them, and you find non round or thick spot balls, send them back to the dealer, ask for a refund.

The only way that ball manufacturers will up their game is if we stop buying their garbage, or ask them to absorb the cost of us QC'ing their substandard product.  And arguably, the ITTF needs to hear from players, through letters, protests and equipment boycotts.

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2018 at 1:29pm
It's not something that is too bad, that's why I don't do anything against it. Raising net height or some other things would be soumething that a lot of people would protest against. Then again those changes probably won't happen as it will be impossible to buy new nets, tables etc. around the world.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2018 at 3:58am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Your attitude of "You will get used to the different balls" is part of the problem that lets TT manufacturers get away with selling factory 2nds and 3rds and full blown defects at retail costs. 

Can you be more specific - should I refuse to play with the official ball of the given tournament, stop buying balls from a given manufacturer (that's fine, already doing that), or stop playing TT altogether (that will teach ITTF a lesson for sure!).
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2018 at 11:42pm

The best way to perform well with different balls is to train with a lot of them. If you play with a lot of different practice partners and each has their preferred ball, then you'll automatically be able to play with all of them after some time. I played with xushaofa, joola flash, gewo slp, gewo select pro, dhs, butterfly and a few others. Since I've used all of them for many hours, I have no problem playing with all of them. Warm up before tournaments or league matches is enough to fully get comfortable with them. Even balls I haven't used before like the tsp ball didn't bother me when I first used them. I was someone that didn't like the plastic balls and their differences between brands, but I got used to the different balls. There are so many other things that could be more bothersome, like slippery floors, lightning or the different tables. If you can somewhat put the ball on the table, then you'll have no problem playing with the different balls.

As you point out, we already have to deal with different lighting, flooring, humidity and tables.

Adding one more variable that can be XSF, NP40, or DHS is an exponential change toward greater randomness, because maths. The garbage white plastic balls are not simply "3x randomness" it's "3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 randomness" because they interact with each of the other variables.

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2018 at 9:46pm
The best way to perform well with different balls is to train with a lot of them. If you play with a lot of different practice partners and each has their preferred ball, then you'll automatically be able to play with all of them after some time. I played with xushaofa, joola flash, gewo slp, gewo select pro, dhs, butterfly and a few others. Since I've used all of them for many hours, I have no problem playing with all of them. Warm up before tournaments or league matches is enough to fully get comfortable with them. Even balls I haven't used before like the tsp ball didn't bother me when I first used them. I was someone that didn't like the plastic balls and their differences between brands, but I got used to the different balls. There are so many other things that could be more bothersome, like slippery floors, lightning or the different tables. If you can somewhat put the ball on the table, then you'll have no problem playing with the different balls.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2018 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

An ignorant playerbase deserves an ignorant governing head.

That's just it, I think that a lot of TT players are NOT ignorant, but they are POWERLESS in the face of the ITTF, even the pros are ultimately subject to the ball manufacturers who write their paychecks.

Frankly, with all of the different ball constructions, it completely kills my desire to train on one ball or another. And so far, I figured out that although my hitter friends prefer the XuShaoFa Seamless (and some tournaments run this ball) I still prefer the Nittaku Premiums, which have the most "similarities" to celluloid (although they have far less spin).

The problem as I see it is that there is NO training ball that plays like a Nittaku Premium. So you are forced to buy NP's if you want to train for an NP tournament. That's extortion, plain and simple.

For about a year I made the mistake of paying to use DHS D40+ *** as training balls. It was a mistake, because whether I got them from questionable places like TTNPP or reputable sites like tabletennis11, there's easily 25-35% defect rate - and those defects with an improperly balanced spot do NOT play like NP's.

Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2018 at 5:56pm

Yes, those are the ones.
They changed the properties of the ball without changing the packaging.
If you didn't buy them last week, you have the old rough yellowish version.
they are rough, but not yellowish.

You have the old version. And yes, those are yellowish compared to actually white balls. Look closely.

Icontek, I agree this is horrifying. And this is just what I can pick up as an insider. So we are merely talking about the tip of the iceberg. But guess what? Most players here do not care. They just shut off their head and play like they always do. They don't even notice any differences between balls.
They just wonder why they suddenly lose 200 rating points. And then they quit.
Also, players who can't read spin and slam slightly high balls suddenly win 200 points and don't even wonder why after all these years they suddenly gain massive points.

An ignorant playerbase deserves an ignorant governing head.

Lightzy, I just guessed they are some form of chinese rebrand, since GEWO always used to rebrand chinese balls. And the DHS balls are just the most likely ones. I never played with them though.
Also, they are still heavy, solid, robust, slightly textured with great grip. The old version. I'm talking about the new version. I'm talking about the new version because it's like, really new. Most likely, not many people have had such new ones yet. And for some reason, the manufacturer is trying to keep the alterations a secret. Do you need more clarifications?
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2018 at 2:44pm
How can they be DHS rebranded if the DHS balls are the exact opposite. Heavy, solid, robust, slightly textured with great grip
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2018 at 8:41am

Yes, those are the ones.
they are rough, but not yellowish.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2018 at 1:31am

Yes, those are the ones.

*THIS*

We tolerate this as players.

We tolerate this as consumers.

Why?

"“I am so excited about this competition. Kids are very creative and I can’t wait to see the many different designs we will receive from around the world. It gives us a good opportunity to get some newcomers involved in our sport. I do believe that once the kids have designed a ball, most certainly they will want to try to play a game of table tennis.“ Steve Rowe"

Edited by icontek - 12/02/2018 at 2:13am
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2018 at 4:40pm
Yes, those are the ones.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2018 at 4:26pm
I'm talking about these link
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2018 at 4:19pm

Don't know if we are thinking of the same balls, but the new gewo training balls don't break at all and are even better than the gewo select pro competition 3 star balls

are you referring to the ones which have a very rough surface when new?
If so, I agree. (As long as the old training balls are rough, they have more spin than the three star balls.)
If not, you have the old version.
Both have the same stamp.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2018 at 4:08pm
Don't know if we are thinking of the same balls, but the new gewo training balls don't break at all and are even better than the gewo select pro competition 3 star balls
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2018 at 2:50pm
Today I played with the recently revisioned GEWO ABS training balls.

They now have smooth surface instead of rough, are white instead of yellowish, slightly translucent, have a smaller cell wall, break rather easily and get markings from table like CA (seamless) balls.
And they sound a bit broken, similar to 1st gen CALOLLOLLOL
They also play a bit more similar to CA. Less heavy feeling.

I guess it's a DHS rebrand but IDK honestly.
Somebody else tried these or similar new balls?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic