Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hurricane Backhand on ALC Blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ForeverU850 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForeverU850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane Backhand on ALC Blade
    Posted: 12/01/2018 at 2:54pm
I currently use a Viscaria with MX-Ps on both sides, however, after recently trying other setups I have 100% decided to switch to Hurricane on my forehand. While I am certain of this, my only question is whether H3 will work well on the bh of a Viscaria (Yes I know Long 5 but that's a different blade). 

Yesterday I tried a BTY Liu Shiwen ZLF with Hurricane on both sides and it was amazing. I was able to flick and attack with my backhand like never before. I really enjoyed the controlled speed and tackiness. My concern is whether or not I will have that same experience on an ALC blade such as the Viscaria. Since I'm a college student I'd like to avoid purchasing a blade and/or rubbers that won't be a good fit. 

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with using a Hurricane backhand on an ALC blade. Please share your experiences and/or recommendations for me. I'm basically looking to emulate the feeling I had playing with the Liu Shiwen ZLF setup yesterday.

Thanks! 
Sponsored Links

chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2018 at 3:05pm
I am using Viscaria but have never tried Chinese tacky rubbers on BH. But, Chinese tacky rubbers like soft blades with limba surface in general, Long 5 and LSW ZLF all fall in this category.

My suggestion is that you buy a LSW as a backup and try to put a H3 (37 degree) on your Viscaria's BH. If you don't like it, keep your LSW and sell Viscaria here. It's a hot blade, you don't have to worry about takers.
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForeverU850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2018 at 3:18pm
I appreciate your reply! What you mentioned about soft blades is exactly my concern with using H3 on BH with a Viscaria. Unfortunately, as mentioned in the post I'm a college student and it wouldn't be wise for me to purchase a new blade right now. It also wouldn't be right for me to sell the Viscaria because it was given to me. I'm mostly curious what (if anything) will have the most similar effect on a Viscaria. 

Thanks!
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2018 at 3:19pm
Use T05 and be done
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
purpletiesto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2018 at 9:49pm
I have an idea. Right. Get this.

Since you're certain about putting hurricane on fh. Spend $20 and do that.

THEN (this is where it gets tricky)...

Hold the racket as you would when playing with H3 on fh then hold the racket head with the opposing hand and loosen your grip on your racket hand. Then rotate said hand 180 degrees and regrip the racket handle. Now you have H3 on bh and you can make an educated decision whether you like it or not.

Edited by purpletiesto - 12/01/2018 at 9:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForeverU850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2018 at 10:50pm
Haha I get that but part of the reason for making the thread was to see if a different rubber like Skyline on Viscaria would act similar to h3 on a ZLF blade for example. I'm really not sure and just wanted to hear of anyone else's experience using this combination. 

Thanks 
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2018 at 1:33am
Originally posted by chroot chroot wrote:

I am using Viscaria but have never tried Chinese tacky rubbers on BH. But, Chinese tacky rubbers like soft blades with limba surface in general, Long 5 and LSW ZLF all fall in this category.
Interesting you said that because I am planning to do exactly this, put a Hurricane 2 Neo on BH of Ma Lin Carbon, which has limba outer ply.
Right now I´m using Goldarc 8 50° but this combination results in a hollow feel, it´s not solid at all.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2018 at 8:26am
u850,a Viscaria will never play like LSW ZLF on the BH but if you want to try , a classic DHS rubber available with 37 degrees sponge might be playable. I have a 37 degree H3 on the BH of a ML5 and it is ok.
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2019 at 10:07pm
The LSW is slower and significantly more flexible than the Viscaria.  Would you be comfortable trading your Viscaria for a LSW?  I suspect you could find someone on this site to do so.  
DHS ML5 (W968), Hurricane 3, Dignics 09c
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic