Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How to loop relaxed? I need tips.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to loop relaxed? I need tips.
    Posted: 12/05/2018 at 1:43am
Hi, I’m having a bit of trouble looping relaxed. I want to relax more in the sholder and hand. But I’m having trouble, is there anyone that has some tips as to how I can do this (relax more)

My loops feel somewhat forced and I want to learn how to be a better FH looper :-)
Sponsored Links

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2018 at 2:02am
I find that focusing on tensing stomach muscles helps.

FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2018 at 5:37am
You relax in the hand and shoulder to allow the hips and legs do their work in rotation. If you think about your hands and shoulder too much oyou probably won't find it easy to accomplish. It's better focusing on hip snap and feeling the weight transfer from right to left leg (for right hander). The relaxation will fall into place. Focus on using your body first, relaxation follows later. If you are using mostly arm and are stiff it won't be possible to relax in the required way to get whip and snap.

This gives you an idea of how the mechanics should be working. Try shadow swinging to get the feel. https://youtu.be/iR_ll18VZg8
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2018 at 6:47am
FruitLoop: amazing tutorial 😀
yuri.saldon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yuri.saldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2018 at 7:19am
I was facing the same problem until i saw a video last week saying the benefits of relaxing and just like that I started to do more relaxed loops and everything. It is like magic loops havor more speed, spin and I have more stamina.

I think it's a transition and you'll have to be aware that in the beginning mistakes will be frequent but in the end it's worth.
BrunodeDanann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrunodeDanann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2018 at 7:48am
widen all your movements.

transfer the weight from your back foot to yout front foot at the same time you twist your hips.
These way all your body works, not just arm and hand.
Harimoto ALC
HUrricane 3
Vega asia
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2018 at 12:36pm
My recommendation would be to either find a place or get a robot and train at home, or find a partner/coach that can work on perfecting your form when you play and feed you some multiball... What you are asking for is something that with practice it will naturally start improving in your game with time and practice. During practice focus on being consistant and make the loops more spinny than fast... Also if you want to loop more relaxed concentrate on the quality of the loop, the placement and the spin rather than speed. The better you will get in being consistant keepin loops on the table with spin, the more you engage legs to it the more speed you will develop with time. Some players also play tense, due to having large hands and small/thin handles on their blades (this often causes you to overgrip thus adding extra tension). Once again practice practice and eventually you will achieve what you want!
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by FruitLoop FruitLoop wrote:

You relax in the hand and shoulder to allow the hips and legs do their work in rotation. If you think about your hands and shoulder too much oyou probably won't find it easy to accomplish. It's better focusing on hip snap and feeling the weight transfer from right to left leg (for right hander). The relaxation will fall into place. Focus on using your body first, relaxation follows later. If you are using mostly arm and are stiff it won't be possible to relax in the required way to get whip and snap.

This gives you an idea of how the mechanics should be working. Try shadow swinging to get the feel. https://youtu.be/iR_ll18VZg8

I'm going to plug TTedge.com . You will learn much there. It's sort of crazy how much can be learned from that site.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2018 at 6:44am
Hi I got to test a little with a robot yesterday, what I learned when looking and trying to think on different things. Something hit me when watching videos, I think maybe I’m hitting the ball too far in front of me. Ben Larcombe said something that hit me:
When it comes to getting into the right position it can be useful to think of a triangle.

Make a triangle between your shoulders and your hands by reaching out in front of you, with both arms, and putting your hands together. Then twist slightly so that your hands and pretty much in line with your right foot. Assuming you are right-handed this is the perfect positioning for your forehand loop.

When I make this triangle I hit the ball (at least) 25-30 cm further back. That combined with trying to use my feet, moving my center of gravitation ment that I hit the ball like a ton of bricks (I tried to slow down, but the speed and spin where much higher than I’m used to, it was really fun)
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2018 at 11:26am
Good work. Film yourself playing and you can analyse your strokes more effectively or even better ask others to comment.
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2018 at 12:11pm
I have been struggling with the same problem.  Along with envisioning the triangle, I have found things to be more relaxed and reliable when I make sure I am staying low enough that my eyes are at ball level when it bounces.  Then I instinctively seem to come through the ball better.  There are so many things to think about in such a short time in making a loop, until you get it into muscle memory, I try to keep it simple.

Xiom Haybusa Zxi
FH: Xiom Omega IV Elite
BH: Xiom Omega VI Europe
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2018 at 1:38pm
FL's way of envisioning it sounds good.

henningf discovered hitting too far in front hinders power transfer.

Kim Jung Hoon has forever advocated a little more rotation and striking the ball further back.

It isn't about hitting the ball much deeper in your strike zone (unless you were hitting way in front), but it is about using the whole body in sequence relaxed in a manner with leverage to maximize power transfer.

KJH makes good note about the importance of planting the hitting foot early in the right place (closer to the ball than you would think) Impacting the ball on the side (instead of front of body), yet use some more rotation (rotate into the ball weight going right to left and forward upon a center vertical axis), and finish stroke above head not past center. He is striking the ball just in front of his hitting knee about table height or higher. 

KJH spends a lot of time explaining that for spin, it is best to make the backswing go down, NOT to backswing past behind your tail (don't do the excessively long windup) Keep racket face consistent angle kinda open, and make a slightly concave stroke... not excessively so, but a little concave, not so sharp, but extended over some distance - a longer concave, just slight.

He stresses that one must decide what kind of loop to do early... and it is decided by your backswing. He stresses that if you are to drive the ball, go backwards with backswing behind ball, and for a spinny shot, make backswing low, instead of straight back.

KJH explains that the backswing is where you load your energy (He says to "Collect" your power) and wait for the ball to get the right timing. Avoid swinging immediately, it hinders power transfer. Avoid swinging with just arm, even if you can make some power, it is inconsistent. Avoid being stiff. Avoid standing up too early. Don't use so much arm snap that you are clocking yourself upside your forehead to bust your bat and give self a goose egg knot. Allow the swing to finish in front of and higher than forehead. Do NOT try to quickly bring back bat before stroke is finished, it will hinder power. The legs are not really rising so much to make you stand up... it is a more forward rotation with some going up.

The comparison about being relaxed, he says upon impact the scale of power from 1-10 it should feel like 8 or so at impact, but on backswing, your wrist arm should feel like 1.

KJH finishes by saying we should consider using TT to "untie" our stress in our life. This is a typical Korean attitude. Everyone oughta consider a month vacation in Korea for TT and food.

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2018 at 4:27pm
Breathing helps, especially during drills. Exhale during contact or something like that.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2018 at 12:04pm
Here is my opinion.
Relax in here means you need to relax during you move your hand down BEFORE you loop, while the ball drove on the rubber you need hold your bracket tight (of course you need loop right time, right stroke that I am not say in here).
Let me said again, relax your arms when the ball ALREADY flew out of the racket and the relax motion still continue when you move your arms down to ready the next shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic