Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Long Pips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Pips
    Posted: 12/10/2018 at 9:33pm
Which long pips are the most popular besides Tibhar Grass D.TecS?  I'm going to play defensive seriously now in order to combat those pesky and annoying little kids.  I played with the P-1R before but didn't find it as varying in spin as Grass.  Any suggestions?  I'm going to pair it with either of my Joo Sae Hyuk or Diode.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2018 at 10:38pm
It takes time to learn how to use pips properly. Months, even years. P1r is an excellent rubber that can vary spin very well, more so than the Grass.

Edited by notfound123 - 12/11/2018 at 12:04am
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

It takes time to learn how to use pips properly. Months, even years. P1r is an excellent rubber that can very spin very well, more so than the Grass.

What do you mean? I thought you just slap on a sheet and start beating everybody, with no effort or skills.

And if that doesn't work, you have to keep swapping LPs until you find one that accomplishes your goal. Hence why LP players are always EJs. 
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2018 at 3:31am
LPs are the easiest rubbers to get used to and improve your ratings as a consequence, fact!
The only thing that holds back players who switch is the mental anguish Cry of watching their opponents have mental breakdowns Angry.
There's a reason that switching to LP rubbers is called, "joining the dark side".Wink

Edited by Tinykin - 12/11/2018 at 3:48am
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

LPs are the easiest rubbers to get used to and improve your ratings as a consequence, fact!

I agree! This explains why the best 20 players in my country are all choppers!
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2018 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

I agree! This explains why the best 20 players in my country are all choppers!
According to a report I just read, apparently FZD and XX are both currently in secret training with long pips.  LGL has scheduled a meeting with all the CNT players on Boxing Day to direct them to change within the next twelve months.  LGL was convinced when he saw ZJK playing long pips with his left hand in practice and beating all comers.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2018 at 7:02pm
I find that playing with Long Pips is the best chance I get to beating those damn little Chinese and Indian kids, especially given the competition here in the Bay Area.  LPs are the only way to slow down those pesky rascals.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2018 at 7:07pm
P-4 is a great grippy LP for choppers. Blockers may be better suited with something else.

I strongly agree with the comment that you are talking years of learning.

Edited by vanjr - 12/11/2018 at 7:08pm
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2018 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

P-4 is a great grippy LP for choppers. Blockers may be better suited with something else.

I strongly agree with the comment that you are talking years of learning.

I play recreationally for about 3 months before during practice, and can play at a solid 1600 level with chopping.  Forehand and backhand chops are not a problem for me Smile
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2018 at 9:35pm
I peaked out in the high 1890s playing a LP chopping game. Getting to 1600 was quick. It got harder after that. I am low 1600s currently playing double inverted.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2018 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

According to a report I just read, apparently FZD and XX are both currently in secret training with long pips.  LGL has scheduled a meeting with all the CNT players on Boxing Day to direct them to change within the next twelve months.  LGL was convinced when he saw ZJK playing long pips with his left hand in practice and beating all comers.
========================

Do you have the link for that report?
If the report is in Chinese that's OK, lots of forumers here know Chinese.
Thanks.

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2018 at 12:13am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

========================

Do you have the link for that report?
If the report is in Chinese that's OK, lots of forumers here know Chinese.
Thanks.

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2018 at 12:27am
If the report is in Chinese, many forum members here are capable to do the translation.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2018 at 7:27am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

If the report is in Chinese, many forum members here are capable to do the translation.

It was a joke... Ermm
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2018 at 11:50am
Most of the players don't want to practice with chopper player because they are used to frustrate with heavy spin return and it is not consistent ball return and location from the lower level chopper.
Two options to practice chopping skill are to pay money for coach lesson, second is playing with Ball machine then play the game with another players.
Notice: If someone wants practice with you, you need feed to ball to the right place and less spin for them to easy loop, then you may have someone warm up with you. Each Long pip has different technique to play, if you change another brand you need to play at least 6 months to learn the new things, can't make a decision just after few plays.
That is my 2 cents.
MydasDiablo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2018 at 2:09am
Try Bomb Talent, you can get it for around 15 USD for 4 sheets from ebay (it comes without cardboard packaging but is not fake) and it is very effective with the new ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0SZcRDA9YA.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2018 at 5:50pm
I just started my chopping journey with Feint Long 3 0.5, cant compare to anything else bcuz i havent tried any other lp but the more popular ones i noticed alot of forumers use (here and ooak) are:

FT3, FT2
P1R, P4
Grass Dtex

Ofcourse there are different sponge thicknesses which makes almost infinite variants of those same pips with different playing properties. Oh what did i get myself into... still having most fun ever playing as a chopper.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2018 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by MydasDiablo MydasDiablo wrote:

Try Bomb Talent, you can get it for around 15 USD for 4 sheets from ebay (it comes without cardboard packaging but is not fake) and it is very effective with the new ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0SZcRDA9YA.

Thumbs Up

He plays very good. Do you have any of his competition game?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2018 at 1:12am
I just follow his channel on YouTube and read his reviews on tt-forum. Whilst he can play this game with almost any long pimple rubber due to his skill level with pips, this is the most impressive video I have seen in terms of the variety and danger of shots that can be played. He has commented on the forum that he has gone back to Bomb Talent after using Cluster and Kamikaze because the Bomb plays well with all the different variety of plastic balls, whereas most long pimples play well with one type but then lose their advantage with others. I definitely think you need a more varied game with long pimples with the plastic ball and the Bomb is renowned for its ability to produce a finishing shot, as well as being able to block and chop. I find I am using pip hits much more now to win points, as blocking and chopping can be returned at a much higher percentage by higher ranked opponents.   
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2018 at 1:57am
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Which long pips are the most popular besides Tibhar Grass D.TecS?  I'm going to play defensive seriously now in order to combat those pesky and annoying little kids.  I played with the P-1R before but didn't find it as varying in spin as Grass.  Any suggestions?  I'm going to pair it with either of my Joo Sae Hyuk or Diode.

Thanks!

I've seen your chops by RPB 3-5 years ago.
TSP P1 with 0.8-1mm sponge is ideal for you
But I don't think your rating is 1600. Not sure how you play but your consistency is about >1900
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2018 at 6:41pm
If you wanna VARY the spin, I wonder why wouldn't you use something like a short pip for chopping? or do you mean like a long pip with better reversal effect? or a long pip give better knuckle ball effect?

A long pip with more grip could vary the spin better, P1 is just right in my opinion. Other choice like feint long 3 & 2 also are good choices. 
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2018 at 4:39pm

A long time ago I used a Chinese LP called "Peril". I didn't chop with it I punch-blocked with it and the result was some insane wobbly balls. I won many matches but had few friends. Now I have more friends and just use SP's. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

A long time ago I used a Chinese LP called "Peril". I didn't chop with it I punch-blocked with it and the result was some insane wobbly balls. I won many matches but had few friends. Now I have more friends and just use SP's. :)

LOL
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2018 at 6:03am
I've been experimenting with Dr. Neubauer's Viper and Viper Soft. Both seem very promising so far. They seem pretty versatile and controllable while maintaining a bit of unpredictability for the opponent. 
Grab my game-changing new book and to your game to the next level!
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2018 at 10:19am

WinkWinkWink
More friend or more win...You only choose one in the your club. LOL

I choose friend than win, because I am old and no competition anymore. I still use long pip but I show them how to return the ball when they practice with me.
They love it.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by TTHOUSTON TTHOUSTON wrote:

WinkWinkWink
More friend or more win...You only choose one in the your club. LOL

I choose friend than win, because I am old and no competition anymore. I still use long pip but I show them how to return the ball when they practice with me.
They love it.

I always help weaker players at the club. If they get better than I have to get better to beat them. 
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2018 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I always help weaker players at the club. If they get better than I have to get better to beat them. 

Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2018 at 2:43am
^^^ I do the same. 

Ultimately, better players know the tactics to use to control the spin you return to them so that they can set up their kill shot, so it is better to help the people you train with so that you can practice consistency and tactics to deal with this. If all they do is put the ball in the net or pop the ball up every time you play a shot with your pips, then it is you that suffers in terms of training and longer term improvement.   
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2018 at 6:55am
Exactly! 

I love teaching players how to play against pips for this very reason.

Teach them your tricks and you push yourself to become even *more* crafty and skilled!
Grab my game-changing new book and to your game to the next level!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2018 at 1:37pm
I have said for 45 years that LP's should not be allowed in competition. I believe it would be a wonderful move by the ITTF to ban them. I played with LP's in the past. I know how to defeat players using LP's. I will never change my mind on this subject ever. Defensive players have anti, inverted, and SP's. that's enough. What is the ITTF going to approve next?...extra long pips? As long as the under the table deals exist between the ITTF and the manufacturers nothing will change...just my 2 cents.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic