FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

advice on rubbers to use with Liu Shiwen ZLF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
colton View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2018 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Also, stop thinking about the throw angles of rubbers and blades... Wink

Made me laugh!  But I'm a physics professor, so looking at things quantitatively and analyzing data is kind of what I do. 

Anyway, thanks again to all who chimed in.  I decided to order Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft 2.0 and Xiom Vega Europe 2.0. I'll try them each with forehand and backhand and see how they go.
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2018 at 3:47pm

Originally posted by colton colton wrote:

Originally posted by adishorul adishorul wrote:

Vega europe is a high throw rubber if you glue it on a high throw blade the whole setup will throw the ball too high beside that you will have to close the angle more on both side. IMHO something like nittaku fastarc s1 will work better on LSW.

According to https://revspin.net/rubber/, the Fastarc S-1 has an even higher throw than the Vega Europe.

Xiom Vega Europe - 4.6, medium throw
Nittaku Fastarc S-1 - 5.4, medium high throw

(I know pgpg told me to stop browsing revspin but I haven't taken that advice yet.)

I would be the joker and say one ought to be knowing the properties of the rubber/blade. Equipment DOES make a difference as it makes it easier or more difficult to do something. That allows a player to select something that gives him/her the best chances of landing shots they do the most if they selected equipment that suits what they do the most.

On a contrary opinion, (one that totally agrees with pgpg) worrying about any of that is utter nonsense if a player is in the phase of developing strokes, tactics, and experience. One is better off getting middle of the road equipment slanted towards ease of control. Every company makes several of this class. Takes the worry out of everything and makes the range of choices easy to understand and high percentage to get right.

Still, it is mostly a free world and TTers can quadruple over-analyze things and obsess, worry, and fuss over the decision to the extent of legal insanity if they choose.

That seems to be a modern joy of TT.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2018 at 3:49pm
I see OP posted at the exact second I did (and beet me by .001 seconds).

I believe his choices are quite middle of the road and will be very well suited.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by colton colton wrote:

Made me laugh!  But I'm a physics professor, so looking at things quantitatively and analyzing data is kind of what I do. 

Anyway, thanks again to all who chimed in.  I decided to order Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft 2.0 and Xiom Vega Europe 2.0. I'll try them each with forehand and backhand and see how they go.

Ah, a fellow physicist! Clap

Here is a thing - when analyzing data it's helpful to understand what is the actual data generating process (survey of random strangers of unknown TT ability about properties that are not well defined and subjective in nature).  

Sorry for somewhat combative attitude.

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2018 at 8:10pm
Physics.....Im not a physicist but work at Fermilab building the experiments. I am currently working on PIP2 and SLAC. Watching your BH have you ever thought about long pips? It looks like you prefer to chop everything to your BH. I saw you killed a few high balls at the table but that's easy with pips as well.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2018 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

Physics.....Im not a physicist but work at Fermilab building the experiments. I am currently working on PIP2 and SLAC. Watching your BH have you ever thought about long pips? It looks like you prefer to chop everything to your BH. I saw you killed a few high balls at the table but that's easy with pips as well.

Are you playing Aurora Cup in 3 weeks, by any chance?
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2018 at 11:59pm
Yeah I will be there. I'm in the U2000 bracket
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
max503 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max503 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2019 at 12:39am
I have Liu Shiwen ZLF. I use Butterfly Rozena on FH. Excellent in every way. Not as fast as T05. So a bit better control.  
AmiciSumus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmiciSumus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 4:49pm
I am playing the Liu Shiwen ZLF and find the following setup fine for me and I are also around 1400 - 1500 Level  ...

Butterfly Liu Shiwen ZLF  FL  86 Gr
Rasanter Grip  2.1  FH  Black
- Rasanter R50  2.0  BH  Red
Xiom Ice Cream AZXi FL
- FH ALC: Butterfly Dignics 2.1 Red
- BH ZLC: Butterfly Dignics 2.1 Black

Xiom Ice Cream AZXi FL
- FH ALC: Adidas P7 Max Red
- BH ZLC: Rasanter R53 2.0 Black
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2019 at 9:56pm
Good commentary overall, particularly given the 1400 rating.  The Liu Shiwen is very flexible relative to it's speed, therefore better attacking players will typically want medium rubber on their backhands, and harder rubber on their forehands.  
DHS ML5 (W968), Hurricane 3, Dignics 09c
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic