FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nittaku Ball Material

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku Ball Material
    Posted: 01/01/2019 at 6:10pm
I thought I had read somewhere that Nittaku Premium 40+ ball was made of some version of ABS. But recently a knowledgable player said that the only ABS balls were the newest version from DHS (DHS or rebranded for other companies). Some research has not lead me to a definitive conclusion on the Nittaku material.

Do any of you know the material and can point me to a reference I can show him if it is an ABS derivative.

Mark
Sponsored Links

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2019 at 6:27pm
The PaddlePalace website says this:

This ball is the highest quality poly ball, with outstanding durability, roundness, and consistency. It is made with special poly material available only to Nittaku.

Which sounds like they have a different form of ABS, and gave it some trade name. But for practical purposes the NP and DHS balls play the same.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2019 at 6:58pm
Hi,

When I spoke with the Nittaku representative at the Japan Worlds in 2014 (on display were their new balls, but not for sale, as they had not yet gone into mass production), he indicated the material used was propriety and would not be available to any other companies.  At the time, the acronym ABS wasn't in use, and only recently that I was informed on this forum that the Nittaku ball was the first ABS ball.

I would presume the answer is in the chemistry; a chemical definition of ABS would answer the question of the Nittaku ball, given an understanding of the Nittaku ball chemistry.

Thanks, 
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2019 at 9:04pm
Nippon Takkyu US Patent 9263288 - more chemical info than you will want or I can understand.

ABS can vary properties by varying the inputs.

The patent states that different formulations of ABS resin mixed with other products were used in testing many ball variations before they picked the production formula.

So NP40 has a proprietary ABS formula, but DHS/Doublefish can obviously do their own R&D and come up with something similar.

Edited by qpskfec - 01/01/2019 at 9:13pm
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2019 at 10:10pm
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https://www.nittaku.com/upload/pdf/152.pdf

NYLON@ is the best known additivE , to improve shock resistance of the ABS plastic.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2019 at 10:40pm
Thanks so much to igorponger and qpskfec. That MSDS is the perfect thing to show him.

I read through most of the actual patent and was very confused for most of it. But finally found a section that described the use of acrylonitrile butadiene and styrene to make one of the copolymers that goes into the ball. So ABS is the majority of it.

Funny in part of patent it refers to coplymers in "salami" composition and to "onion layer" composition. Does that mean Nittaku Premimums are usable on my sub sandwich as well as for playing TT.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 01/01/2019 at 10:45pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2019 at 10:49pm
Despite all its problems, often this forum is simply amazing at providing information to its members that they might never find on their own.

Mark - A very grateful member of this forum
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2019 at 12:27am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2019 at 12:54am
Dear Mr Mark Mjamja,

RE: Nippon Takkyu US Patent 9263288

Nittaku Table Tennis (trading under Nippon Takkyu) requests that you NOT ingest any of the copolymers in the Nittaku Premium table tennis ball.  The terms salami and onion layer refer to specific chemical formulations used in the binding of chemicals during manufacture of our Premium balls.  These terms do NOT refer to either meat or vegetable products and their consumption could be injurious to humans, including those who play table tennis.

During extensive testing of the new non-celluloid products, it was found that in 13.74% of instances where subjects swallowed balls (or parts of balls), mild discomfort was experienced until all material was eliminated from the system.  Sometimes this took considerable time and effort.  In a further 2.41% of instances, severe internal obstruction took place, with one subject reporting that "it felt like I had swallowed a table tennis ball".  In none of the 7.992.416 test subjects was death reported, although 4 stated that their forehand was no longer effective.  The report from 1 subject that their shadow play had considerably improved was attributed to the placebo effect, as the subject had in fact been given a placebo.

It is Nittaku's policy not to test products on animals, as this is considered inhumane and cruel.  However, table tennis players have proven to be extremely useful test subjects, and we are grateful for their willingness to swallow a large number of unproven claims regarding table tennis equipment.  If you are interested, a research paper by Umas. B. Kiden and E. Gorblimey titled "The laxative effects of both artificial and natural layers in Nittaku Acoustic Carbon and Nittaku Latika Carbon blades: a survey of 19.444 table tennis respondents" is an excellent resource for those considering changing from all-wood to blades including synthetic materials.  It should be noted that Nittaku continue to make a large range of all wood blades given our preference for a high fibre game.

Yours respectfully and warningly,  Nippon Takkyu, Tasmania.

Edited by Tassie52 - 01/02/2019 at 12:56am
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2019 at 1:55am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Thanks so much to igorponger and qpskfec. That MSDS is the perfect thing to show him.

I read through most of the actual patent and was very confused for most of it. But finally found a section that described the use of acrylonitrile butadiene and styrene to make one of the copolymers that goes into the ball. So ABS is the majority of it.

Mark

Table 1 shows that they experimented with 100% and 95% ABS resin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic