FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Calderano signs with Xiom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calderano signs with Xiom
    Posted: 01/03/2019 at 12:36am
Just saw Hugo signed a contract with Xiom.

Edited by jpenmaster - 01/03/2019 at 9:57am
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Sponsored Links

iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2019 at 1:18am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Maybe he'll play the AZXi, will shine and all the MJ/ZJK junkies will jump onboard, aaaarghh...got to resist.

My thoughts exactly.

Congratulations Hugo!
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2019 at 8:24am
Hi,

I'm more interested in his rubber selection.

Thanks,
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2019 at 9:27am

Maybe he'll play the AZXi, will shine and all the MJ/ZJK junkies will jump onboard, aaaarghh...got to resist.

he played with all wood before. AZXI not similar to what he used to play ...
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2019 at 2:06pm
Supposedly he will use an as yet unreleased blade.

Will be interesting to see if he actually uses Xiom equipment and not disguised other brand. He did use Cornilleau so there is a good chance.
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2019 at 6:19pm
in the past top players would use tenergy even though they represented other brands.
it looks like they don't care anymore.
hugo with xiom/cornilleau.
moregard with stiga.
niwa with victas.

they just grab whatever their sponsor has available.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 01/03/2019 at 6:40pm
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2019 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

in the past top players would use tenergy even though they represented other brands.
it looks like they don't care anymore.
hugo with xiom/cornilleau.
moregard with stiga.
niwa with victas.

just another proof of the irrelevance of equipment.

Well, I'm not sure I know what you mean when you state "just another proof of the irrelevance of equipment."
We may be confident that equipment manufacturers find high relevance in players' equipment selection.  In addition, players with their apparently constant exploration of better equipment options would also find high relevance in equipment selection.  

If you mean that the public representation of a player's equipment company affiliation is not necessarily relevant to the actual equipment the player uses, then yes, there is much evidence in support of that.

Thanks,

Edited by DonnOlsen - 01/03/2019 at 6:48pm
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2019 at 7:33pm
what I mean is that, it's not like hugo says "I need to play the cornilleau gt" and then goes asks cornilleau for a contract.
he negotiates the contract based on profit, etc. and then grabs probably their latest rubber and some decent blade.
he will do the same with xiom.
the situation is the same for all top players.

so the conclusion is that they can play with anything.
and if they can play with anything, we can play with anything as well.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2019 at 8:58pm

what I mean is that, it's not like hugo says "I need to play the cornilleau gt" and then goes asks cornilleau for a contract.
he negotiates the contract based on profit, etc. and then grabs probably their latest rubber and some decent blade.
he will do the same with xiom.
the situation is the same for all top players.

No. I ve played against a player that had some nittaku long pips he got from a korean chopper and later I bought thw same off the shelf LP and they were diffrent.

Pros get special rubbers and blades even if they look like the comercial version. Kong linghui was given 12 diffrent blades until he found one he liked
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2019 at 9:20pm
To be honest, I don't think they get special rubbers. Apart from the Chinese national team of course. Special blades..yes, but not rubbers. What would that give them? They are good because they work hard for it. If you get better and better, you'll see players that are even better and they still are "normal" humans with normal rackets. A 2600 player plays with normal equipment. So does someone in the 2. Bundesliga. And they are already insanely good. And now some other people suddenly get "super duper special rubbers"? How did they even get up there if they didn't have those rubbers when they were at a lower level? Yes there are professional versions of rubbers. But the only difference is that they are harder, because they are meant to be boosted. At the end of the day a 90gr carbon blade with two fast rubbers is already crazy fast. With good technique and a lot of practice you can get so much speed out of it. Especially the pros. No special rubbers... Just hard work
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2019 at 2:46am
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

To be honest, I don't think they get special rubbers. Apart from the Chinese national team of course. Special blades..yes, but not rubbers. What would that give them? They are good because they work hard for it. If you get better and better, you'll see players that are even better and they still are "normal" humans with normal rackets. A 2600 player plays with normal equipment. So does someone in the 2. Bundesliga. And they are already insanely good. And now some other people suddenly get "super duper special rubbers"? How did they even get up there if they didn't have those rubbers when they were at a lower level? Yes there are professional versions of rubbers. But the only difference is that they are harder, because they are meant to be boosted. At the end of the day a 90gr carbon blade with two fast rubbers is already crazy fast. With good technique and a lot of practice you can get so much speed out of it. Especially the pros. No special rubbers... Just hard work

Sorry I dont think they get special rubbers its a fact not my opinion. Its not matter of speed that rubbers have diffrent feeling more gears and if you would try one you would agree
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2019 at 4:08am

This is wrong.  Well, not so much wrong as misleading.  Certainly the pros can play with anything, including bananas if you ask them to.  But they play best with rubbers and paddles that they like, that suit their style and have the right feel to them.  I've talked to my fair share of pros about their equipment and they all have stuff they like and stuff they don't like.  

And just because pros can play with anything does not mean that we can play with anything.  A pro might have the skill set to overcome deficiencies in any particular piece of equipment. while you and I could not make that adjustment.

Also, it's worth pointing out that pros often can specify the construction of "their" blade to the manufacturer.  Timo Boll provided direction to Butterfly on both Spirit and TB ALC blades. Calderano may do the same thing with Xiom.
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Pros get special rubbers and blades even if they look like the comercial version. Kong linghui was given 12 diffrent blades until he found one he liked
Blades and rubbers are different matters.

Blades can be custom built, but usually the player will say that they're using a custom blade. I used to have a collection Butterfly calendars that listed the equipment of the players.  And some would say "custom blade."  Aside from that, we all know that often players will have a favorite blade from the wrong brand (not the people that are sponsoring them). In that case they'll put a different handle on their blade.  For example, Ma Long putting a DHS handle on a Stiga blade (something he did at one time in the past) because he was sponsored by DHS.

Rubbers are a different matter.  In general rubbers can't be customized (personalized) the way blades can be.  Instead, pros can choose rubbers that have certain characteristics based on the manufacturing detail.  For example, the sponge is made in loafs which are sliced into thin pieces.  A piece from the ends of the loaf is different from a piece that came out of the center of a loaf.  Similarly, a top sheet cut from the edge of a big sheet of rubber will be different from a top sheet cut from the edge of a big sheet.  So a pro gets rubbers made by the same process as the rest of us, but handled different.  It's not really custom rubber, but it will be different and, in the hands of a pro, superior.

A lot of what people think about pros' equipment is mythology.  We just imagine they have "divine" equipment, like some ancient Greek hero using a weapon provided by Zeus.  But, hey, if you're Hercules, you're going to be the strongest man on Earth regardless of whose sword you use.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2019 at 6:12am
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Sorry I dont think they get special rubbers its a fact not my opinion. Its not matter of speed that rubbers have diffrent feeling more gears and if you would try one you would agree
you're saying you don't think they get special rubbers, but then you arguing for them. As I said there are professional versions that are harder, because the are meant to be boosted. But those rubbers can easily be bought.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2019 at 6:30am
there are still some players who seem very specific about what they want.
ovtcharov, boll, freitas....

but it seems the younger players have a different mindset.
they will just adapt to their equipment, and they seem to be doing very well.
hugo with cornilleau and now xiom.
mima ito playing with nittaku.
even harimoto was playing with yasaka pryde not long ago.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 01/04/2019 at 7:35am
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2019 at 8:23am
I mean Freitas himself said that he used the Michael maze blade and didn't find anything better, so he keeps using it. He also emphasized that you should stick to a setup that works and just keep practicing.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2019 at 9:07am
freitas is definitely very meticulous when it comes to equipment.
even when he was with tibhar he was using maze alc + tenergy.

when his blade broke, instead of changing he sent it to butterfly to be fixed.
there's an interview where he says so.
niwa is like the opposite, he changes equipment every month LOL

Edited by pingpungpeng - 01/05/2019 at 6:51am
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 9:13am
i predict he will be using a hard 5 ply wood with xiom omega vii tour on both sides :)
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Mickael Mickael wrote:

i predict he will be using a hard 5 ply wood with xiom omega vii tour on both sides :)

Xion will unveil a calderano blade. He s the highest rated xiom player why would he use a stock model?
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 2:53pm
Do they have a 5 ply all wood with a hard outer ply at the moment? Of not it fits their bill anyway to fill that niche
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 3:06pm
Calderano is one of the few world top players to use a pure wood blade. Can anyone list others?
Xu Xin used to use a 5-ply blade but it seems he changed to carbon recently.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Calderano is one of the few world top players to use a pure wood blade. Can anyone list others?

There s no need to use carbon 100% you can have a blade like mazunov ebenholz that are really powerful
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 4:42pm
And has Gauzy signed with Andro?
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 5:00pm

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72224&title=world-top-10-mens-equipment-2015-2005

All-wood means a keen feeling of the ball to your hand, Composite is utterly dead material. Dead like frozen bief.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 9:31pm
He will be using Xiom at the Hungarian Open.

Edited by jpenmaster - 01/06/2019 at 9:32pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 10:10pm
I think the sponsorship deal will be much more valuable to Xiom if the player uses Xiom equipment, thereby showing confidence and support for their equipment. Otherwise a sponsorship deal does not mean much to players like us, apart from a manufacturer supporting a individual player.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 10:51pm
I guess it depends on the amount of $ involved. If company is willing  to pay $ to a sponsored player, then it might expect certain things in return (but not everything). If contract specifies $$$, perhaps much stricter conditions can be written in.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2019 at 7:10pm

Those instances of players not using their sponsor's equipment are so weird, I am not sure where is the value other than a check in the player's pocket. As a sponsor I would ask 100% commitment and if that means a 2-months retreat in the mountains for a brain washing session and hard training using the company's products, then be it!

It depends. If I am Donic, I don't care much if Dima actually uses as long as they can promote that he does, even more so for Waldner. Lower ranked players? Their name isn't enough so the whole point is to have the material on show at a high level. Hugo isn't quite that level yet, although he's improving. I think it will be very important for Xiom to have him be shown using the equipment.

For certain TT fans it's very important and makes a big difference to their choices which pro uses what. Xiom rubbers have a tremendous reputation, Vega Pro is maybe best selling rubber in Europe after Tenergy (and maybe MXP?). But there's a slice of the market where they lose out to Tibhar, Butterfly, even Nittaku a bit, which is for certain fans who won't use equipment unless it's used by a pro. This might be a small % of players but they tend to be EJs and spend a lot on equipment. I think it's important for Xioms growth to enhance their reputation beyond the online reviews to have visible pros actually using Omega VII etc. I still think it's dumb they skipped 6. If it was such a leap just don't call it Omega. Call it Alpha instead or something.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 7:39am
as predicted by pingpungpeng lords of the masterfold, jugo will use the latest xiom rubber.
or did you think he was going to use vega pro or vega europe? LOL

Edited by pingpungpeng - 01/08/2019 at 7:40am
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 7:51am

as predicted by pingpungpeng lords of the masterfold, jugo will use the latest xiom rubber.
or did you think he was going to use vega pro or vega europe? 

vega pro very good rubber. nothing wrong with it
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 7:57am
Originally posted by FruitLoop FruitLoop wrote:

Those instances of players not using their sponsor's equipment are so weird, I am not sure where is the value other than a check in the player's pocket. As a sponsor I would ask 100% commitment and if that means a 2-months retreat in the mountains for a brain washing session and hard training using the company's products, then be it!

It depends. If I am Donic, I don't care much if Dima actually uses as long as they can promote that he does, even more so for Waldner. Lower ranked players? Their name isn't enough so the whole point is to have the material on show at a high level. Hugo isn't quite that level yet, although he's improving. I think it will be very important for Xiom to have him be shown using the equipment.

For certain TT fans it's very important and makes a big difference to their choices which pro uses what. Xiom rubbers have a tremendous reputation, Vega Pro is maybe best selling rubber in Europe after Tenergy (and maybe MXP?). But there's a slice of the market where they lose out to Tibhar, Butterfly, even Nittaku a bit, which is for certain fans who won't use equipment unless it's used by a pro. This might be a small % of players but they tend to be EJs and spend a lot on equipment. I think it's important for Xioms growth to enhance their reputation beyond the online reviews to have visible pros actually using Omega VII etc. I still think it's dumb they skipped 6. If it was such a leap just don't call it Omega. Call it Alpha instead or something.

Omega 6 is a fatty acid. That is why they skipped it IMO. You don't want the mixed up search engine traffic.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic