FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

A Typical Day for GITTTC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Typical Day for GITTTC
    Posted: 01/09/2019 at 5:50pm
The Goose Island Traveling TT Club is back home at Goose Island State Park for a week. But even so there is still traveling for a chance to play TT. Yesterday started with a 30 mile drive south to the Cayton Boat Storage and TT club in Aransas Pass, Tx. The owner, Jon, is not your typical player. After a couple of visits to the Corpus Christi TT club he fell in love with TT and emptied out most of his main office buiding so he could create a place to play more often. About a year into it he has added 2 playing tables, 1 robot table, paneling ( for better visual bacground), epoxy coated flooring for better footing, and even installed a toilet for his visitors convenience. He plays with an odd thumb straight up the racket grip that uses only one side of the racket and is around a 1000 level player. His playing level is low, but he may have the 2nd highest enthusiasm rating in the country (close 2nd to Will Short).

Jon and I were joined by 2 local players and by Butch from Victoria, Tx. Butch is another example of how crazy players can be for the game. He drives 180 miles round trip to play at the Corpus Club at least once a week and drives about the same to play at Jon's place whenever I go there. He was a 1900+ player at his peak, but now that he does not play as much he likely plays a little lower. Still in practice he pushes me around like a 2000 level player would. He also regularly drives 250 miles round trip to play at the Austin club. And I thought I was dedicated to playing.

Butch and I were the last to leave. We started at about 9:45am and finished up around 1:30 pm. Every one played each other at least once and Butch and I had some extended practice time together at the end. Since 3+hrs is so little time for a workout I decided to put in little bit of cross-training in the afternoon. You may remember the kayaks on top of the GITTTC. They make for great cross-training since proper padding technique uses body rotation for power instead of just arms ( just like TT).

I launched from the beach at Goose Island SP and did a short 3 mile round trip across St Charles Bay and out to Blackjack Point.
Almost immediately after launching I was joined by a dolphin who decided I was something to play with. He burst around and in front of me creating waves that rocked the kayak. Then he would slow and wait for me to catch up and when I passed would repeat his burst of speed coming within feet of the kayak.   On the way back another dolphin, shadowed me about 10 yards away. He would swim mostly submerged for a bit then pop his head up to look over at me. As much as I enjoy TT, it falls short of the excitement of playing leapfrog and follow the leader with dolphins.

It was just another typical day in the adventures of the Goose Island Traveling TT Club.

Mark - Living the life

Edited by mjamja - 01/09/2019 at 6:21pm
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 6:33pm
but are you playing tonight at the ccttc?

Gambler Hinoki Vector blade; Double inverted.I can't seem to commit....
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

but are you playing tonight at the ccttc?

Of course. A day without TT is like a day without sunshine (unless it is a day with dolphins).

Mark
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 7:41pm
I'm taking notes for my retirement planning ideas. Keep them posts coming, 'mjamja'! :)
USATT: ~1900
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2019 at 2:47am
No videos?  You should take some videos on these trips.  Not so much to show a whole match, but just to convey the locations and players.

People keep asking me about when you're coming back here.  I tell them the rain has to stop first.LOL
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2019 at 8:35am
TT and Kayak both in the same day. Instead of hitting Blackjack Point, you doubled down.
TT wisdom - Never count your rating points before a match.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic