FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

More progress on my forehand..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More progress on my forehand..
    Posted: 01/21/2019 at 8:53am
Played at the Aurora Cup last weekend. Here is one of my best matches of the tournament. I did not attack a lot but my success/winner rate when attacking was very high..
Total of 9 fh attacks.. 8 winners and 1 miss..

Edited by Pushblocker - 01/21/2019 at 11:12am
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 8:39pm
Hey pushblocker. It's nice seeing you add in more offense to your game. Personally I love watching various styles, especially when the players are all round enough to mix in other styles to their regular play.

Just one thing though... unrelated to your play... but could you upload videos a little higher quality please? :D

It's kind of hard to watch a 240p video.
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

Each point you won with your forehand attack probably earned you an additional point elsewhere because of the increased pressure it put on your opponent.  

Edited by alphapong - 01/22/2019 at 1:02am
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 12:07am
I think you could bend your legs more. Hard to push away if you stand to straight.
The Guy above knows his shit. If you never hit the opponent Will not be afraid of anything and can loop the ball in safe and slow because he knows nothing Will happen. If you hit more he Will be forced to play more difficult and Will miss more.

Will try to watch the whole thing if i have time.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 2:10am

Played at the Aurora Cup last weekend. Here is one of my best matches of the tournament. I did not attack a lot but my success/winner rate when attacking was very high..

It's so blurry from low resolution.  How do we know it's really Pushblocker there?  Maybe he's got a substitute, or perhaps the whole match was done on a green screen.  How can you be sure it's really him with a video that blurry?
dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 4:04am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

How do we know it's really Pushblocker there?  Maybe he's got a substitute, or perhaps the whole match was done on a green screen.  How can you be sure it's really him with a video that blurry?

Because only he can make some of these shots.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 7:26am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Hey pushblocker. It's nice seeing you add in more offense to your game. Personally I love watching various styles, especially when the players are all round enough to mix in other styles to their regular play.

Just one thing though... unrelated to your play... but could you upload videos a little higher quality please? :D

It's kind of hard to watch a 240p video.
I usually do but I recorded this video on Facebook Live and when you convert it to youtube, the quality is only 240p :(

Edited by Pushblocker - 01/22/2019 at 7:26am

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 7:27am
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

Each point you won with your forehand attack probably earned you an additional point elsewhere because of the increased pressure it put on your opponent.  
The goal of using the forehand more is to make them take more risks and therefore make more mistakes.. Worked out well..

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Lula Lula wrote:

I think you could bend your legs more. Hard to push away if you stand to straight.
The Guy above knows his shit. If you never hit the opponent Will not be afraid of anything and can loop the ball in safe and slow because he knows nothing Will happen. If you hit more he Will be forced to play more difficult and Will miss more.

Will try to watch the whole thing if i have time.
You are correct.. I will try to bend my legs more..

I'm realistic about my forehand.. I will NEVER be able to compete in looping rallies with any good attacker. When I attack, I need to put away the ball..  If it comes back, I'm in trouble.. 
It seems to work out fine.. Whenever I land my shots, they are usually points, even against 2400+

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 7:31am
I'm getting better picking my shots.. I attack only if I'm pretty sure that I can put away the ball.. Almost 90% success rate is not bad for that strategy..

Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 7:49am
Maybe you can try to attack outside the corners and against the pocket. More against the corner against smaller players, and those that want to play forehand. More against the pocket against tall players and against backhand players. 

It might also be a good idea to train to be able to twiddle and do a backhand punch when they lift or play a soft loop after you have played with your long pimple. It is hard to be able to run forehand on every ball. 

With the new ball and since long pimples always have friction now you get less effect so i think you need to try to be more offensive to be able to beat better players. So work on your footwork so you can kill the ball with forehand in the backhand and also train to twiddle so also can attack with the backhand. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 8:44am

Maybe you can try to attack outside the corners and against the pocket. More against the corner against smaller players, and those that want to play forehand. More against the pocket against tall players and against backhand players. 

It might also be a good idea to train to be able to twiddle and do a backhand punch when they lift or play a soft loop after you have played with your long pimple. It is hard to be able to run forehand on every ball. 

With the new ball and since long pimples always have friction now you get less effect so i think you need to try to be more offensive to be able to beat better players. So work on your footwork so you can kill the ball with forehand in the backhand and also train to twiddle so also can attack with the backhand. 
I used to twiddle and backhand kill.. My backhand attack was much better than my forehand. However, due to ongoing injury (tennis elbow), I can't hit with my backhand.
The reason that I started using my forehand more was mostly due to my inability (due to injury) to attack from my backhand.. Any time I attack with my backhand, it's like someone is sticking a knife into my elbow.. The Tennis Elbow is fine for forehand attack or backhand block/push but backhand attack is what caused the injury in the first place and it still hurts a lot every time I use my backhand to attack.
My tennis elbow has been a problem since 2016... Hurt myself at the 2016 Nationals and played with pain for 1 entire year until the pain went away.. Was somewhat  pain free from November 2017 to June 2018... Hurt my elbow again in June 2018.. Over 7 months and no significant improvement in my elbow pain.. 

Edited by Pushblocker - 01/22/2019 at 8:46am

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 9:13am

I used to twiddle and backhand kill.. My backhand attack was much better than my forehand. However, due to ongoing injury (tennis elbow), I can't hit with my backhand.
The reason that I started using my forehand more was mostly due to my inability (due to injury) to attack from my backhand.. Any time I attack with my backhand, it's like someone is sticking a knife into my elbow.. The Tennis Elbow is fine for forehand attack or backhand block/push but backhand attack is what caused the injury in the first place and it still hurts a lot every time I use my backhand to attack.
My tennis elbow has been a problem since 2016... Hurt myself at the 2016 Nationals and played with pain for 1 entire year until the pain went away.. Was somewhat  pain free from November 2017 to June 2018... Hurt my elbow again in June 2018.. Over 7 months and no significant improvement in my elbow pain.. 

Still on talon?
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 10:01am

Then you need to get really good footwork instead so you can play forehand. Good players will lock(is it called this in english) you in your backhand, and can basically play really soft and safe against the pimples since they know you can not attack. 
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 11:49am
Great blocking and placement play. Now I know how you got your name! The only real issue I might point out is that you let many reasonably easy backhand kill opportunities get way from you by not moving around to turn them into forehand kills. Your opponent often popped up returns that you just returned on the backhand. A couple of steps would have turned them into forehands. My guess is that if you start doing that, and as a result continue to strengthen your forehand you will actually become a stronger player than you were when you had a more dominant backhand.

I couldn't figure out why your opponent is rated higher than you though. 
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 12:20pm

Then you need to get really good footwork instead so you can play forehand. Good players will lock(is it called this in english) you in your backhand, and can basically play really soft and safe against the pimples since they know you can not attack. 
You are right about that.. There are players that pin me to the backhand and wait for the right ball patiently and then they kill it.. Hard to play against them.. I try to move them far to their backhand corner and then go with the forehand down the line in the backhand corner.. However, often I don't get to move them far to their backhand before I get the chance to attack.. I need to get quicker.. Not being able to attack by twiddling has really limited my backhand game to block and push..

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Ranger-man Ranger-man wrote:

Great blocking and placement play. Now I know how you got your name! The only real issue I might point out is that you let many reasonably easy backhand kill opportunities get way from you by not moving around to turn them into forehand kills. Your opponent often popped up returns that you just returned on the backhand. A couple of steps would have turned them into forehands. My guess is that if you start doing that, and as a result continue to strengthen your forehand you will actually become a stronger player than you were when you had a more dominant backhand.

I couldn't figure out why your opponent is rated higher than you though. 
I often miss when I unexpectedly get a attackable ball into my backhand side and I try to kill it with my forehand. I usually strategically move my opponent around to set up my forehand attacks to get a high percentage success rate on my attacks. 
My forehand has come a long way...  4 - 5 years ago, my forehand was barely 1300 level.. I'm probably at 1700 - 1800 level now..
As for his vs. my rating.. I was 2182 just about a month ago.. Dropped almost 100 points at the US Open.. Had a 50 point loss to a medium pips hitter. Can't play against that style.. (deuce in the 5th) and another 5 game loss to a 2082 player after having 2 match points.. 

I'll be back over 2100 after the Aurora Cup is processed...

I feel that I'm playing better now at 2100 rating level than I did when I was over 2300.. If I would be able to twiddle and backhand attack, I would probably solid in the 2200's...

Edited by Pushblocker - 01/22/2019 at 12:56pm

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Still on talon?

Talon National Team.. Only place who has that version is TTDD.EU
It comes in a special package  in octagon shape. Same rubber, softer rubber mix for lower trajectory..

Edited by Pushblocker - 01/22/2019 at 12:50pm

Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 1:53pm
The reason I asked about the rating was because you play better than your opponent. Your blocks are way more consistent, your forehand is definitely right up there with him, if not better. It is like soccer, you had less shots but almost all of them were on target. or if we look at boxing, he had maybe as many hits as you did, but way too many swings. When you swung, you pretty much always landed. 

And I asked about the converting forehands because you play very close to how I play, as in style and I see that you are pretty limber and light on your feet.

I play penhold but my play is totally based on two things. The thing I also love the most is placement and punch blocking to move my opponent around or consistently block deep to his backhand and then kill it to his forehand or vice versa. Or punch bock deep into his body.

Second, I am almost always looking to attack with my forehand. So I do move a LOT, even if my movement is not the most graceful or proper, technique wise. As I said, you are light-footed, so you just need to become more aggressive with feeding your forehand and you will become scary to play against.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Ranger-man Ranger-man wrote:

The reason I asked about the rating was because you play better than your opponent. Your blocks are way more consistent, your forehand is definitely right up there with him, if not better. It is like soccer, you had less shots but almost all of them were on target. or if we look at boxing, he had maybe as many hits as you did, but way too many swings. When you swung, you pretty much always landed. 

And I asked about the converting forehands because you play very close to how I play, as in style and I see that you are pretty limber and light on your feet.

I play penhold but my play is totally based on two things. The thing I also love the most is placement and punch blocking to move my opponent around or consistently block deep to his backhand and then kill it to his forehand or vice versa. Or punch bock deep into his body.

Second, I am almost always looking to attack with my forehand. So I do move a LOT, even if my movement is not the most graceful or proper, technique wise. As I said, you are light-footed, so you just need to become more aggressive with feeding your forehand and you will become scary to play against.
The issue I have with attacking unexpected attackable balls in my backhand side is that my blocking position is from an extreme backhand oriented position and getting to the ball, stepping around to forehand position and then executing a winner is challenging.. I have tried it and my miss vs. hit percentage was less than 50%, so I stopped doing it..
I also had a couple of matches against choppers and long pips blockers where I almost did not attack at all as their spin was hard to read and I missed a few shots, so I decided to play it safe rather than attacking balls whose level of spin I was unsure of as the opponents had a good variation on their spin when blocking/chopping/pushing.. I had mixed results..  Played a 2161 rated classic defender twice.. Beat him once and lost to him once.. Played a 2101 long pips blocker and beat him 3:2.. However, I lost to a 2129 rated modern defender (who was 2272 less than 2 months ago) with inverted/short pips twice.. First match he played with 2 sides inverted and when we played the 2nd time, he played with inverted/short pips. He beat me 3:1 and 3:0..

pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2019 at 6:05pm
As a future long-pips close-to-table blocker, I would have considered driving 50 miles to watch your play. And more likely sign up for U1200 or similar (I am unrated).

This game was not rated, right?

I think your early FH attack (loop?) of a long serve was very helpful; your opponent stopped sending those. With long pips, I find the fast long serves more dangerous than slower serves with more spin.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2019 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

As a future long-pips close-to-table blocker, I would have considered driving 50 miles to watch your play. And more likely sign up for U1200 or similar (I am unrated).

This game was not rated, right?

I think your early FH attack (loop?) of a long serve was very helpful; your opponent stopped sending those. With long pips, I find the fast long serves more dangerous than slower serves with more spin.
This was a rated game in the U2300 event.. This match was on Sunday, the day of the snowstorm. I played after zero sleep on the night before. My flight on Friday night to Chicago was cancelled due to the snowstorm and I rebooked to Minneapolis and drove a rental car through the night from Minneapoiis to Aurora.... through the snowstorm.. Arrived 7 am in Aurora... and played my open matches at 9 am

Edited by Pushblocker - 01/28/2019 at 7:31pm

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2019 at 8:47pm
PB, you were the better player in that match against Leon, no doubt.
You move so much better than a few years ago, congrats! 
Just be careful, don't injure yourself, it is easy at our age. 
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2019 at 8:08am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

PB, you were the better player in that match against Leon, no doubt.
You move so much better than a few years ago, congrats! 
Just be careful, don't injure yourself, it is easy at our age. 

Actually, my improved forehand is a RESULT of an injury. I used to twiddle and attack from my backhand occasionally but I can't do this anymore due to severe Tennis elbow. I initially injured my elbow at the 2016 Nationals in Vegas.. Took 1 year to be fairly pain free.. Then again, June 2018, the elbow pain was back, even worse and now, 8 months later, my elbow still hurts, especially on backhand shots. I feel no pain when executing forehands or backhand blocks or pushes but any offensive shot with the backhand is like sticking a knife into my elbow.. My game is very restricted and I had to reinvent my game to be able to maintain a rating in the 2100's as I had no choice but to use my forehand more. My forehand went from about 1300 level or so to about 1700 level... sometimes even better but sometimes worse.

I also have periodical pain in my right knee.. Tore my meniscus in 2015. Luckily, the pain only comes back every 2 to 3 years for a week or 2 and the rest of the time, I'm pain free from my knee.. Arthroscopy is only the last option as it would cause a long down time..

Edited by Pushblocker - 01/29/2019 at 8:10am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic