Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Videos of Table Tennis England Grand Prix Finals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Videos of Table Tennis England Grand Prix Finals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Videos of Table Tennis England Grand Prix Finals
    Posted: 01/31/2019 at 4:42am
A friend of mine has recorded a number of Grand Prix finals here in UK and asked to upload to my channel. I though people might be interested what is the level of TT in UK immediatedly below the top internationals like Pitchford and Drinkhall. Hope you like them.

Jiawang Song vs Tianyuan Liu - Bath Grand Prix Final 2019:

Jiawang Song vs Darius Knight - Cardiff Grand Prix Final 2018

Jiawang Song vs Tian Yuan Lui - Preston Grand Prix Final 2018

David McBeath vs Jiawang Song - K2 Crawley Grand Prix Final 2018

Chris Doran vs Darius Knight - Jersey Grand Prix Final 2018
Sponsored Links

Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2019 at 12:13am
Thanks for posting these.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2019 at 2:18am
I'd guess the ratings of all the players to be around 1400.  

Oh, wait,  this isn't another guess-the-rating thread? Darn, I was sure I could low ball all the other guesses.

Good quality videos.  And that Chris Doran really is a big fellow.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2019 at 3:14am
But 1400 in which area of the US 😉😉 probably 1200 in some..

Seriously cracking matches many thanks VVK1
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2019 at 6:18am
You're most welcome!
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2019 at 2:14am
I was reviewing these videos from a few months ago and realized that I really like watching Chris Doran play.  It's like watching Heavyspin, only skinnier and stronger.LOL  Anyway, I hope you'll post more with him some time.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2019 at 6:18am
Glad you like the videos. Chris's games are always quite entertaining. 

London Grand Prix is this coming weekend, so there should be new videos soon.
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2019 at 1:39pm
Yes Chris has ana amazing touch. He plays Belgian superleague and does very well. He's top 200 in the world ability I would estimate but hasn't appeared much internationally (been much overlooked by the powers that be I've heard!).
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2019 at 8:51pm
Was Darius Knight ever a regular in the senior England team?
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2019 at 4:14am
He represented England in 2006 and 2008 WTTTCs.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

What happened with his TT career? Did he go off to University and/or get involved in a normal career?

Mark - Curious minds want to know
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2019 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

What happened with his TT career? Did he go off to University and/or get involved in a normal career?

Better players came on the scene.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2019 at 1:14pm

Dunno, happened before I got back into TT here. Perhaps ghostzen or APW46 might be able to share some additional info. 
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2019 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Only two, max three. Nowhere near enough to keep a player of his ability out if international scene. Look how many French and Germans play internationally.
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2019 at 7:50am
Darius and Chris both play regularly in one star tournaments.  I have seen them in local events here.  Chris normally wins HTH.  I suspect that Darius is one of those guys who didn't quite live up to his potential.  He has some great shots, looks very strong.  He has an England ranking of 9 now, Chris is 6.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2019 at 7:53am
Originally posted by FruitLoop FruitLoop wrote:

Only two, max three. Nowhere near enough to keep a player of his ability out if international scene. Look how many French and Germans play internationally.

Well depends on what you think keeps players out of the international scene.  There are a least 5 players IN England who are much better and truly international.   Darius still plays but he is not Engliah team material ahead of those players.
Cybershape Carbon
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2019 at 12:24pm

Well depends on what you think keeps players out of the international scene.  There are a least 5 players IN England who are much better and truly international.   Darius still plays but he is not Engliah team material ahead of those players.

Drinkhall, Pitchford, Walker, ???

Doran is as good as any of the rest. He is better than McBeath for example.Who  are these  mystery much better players? Baggely or Jarvis? Chris is as good as those players.

Edited by FruitLoop - 05/23/2019 at 12:25pm
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2019 at 1:49pm
My rough take on it is

Tier 1 Pitchford and Drinkhall
Tier 2 Walker Just behind I would say.
Tier 3 The others mentioned and a few more as well.

Chris is pretty well king in the domestic GP Circuit for the last few years as very few if any of the really top 5 or 6 players play in those events now as they are abroad. Chris I think plays in Belgium and is a really steady performer in most things he does. Be great to see Darius and everyone else play from a watching point of view.

London GP this weekend will be good with a couple of strong players at the top. Anyone going from the forum?

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

My rough take on it is

Chris is pretty well king in the domestic GP Circuit for the last few years as very few if any of the really top 5 or 6 players play in those events now as they are abroad. Chris I think plays in Belgium and is a really steady performer in most things he does. Be great to see Darius and everyone else play from a watching point of view.

London GP this weekend will be good with a couple of strong players at the top. Anyone going from the forum?

I'll be there both days. Got the top seed in my open singles group on Sunday. Free coaching lesson ... :-)

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2019 at 3:01pm

My rough take on it is

I'll be there both days. Got the top seed in my open singles group on Sunday. Free coaching lesson ... :-)

Yep ...that'll do it! Smile  One of the players I know is seeded 4 and if he's been playing much will be pretty strong. Hopefully be a good event.
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2019 at 7:58pm

My rough take on it is

Are you about to play a former top 100 player? What an amazing experience.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2019 at 11:55am

My rough take on it is

Are you about to play a former top 100 player? What an amazing experience.

The draw was even kinder to me. Aside from Grigory Vlasov, I got schooled by former Lithuanian men's champion, and former Latvian women's champion :-)

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2019 at 12:39pm

Drinkhall, Pitchford, Walker, ???

Doran is as good as any of the rest. He is better than McBeath for example.Who  are these  mystery much better players? Baggely or Jarvis? Chris is as good as those players.

Doran is what I would call a domestic player.  I don't think his style would translate to international success.  McBeath's game translates better though I could see him losing to Doran.  Jarvis is younger but same, his game translates better than those 2 and I expect him to ultimately be better.  Darius Knight is a good player, but top 150 is not going to do it for the national team these days, unless you have extra money to spend.  Maybe he could replace McBeath if we tried?  What does that get him?

I am bloviating a bit, but that is my opinion.  Most of the German guys who play are targetting top 50.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/27/2019 at 12:50pm
Cybershape Carbon
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2019 at 1:18pm
Chris Doran v Jiawang Song, Hereford 2 star 30th Dec 2018.

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2019 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

Chris Doran v Jiawang Song, Hereford 2 star 30th Dec 2018.

Cybershape Carbon
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2019 at 7:16am
2019 London Grand Prix Final - Grigory Vlasov v Ismaila Akindiya:

Edited by vvk1 - 05/29/2019 at 7:16am
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2019 at 2:02pm
2019 Topspin Sports Burgess Hill Sussex Open 2* Open Singles final | Chris Doran v Darius Knight

Edited by vvk1 - 07/02/2019 at 2:03pm
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2019 at 4:32am
So do these guys, like, just meet in the final of every tournament in England?  The matches I've seen have Chris winning, but that would be a limited selection.  What do you think their overall head-to-head record is?

It's a really interesting clash of styles.  Darius is much more active (a lot more and faster footwork) and more aggressive in attacking.  Chris seems to have gone to the Samsonov school of blocking, with great chop blocks and a lot of clever variation in his spin and speed.  You would think that Darius would learn to adjust after a couple of matches, but in this video he was really struggling to accommodate all those blocks and off-speed/off-spin shots from Chris.

Anyway, thanks for the cool video.  Now if I could just figure out what's going on with Chris' hair (or lack thereof)...
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2019 at 5:09am
Nah, sometimes other decent players win :-) 

Table Tennis England is quite rubbish at any kind of match stats, so my gut feeling, based on anecdotal evidence and conversations with other people, Chris probably has won more over the course of history. 

As to styles, I've heard a couple of Chris's opponents mutter something along the lines of "he's not doing much, why am I losing ..." under their breath after losing a point :-) He has incredible touch and anticipation of opponent's next shot. 
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2019 at 1:11pm
Any idea what kind of setup Chris uses?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic