FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Fh Rubber for blocking, hitting, countering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fh Rubber for blocking, hitting, countering
    Posted: 02/02/2019 at 7:42pm
About time to order some new rubber.  Because of some suggestions in response to my posts, I am considering going to less of a looping game on my Fh and using more of a bocking/countering game much like I do on my Bh side now.  Currently I play with Yinhe Big Dipper.

Are there some specific characteristics I might want to change from my Big Dipper when selecting a new rubber for Fh  countering and blocking?  Are there any specific rubbers you would recommend?

One thing I was wondering was if I might benefit from going to Tenergy in order to still generate spin from my countering strokes or if the bouciness would hurt my blocking more than help the countering?

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 02/02/2019 at 7:43pm
Sponsored Links

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2019 at 9:10pm
I haven't played with big dipper, so I can't say anything about it characteristics vs other rubbers. If you are considering Tenergy, I would warn that T05 is very hard to control against high level players. Its difficult to keep blocks and counters from going long against those guys. I don't have that problem with T80. T80 can block aggressive, but also very easy to control it. 

Edited by ericd937 - 02/02/2019 at 9:11pm
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2019 at 9:18pm
Why not consider a short pip?
BBC, SP, LP
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2019 at 9:34pm
I like the fast tensors for blocking and hitting. Only downside is controlling pushes that I see. Loosening grip pressure when blocking makes any loop returnable, speed wise. Slower rubbers are safer in the sense your blocks will be easier to land... but might result in the proverbial sitting ducks! 
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2019 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Thought about it but thought it might be too much of a change.  Also I have a pretty good Fh opening loop against underspin and I was worried I would lose that and have to learn it all over again with short pips?  Hitting and countering I think I could make the adjustment pretty easily.

Mark
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2019 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Thought about it but thought it might be too much of a change.  Also I have a pretty good Fh opening loop against underspin and I was worried I would lose that and have to learn it all over again with short pips?  Hitting and countering I think I could make the adjustment pretty easily.

Mark

Impartial xs from butterfly can easily do opening loops. It's so spinny you might wonder why even play with it over inverted at all! But yes, that is an exaggeration and it will be better for smashes and that sort of nonsense. The blocks will not hold much 'disruption' if that's what you're after. 
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2019 at 10:27pm
Rozena - it takes a little off the top end in spin/bounciness versus Tenergy, but is very easy to play any shot.
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2019 at 4:15am
If Big Dipper is a china rubber i think it would be better with a usual inverted. China rubber is to slow to block with and you need to be pretty active, but it think it is good to counterattack with. 

Short pimple is the same i think, you need to be more active with it compared to inverted when you are blocking so it is somewhat harder. But short pimple would be good for attacking the ball. But overall a inverted is much safer and easier to play with. 

If you have spin in your shots you should continue with inverted. 
If you have no spin, just flathit and can not read spin you could try short pimple. 
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2019 at 4:21am
The best rubbers for blocking and hitting are among the short pimples ones.

short pimple like Warran for instance but there are others.
If you still want to be able to spin the ball when you want, try firetorm from DMS.

Among the inverted,  tenergy 25 is one of the best rubbers for that kind of game.

Edited by kakapo - 02/03/2019 at 4:22am
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2019 at 5:24am
Since you are already playing short pimples on the other wing, I wouldn't suggest going to short pimple on both sides. Not that you couldn't win or go to 2000 or higher with that style, but I don't think it would be all that fun and it would really limit your options on what you could do at the table. Also, as you mentioned already, it would take extra time to adjust to that type of change. Someone mentioned Tenergy25. If you are only staying close to the table, that could be a good option. 

Someone else mentioned Rozena. I did like Rozena. Rozena is a pretty good rubber, but its not really great at any one thing. The biggest advantage of Rozena is that it's super forgiving if you make a slight error with your blade angle, but I thought the sweet spot was smaller than say Tenergy 80. Rozena was also good for serving. In rallies, Rozena spins pretty well, but it's speed is very dependent on your blade. If you are hitting really hard on blocks or counters, you may have some trouble with Rozena bottoming out on your forehand side. Honestly, I think you would be better off with T80 or T25. Baracuda could also be an option. Baracuda has about the same overall capabilities as Rozena, but it doesn't bottom out as easily on strong hits or blocks. Baracuda spins more than Rozena, but its more linear and not as springy. If you need more speed, you can use a very thin layer of booster on Baracuda to kick up the speed a notch. I didn't find boosted Rozena to be much of an improvement over unboosted. Actually, I liked it less. 

Edited by ericd937 - 02/03/2019 at 5:33am
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2019 at 2:42pm
At the last LA Open, the over 40 winner, about 2400, used Rozena.

He was a long time Tenergy user and tried Rozena because it is half the price. He calls Rozena "poor man's Tenergy"

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Since you are already playing short pimples on the other wing, I wouldn't suggest going to short pimple on both sides. Not that you couldn't win or go to 2000 or higher with that style, but I don't think it would be all that fun and it would really limit your options on what you could do at the table. Also, as you mentioned already, it would take extra time to adjust to that type of change. Someone mentioned Tenergy25. If you are only staying close to the table, that could be a good option. 

Someone else mentioned Rozena. I did like Rozena. Rozena is a pretty good rubber, but its not really great at any one thing. The biggest advantage of Rozena is that it's super forgiving if you make a slight error with your blade angle, but I thought the sweet spot was smaller than say Tenergy 80. Rozena was also good for serving. In rallies, Rozena spins pretty well, but it's speed is very dependent on your blade. If you are hitting really hard on blocks or counters, you may have some trouble with Rozena bottoming out on your forehand side. Honestly, I think you would be better off with T80 or T25. Baracuda could also be an option. Baracuda has about the same overall capabilities as Rozena, but it doesn't bottom out as easily on strong hits or blocks. Baracuda spins more than Rozena, but its more linear and not as springy. If you need more speed, you can use a very thin layer of booster on Baracuda to kick up the speed a notch. I didn't find boosted Rozena to be much of an improvement over unboosted. Actually, I liked it less. 

Rozena is marketing decoy to make people buy dignics
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2019 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

He was a long time Tenergy user and tried Rozena because it is half the price. He calls Rozena "poor man's Tenergy"

He probably would have one if he used Baracuda too. Lol  Did he use Rozena on both sides?  
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2019 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

He probably would have one if he used Baracuda too. Lol  Did he use Rozena on both sides?  
He would probably have it too with one of other 100 rubbers available like VP or r7
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2019 at 10:58pm

Rozena - it takes a little off the top end in spin/bounciness versus Tenergy, but is very easy to play any shot.

I was gonna say Tenergy 64 fits the bill quite nicely or even 80 if you want more spin but this suggestion makes a lot of sense. 
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 3:27am
Rozena. My fav rubber at current price.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 4:34am
Originally posted by iamj8 iamj8 wrote:

I was gonna say Tenergy 64 fits the bill quite nicely or even 80 if you want more spin but this suggestion makes a lot of sense. 

I played with T64 for many years....till the poly balls and it is really not the right rubber for hitters. Its sponge is really not hard enough.
T64 was good for speed and spin but not anymore. I think there are now less people who use it than a few years ago.
I liked this rubber but with the poly ball , you need harder sponge or harder blades because at this time, speed has become more important than spin.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 5:01am
Stiga Mantra H
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
stancuzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stancuzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 8:43am
Hi Mark, I played Vega Pro on Clipper CR and I can say is pretty good for spin oriented and flat hitting game as well. Mantra H is very fast with this blade ( I assume you still play with), especially on FH side. Another option could be the rubber, which Mima Ito uses on her FH - G1, thou I never tried it.
Cheers, Stan

Edited by stancuzi - 02/04/2019 at 8:44am
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 11:40am
How about Bryce Speed or Bryce High speed :)
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 11:48am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Stiga Mantra H

I second this choice
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 3:01pm
T05 HARD
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 3:19pm
Evolution MX-P

Edited by ChichoFicho - 02/04/2019 at 3:20pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 11:15pm
From someone who plays a blocking, hitting, countering style, if you're not going to try SP then I'd recommend Tenergy 25 or Xiom Omega IV Elite. Neither will last very long before needing replacement..
BBC, SP, LP
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 7:33am
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Originally posted by iamj8 iamj8 wrote:

I played with T64 for many years....till the poly balls and it is really not the right rubber for hitters. Its sponge is really not hard enough.
T64 was good for speed and spin but not anymore. I think there are now less people who use it than a few years ago.
I liked this rubber but with the poly ball , you need harder sponge or harder blades because at this time, speed has become more important than spin.

I started to use Tenergy 64 after the poly ball was introduced and imho it's the best Tenergy on the backhand for accurate blocking and punching. I always kept coming back to it after using T05 and T05FX aswell.

As for the OP I would recommend Tibhar Nimbus or Joola Energy xtra. Stiga Mantra H is good too but I prefer more catapult is somehow makes flat hitting so much more powerful.

I have played a flat hitting style myself for over 15 years. And I finally settled on tenergy 05/64 on a gergely/primorac carbon but it's not for everyone.

Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 1:45pm
Victas V15 Extra is a pretty good rubber for blocking and countering. Due to it's insensitivity to spin and more than adequate speed to help you finish points. I like the overall feel of the top sheet and sponge hardness too. It does have a low throw though.. 
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2019 at 10:12am

is this the match? 
2018 JOOLA LA OPEN - Singles Final - Hou Yingchao (China) vs. Jinbao Ma (California)
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2019 at 9:11am
Donic Acuda Blue series or Tibhar Quantum series. 
I've played both series. 
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Dream1700 Dream1700 wrote:

is this the match? 
2018 JOOLA LA OPEN - Singles Final - Hou Yingchao (China) vs. Jinbao Ma (California)

No, this video is the OPEN final, winner HY is about 2800
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2019 at 5:12pm

Originally posted by Dream1700 Dream1700 wrote:

is this the match? 

No, this video is the OPEN final, winner HY is about 2800

Thank you for the correction. Over 40 winner name is Rudy Miranda but I don't see any recent videos of him playing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic