Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst rubber you've used lately

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2019 at 11:20am
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

This thread contains no useful information whatsoever. 

The only takeaway from this thread is that some rubbers work really well for some people and not others due to difference in techniques. It almost seems like some people really need to work on their techniques because you really shouldn't be struggling with certain type of rubbers.

Can't agree more...  this thread is ridiculous.  Most decent players should be able to pick up any rubber and play close to their level. Tensor vs sticky - agree, big difference. But joola vs Andro.. they are all ESN made and play like siblings.

Also someone above was mentioning Tenergy 05Fx... lmao.. Not Harimoto's fan but this was his bh rubber up until very recently.
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2019 at 12:38pm
Rasanter R42 is the most disappointing rubber I have used in the last year. 

I love Rasant. 
Plain old Rasant. 
It's heavy, but it's incredibly versatile. Speed, spin control, works on flexy and stiff blades... It's almost perfect.

Rasanter R42 is a lighter, softer, crappier, rubber with less spin, less control and less speed that has a similar name and with a different topsheet and a similar colored sponge.

Edited by icontek - 02/10/2019 at 5:12pm
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

This thread contains no useful information whatsoever. 

The only takeaway from this thread is that some rubbers work really well for some people and not others due to difference in techniques. It almost seems like some people really need to work on their techniques because you really shouldn't be struggling with certain type of rubbers.

Can't agree more...  this thread is ridiculous.  Most decent players should be able to pick up any rubber and play close to their level. Tensor vs sticky - agree, big difference. But joola vs Andro.. they are all ESN made and play like siblings.

Also someone above was mentioning Tenergy 05Fx... lmao.. Not Harimoto's fan but this was his bh rubber up until very recently.
If 14yrs old can learn the technique to use it then so can anyone else Thumbs Up
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2019 at 4:00pm
This thread was always going to be a descent into madness.  But it's an interesting one!

I have a strong dislike of T05-FX myself, and to be honest I don't care if every pro on the planet uses it.  It just feels grim to me, and I'm not really sure that what the pros like in a rubber has got much relevance to the very small TT pool I swim in.

I like R47, and still have a strong preference for it in that group of mid-hard eurojaps.  Some pros are using that too, but beyond giving me an impression that it's "good enough" in some way for them I try not to read too much into it.  It's easy to get carried away with what pro preference means for the amateur level, IMO.

But it just goes to show - equipment preference is a very subjective, personal thing!  So bring it on, I say.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 4:52am
This is excellent thread. I just confirmed to myself that the main cause of the problems with blades and rubbers lays somewhere in the area between table tennis shoes and racket handle.
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 1:06pm
There is such a thing as bad equipment.

Otherwise we would all be playing with the 2$ Barna racket sets...well most of us.

Yes there's also user error, no one is denying that. But if you are one of those who says equipment does not matter, then WHY are you using the setup you are using? why not use the $2 Barna set up?...there's a reason. Because equipment does matter, that's why.

FdT

1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 1:07pm
It's an interesting subject, not only technique driven, but blade choice makes a difference.  As a pips out user on my backhand, my blade choice was chosen to help that side, and my forehand choices reflect that.  I don't think I have had a worst rubber, Moon Speed was a disappointment, I expected more speed (and spin), but I had used Moon Pro before.  I've had others that I didn't feel lived up to their billing, Juic NanoSpin II (Chrisma) for one.  I didn't like Andro Hexer Grip at first, but it has won me over as I use it more.  Enough to find a place on a backup blade I use for testing new sheets of pips.  I find I'm able to go to it easily from my regular forehand rubber.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Otherwise we would all be playing with the 2$ Barna racket sets...well most of us.

Yes there's also user error, no one is denying that. But if you are one of those who says equipment does not matter, then WHY are you using the setup you are using? why not use the $2 Barna set up?...there's a reason. Because equipment does matter, that's why.

FdT

There is equipment which 99% suits an individual's needs, and there is equipment which 99% does not.  And there is a vast spectrum of stuff in between these two poles (I leave 1% at the outer edges for fun. mostly).

But objectively *bad* equipment, as in just plain bad for everyone?  A hard statement to justify I think.

Equipment definitely matters, but it matters in different ways to different people and there will always be differences of opinion.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 4:27pm
ALL ARE GOOD LASSES, BUT WHENCE COME THE EVIL WIVES ?

There is no bad rubber, there is production lapse and bad quality control.      

Be alert of China-made every product, because improper quality inspection does occur so oftentimes at most chinese makings .
patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 5:47pm
The most crappier rubber I've played with recently was Yinhe Moon. Ultimate flat rubber, no matter how much effort you try to put in spinning the ball, the ball would either hit the net or go for a 'homerun' with out any arc. Out of almost all the rubbers, every other is unique in its own ways but Yinhe Moon is so radically different, you might feel to quit TT for good if you start playing with it. 
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

FdT

This makes zero sense. We aren't comparing a well-known brand name with proven rubber quality to some $2 rubbers. People are literally throwing rubber names like MX-S, Rasanter series, and other ESN/tensor rubbers in this thread saying how horrible they are. This is absolutely bogus and no one should take these comments seriously. It's like the EJ disease has infected them because there is absolutely no way that these rubbers can perform as bad as they claim to be unless their technique is messed up. 

As an example, this Japanese TT channel has done an extensive review on Rasanter series, and the video below is just one of the videos showing various players using Rasanter rubbers. If you can't deliver the power and spin with the latest ESN rubbers like Rasanter, Aurus, and etc., you need to re-assess your skills. 

Edited by vik2000 - 02/11/2019 at 10:23pm
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 3:48am
Yes!
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 4:52am
Yes, you can deliver the power and spin with the Rasanter series if you use the technique suitable for that rubber. However, that doesn't mean its the very best rubber on the market which fits every blade and every single persons playing style. R47, for instance, has pretty good spin, speed, and good size sweet spot, but its not so forgiving if you make slight error with your blade angle. R47 also requires a much more open blade angle than any of the rubbers from say the Tenergy series. When playing with R47, if one were to close the blade as much as you did when you played with Tenergy, the ball just falls to the ground. I could see why someone might say, "that sucks." I tend to agree, that equipment does make a difference. What works for one person might not be the best for the next person. Rasenter is an okay rubber, but I went away from R42 because other rubbers had more benefits that suited my playing style. I tried R47 on a friends paddle. It was okay, but neither him nor I thought it was great. He switched to Tenergy already and is much happier. 

Edited by ericd937 - 02/12/2019 at 5:11am
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 4:58am
Worst ever? Lately? Well, about 2,5 years ago I tested the Tuttle Beijing IV. It was a total desaster. Worst rubber ever by a long shot (at least for me)!
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 6:11am
The worst rubber I have ever played was a blue NT H3 since 5-8 years ago: its topsheet and sponge come off after 5ms playing. The second one came off after 15ms.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

ALL ARE GOOD LASSES, BUT WHENCE COME THE EVIL WIVES ?

There is no bad rubber, there is production lapse and bad quality control.      

Be alert of China-made every product, because improper quality inspection does occur so oftentimes at most chinese makings .

Keep on your umpire world you dont know what you re talking about , yinhe is selling good in japan. I know your hatred about china well prepare to look for a liver replacement
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 9:34am
Noticed above, two votes for Yinhe Moon. I will give it another. Avoid this rubber, guys. 
Big dipper, however, is great, love it.
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 9:46am
When returning to the game, the first shop I went to warned me against modern tensor rubbers.

I conservatively went for what I knew and loved back then.  But today's Mark V, Sriver L and Varispin were a disappointment to me.  A nearly unqualifyable feeling was missing.  The biggest disappointment was the Varispin, which used to provide ultimate control and feeling while imparting massive spin upon request.  The new slab was numb and dull.

This was especially so when I found back a blade that I had played with as a cadet, over 35 years ago.  On it a Sriver L at 1.5mm (red) and a Friendship 729 (aubergine), and both surprisingly well-preserved.  That 35yo Sriver felt much better than the new Sriver slab; livelier, grippier, with a better click, steadier in counters, more reliable in powerloops.  And that ancient 729 is miraculous.  The new Sriver L also lost its grip, the top layer started to harden up and crumble/tear after a few monts of play.

They aren't ncessarily bad rubbers, I guess, but I don't think they're as good as they once were.  Not because they are eclipsed by the mondern stuff -- they are, of course, but when I was getting to grips with them I did not have them as a frame of reference.
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 10:03am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Yes, you can deliver the power and spin with the Rasanter series if you use the technique suitable for that rubber. However, that doesn't mean its the very best rubber on the market which fits every blade and every single persons playing style. R47, for instance, has pretty good spin, speed, and good size sweet spot, but its not so forgiving if you make slight error with your blade angle. R47 also requires a much more open blade angle than any of the rubbers from say the Tenergy series. When playing with R47, if one were to close the blade as much as you did when you played with Tenergy, the ball just falls to the ground. I could see why someone might say, "that sucks." I tend to agree, that equipment does make a difference. What works for one person might not be the best for the next person. Rasenter is an okay rubber, but I went away from R42 because other rubbers had more benefits that suited my playing style. I tried R47 on a friends paddle. It was okay, but neither him nor I thought it was great. He switched to Tenergy already and is much happier. 

And no one is disputing this statement. You're simply saying some other rubbers suit you better than modern tensor rubbers. All of these rubbers are excellent and there is literally nothing one cannot do to adapt to the slight differences. 

Also, talking about rubbers only is pointless. If you put latest gen tensor rubbers on some of the OFF+ blades with ALC/ZLC outer carbon layers, most amateurs will struggle to control. However, they behave differently when you slap them on, for example, Acoustic. 

This is why I hate this sort of dumb thread. People making empty statement with zero context as to what level they are, what their style is, what blades they use, thickness of their rubbers, and etc. There are way too many variables that impact your experience with a rubber. 
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 10:18am
[/QUOTE]

This is why I hate this sort of dumb thread. People making empty statement with zero context as to what level they are, what their style is, what blades they use, thickness of their rubbers, and etc. There are way too many variables that impact your experience with a rubber. 
[/QUOTE]

That's why I always put my playing current level and my current equipment in my signature, but that also could be misleading if someone was looking back over old posts. The signature updates on all of your old posts whenever you change it. 5 or 6 years ago, I was rated 1100 and played short pimples on my forehand. At least the signature gives people some context as to my playing ability when they are reading the more recent posts. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic