tabletennis11.com

K1 Hybrid vs Stiga Genesis II M

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K1 Hybrid vs Stiga Genesis II M
    Posted: 02/13/2019 at 11:56pm
Disclaimer:
I always return to something somewhat tacky and medium hard on my forehand.

I really liked TinArc with the old celluloid balls. It played somewhere between traditional Chinese and Japanese rubbers where it had a short game and close to the table attacking like Chinese, but also was dynamic enough away from the table. 

When i came back to the plastic balls, I tried plenty of different rubbers, as TinArc was simply not good (grip, reliability, power). I really liked Stiga Genesis M, but the sponge lost much of it's performance in just a few months of light play (it felt like a factory tune evaporated).

Since then I've tried a few rubbers... and just picked up K1 Hybrid, which, on 2 hours of play, seems squirrely and less predictable than Chinese rubbers when attacking close to the table. I can brush loop with a 729 or H2 topsheet on a hard sponge, but the K1 just feels wrong. However, when driving, it is faster than unboosted classic Chinese rubber. If you engage the sponge, it is also is far less forgiving than traditional ESN rubbers.

What I am looking for is something that is utilitarian like a Sriver, but still great over the table like an old school Chinese rubber.

Is Genesis II M that rubber? I am turned off to Stiga because of the short longevity.
Is Joola Golden Tango that rubber? I am turned off to Joola because of Samba +, Samba 19, Samba 27, Samba Tech and Energy. 

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sponsored Links

AndiHL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiHL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2019 at 1:12am
Genesis II M is a great rubber and worth a try!
It felt very harmonic with the japanese sponge and the chines topsheet.
For me it was a tad too soft on my FH, wish Stiga would bring a Genesis II H.

Edited by AndiHL - 02/14/2019 at 1:13am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2019 at 5:08am
If you don't like K1, I would discount Golden Tango immediately.  It's also ESN and is very similar, albeit a bit harder sponged.  Golden Tango PS is almost the same as K1.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2019 at 6:29am
Just buy some dianchi and lightly tune your old genesis m .
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2019 at 8:55am
You want a utility rubber like sriver and a chinese rubber for over the table. No such thing. Mutually incompatible. Pick the rubber that fits the majority of your game and go from there imo. 
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2019 at 12:03pm
Yogi has played recently with Genesis II M, maybe he will write a review soon
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2019 at 6:44pm
Genesis II is better than Genesis I. If you find the sponge loosing its oomph too quickly, you should get some booster. I've been using Reviver Phoenix, its good stuff. One thin layer, brings most old sponges back to life. 

Another thought is that you could try Baracuda. Medium Hardness as you like. It might fit the bill. It's not tacky, but it has crazy good grip. Spin capability is very high, but you can still flat hit okay when needed. Short game is super good. Speed and catapult is less than the current generation of ESN Tensors. The speed is along the lines of Genesis. It has a little bit of punch for drives and loops, but its not too fast. The throw is pretty high, but once you get used to it, its very easy to control and very consistent and predictable. Here again, if you need more speed, one thin layer of booster brings it alive. If you keep trying the same types of rubber and its not exactly what you want, maybe you should try something else. 

Edited by ericd937 - 02/14/2019 at 6:47pm
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2019 at 6:48pm
Also, another thought is that you could try Xiom Vega China. 
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

You want a utility rubber like sriver and a chinese rubber for over the table. No such thing. Mutually incompatible. Pick the rubber that fits the majority of your game and go from there imo. 

That's not completely true.

In 2006, Ekrips was fine - it achieved over the table offense with a soft topsheet on a medium sponge. It literally did utility + close to table attacking very well.

In 2010, my TinArc was exactly correct. It played "chinese enough" over the table and for service to be dangerous inside the table, but was dynamic enough to use with euro strokes, to fish and at mid distance. 

My complaint right now is that K1 Hybrid is too soft and squirelly for some of the topsheet strokes where you could use a hard chinese sponge to either press or skim contact.

The Genesis M sponge was more harmonious with the topsheet, but the factory tune wore out quickly.

That's why I asked about the harder sponged Joola. 
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Genesis II is better than Genesis I. If you find the sponge loosing its oomph too quickly, you should get some booster. I've been using Reviver Phoenix, its good stuff. One thin layer, brings most old sponges back to life. 

Another thought is that you could try Baracuda. Medium Hardness as you like. It might fit the bill. It's not tacky, but it has crazy good grip. Spin capability is very high, but you can still flat hit okay when needed. Short game is super good. Speed and catapult is less than the current generation of ESN Tensors. The speed is along the lines of Genesis. It has a little bit of punch for drives and loops, but its not too fast. The throw is pretty high, but once you get used to it, its very easy to control and very consistent and predictable. Here again, if you need more speed, one thin layer of booster brings it alive. If you keep trying the same types of rubber and its not exactly what you want, maybe you should try something else. 

You know, that's a really good idea; I dunno why I haven't tried that rubber. 

I Also really liked the high throw Acuda S3 (not the blue) but found it too heavy to use both sides (it was H3 heavy at launch) - I don't know if Donic has reformulated the way they did with the F1/2/3 series.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 11:23pm
I also didn't like the Acuda blue series. The throw was kinda low, the trajectory was flatter than I prefer, and it was difficult to generate heavy spin with the blue series. I only played the non-blue Acuda in my early days of playing. My level was too low at that time and it was too long ago for me to give an accurate assessment of that the original Acuda series now. 

Edited by ericd937 - 02/26/2019 at 11:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic