Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WRM Video Translations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WRM Video Translations
    Posted: 08/08/2020 at 7:50pm
The best way to learn nihongo is to live in nihon for at least a few years :)

Of course, if anyone has any shitsumon, they can ask me anytime.
Sponsored Links

Hamasaki_Fanz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamasaki_Fanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Hey guys. Sorry it has been so long. I had planned to get a lot more translated, but real life and other things distracted me from getting more done.

Anyway, it has been over a year and I plan to get a few more done during the summer break here.

However... I found out that YouTube is planning to discontinue community driven subtitles in September...

So what to do... what to do...

Apparently Google recommends using Amara. I've never heard of it before but having a quick look, I'm not sure if it'll allow me to do things like I currently have for free. I think maybe the channel owners would need to make an account (possibly paid). If anyone has experience with this platform, let me know.

Sad...

You can just teach us nihongo. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2020 at 12:33am
Hey guys. Sorry it has been so long. I had planned to get a lot more translated, but real life and other things distracted me from getting more done.

Anyway, it has been over a year and I plan to get a few more done during the summer break here.

However... I found out that YouTube is planning to discontinue community driven subtitles in September...

So what to do... what to do...

Apparently Google recommends using Amara. I've never heard of it before but having a quick look, I'm not sure if it'll allow me to do things like I currently have for free. I think maybe the channel owners would need to make an account (possibly paid). If anyone has experience with this platform, let me know.

Sad...
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2019 at 7:30am
No worries, dual700!

You're welcome, balldance. I'll add those to the list. The second one you linked with the Chinese guy was actually the one I was talking about in my previous post here :)

I actually saw another serve video by WRM that looks really interesting too. I saw it before bed so I didn't watch the whole thing, but it was good.

I might get to that one earlier because I found it quite interesting too.

@mykonos96
That's not in Japanese and isn't a WRM video, but the gist of it was the guy had the incorrect weight transfer. He was going from left to right leg. He was told do the opposite and go from right to left leg. That would allow him to cover his forehand easier since after the backhand he's already got his weight on the left leg, allowing him to push off that leg to take a step with his right leg and transfer the weight directly.

When Wakamiya Misako (former world rank 24, part of Japan's 2015 World Table Tennis team) came to the place I get coaching, she also mentioned about that for close to the table footwork. I've always had it the opposite direction, which my coach said is okay when you've taken a step back since you have time and you can get more power.

The video also mentioned being more light on your feet, which is what they were doing at the end with the shadow practice.

If you'd like a proper translation, maybe someone else can take a look at it. My Chinese is okay, but I can't actually check words up in a dictionary like I can with Japanese ha.

Edited by mickd - 05/25/2019 at 7:38am
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2019 at 1:03pm
 It would be very helpful to get trasnlated this video of chinese team coach
Lu yuan sen.(wang nan s coach)

Edited by mykonos96 - 05/24/2019 at 1:06pm
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2019 at 12:50pm
Great video. Thank you so much, mickd. There are so many interesting tutorials in Japanese, normally I try to guess the content, but sometimes it's impossible.

Can you do this one when you have time? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGe2Mi8-n2g
I know it takes a lot of time so you don't need to translate everything, just the main tips are great enough. I'm interested in what they say about the contact points (base and tip of racket).

and this one as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4mtAFDj54I

Edited by balldance - 05/24/2019 at 1:48pm
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2019 at 10:35am
Thank you so much!!ClapClap
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2019 at 5:25am
Okay, the video is live! I probably should have gone over it again. There is at least one grammatical error. Sorry about that. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense. Also, you can really tell this guy is a teacher because the way he talks is just so nice and clear. There were quite a few parts where I couldn't really figure out what Guccy was saying.

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2019 at 12:38am
Okay, I fixed and finished it. I did the tutorial on the tomahawk serve (I don't know if there's a different term for the one where you squat down as you're doing it, but I just called it tomahawk).

And yeah, shinchan, if you're going to work on any, let me know which so we don't accidentally do the same ones :)

I'll update after WRM approves the subtitles. If they haven't in a few days, I'll email them like before!
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2019 at 9:22pm
Thank you. I'll have another one finished soon. I was actually working on it for the last 2 hours, and while switching between the dictionary and the YouTube subtitle editor, I accidentally clicked the cross on the tab T_T. You'd think it'll be okay because YouTube auto-saves as you type, but for some reason all the timings are now completely off..

If you're willing to help, of course you're welcome, shinchan! I'm just translating the videos on the WRM channel. If you go to any video (maybe one of the ones that others would like translated), and click on the Settings button on the bottom right of the video, then go to Subtitles, you can add your own. It'll take you to YouTube's built in subtitle editor. Once you finish adding them all and timing it, just press submit and wait for WRM to approve it.
shinchan1506217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinchan1506217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2019 at 2:11pm
I can help out with the translations if the work overwhelms you
KomiTTa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KomiTTa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2019 at 1:40pm

Sorry guys! I haven't forgotten about this. I had some work problems the last few months. It's finally being sorted (kinda). I since had to cut my table tennis time in half and various other things. I still plan to do more! I actually saw another serve video by WRM that looks really interesting too. I saw it before bed so I didn't watch the whole thing, but it was good.

I was hoping to write this reply with a completed translation, but the work problems have taken a lot more time than I expected.

Thanks for thinking about us Mick, 
There are some existencial things more important than translating videos for TTComUnity, Work and money income is one of those, we understand that and we can wait patiently. When you post new translation it will be a happy event for us, meantime, Good luck, and get your current work problems resolved for good.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2019 at 11:03pm
Sorry guys! I haven't forgotten about this. I had some work problems the last few months. It's finally being sorted (kinda). I since had to cut my table tennis time in half and various other things. I still plan to do more! I actually saw another serve video by WRM that looks really interesting too. I saw it before bed so I didn't watch the whole thing, but it was good.

I was hoping to write this reply with a completed translation, but the work problems have taken a lot more time than I expected.
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2019 at 4:13pm
the forehand and deceptive backhand service videos are pretty good
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2019 at 10:48am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Mickd, could you translate this?
I am fascinated with this guy's serves..

Thank you so much!!
+1 I know a couple guys who kill me with that serve, maybe to better understand it I need to learn it myself.
+1, I want to understand it too,

In the meantime, we can check out this 

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2019 at 3:37am
Hey, Mickd. Are you doing any more translations?  Do you have links for any that were completed and published?  I've watched the BH serve one several times and thanks a lot for that one.  And the FH loop one was interesting, although not as useful to me.  But it seemed like you were going to do more.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 1:13am
Yeah, imagine being lucky enough to have him as their school table tennis club teacher haha.

You're welcome, beeray1. More to come in time!!

Some of my students loved that serve. When they got it right, it was nearly impossible to return safely. I had to attack all long ones because if I was passive, the ball would at best pop for them to attack and at worse not even hit the table ha. Theirs were nowhere as tricky as that guy's, though. They also couldn't control length and placement well.

I had a look through the video and it actually looks relatively easy to subtitle. Very little I'll need to confirm or look up.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 4:22pm
Wow i just saw this for the first time. This is awesome, thank you for the work!
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 11:15am
Thanks Mickd!! Clap
Did not know that guy is a teacher. Impressive, indeed!! Clap
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 12:28am
Hey, sorry. I've been busier than I thought I would be (graduation season) so hopefully I can get back to it soon. At worst, I'll be able to get some done during the spring break.

@dual700 Sure, I'll add it to the list. I like how that guy is also a teacher. Being able to play at that level while working as a teacher is extremely impressive, especially with all of the extra overtime hours.
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2019 at 5:40pm
Mickd, could you translate this?
I am fascinated with this guy's serves..

Thank you so much!!
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2019 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

It's about time for the red guy to learn to loop properly.  All these years he finally realized his old way of forehand looping wasn't effective...

To loop properly? Kinda harsh statement there, don't you think?
Ghuccy is about 2500 - 2600 here, he came to US Open several times, I am sure he can whack you and me like flies lol Big smile

well I know Guchi personally and even beat him his rating is nowhere near that and if it's US table tennis level isn't really as good as i thought. His friend Xia the penholder is much higher level.

You are right, I think he is around 2400s or 2500 max..
In here, Akifumi (2600+) beats him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31dQASnNjxw
I saw Akifumi several times, he is awesome. I was hoping he would play at LA Open 2018 since he was there, but he didn't Dead
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2019 at 8:18am
That's very cool. Maybe you're underestimating your own skill too much? ;) I do agree with you that 2500-2600 is on the high end, but based on your reply, it seems like you think he'd be a lot less than 2400, too. Hopefully one day he'll come and play in a bunch more tournaments and we'll know for sure ha. I'm only speculating based off his one tournament and other videos I see. So you could very well be right. You've also got the experience of playing him to back it up.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2019 at 4:12am

... Ghuccy is about 2500 - 2600 here, ...

well I know Guchi personally and even beat him his rating is nowhere near that and if it's US table tennis level isn't really as good as i thought. His friend Xia the penholder is much higher level.

I think his current rating of ~2400 is probably pretty accurate. He lost to a 2700 and a 2500. He won everyone else, with the highest being ~2300. Maybe 2500-2600 is on the high end, though! By the way, when did you get the chance to play him? I'd love to play him, even if I'd just get smashed ha.
[/QUOTE]

Well not really  ratings are not accurate if you haven't played at least 5 rating tournaments imho. Because they have do with best win with worst loss. He could have beaten a 2300 but that doesn't he beats 5 or 10 of them for example.

A good friend of mine is a japanese youtuber and did a collaboration with WRM so I played both Xia and Guchi. I also invited some friends over so they played them aswell.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2019 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by FruitLoop FruitLoop wrote:

Fantastic work. Loved the backhand serve one. Although I am not going to just replicate their version I got at least two new aspects to modify my own to make the serve more deceptive.

You're welcome! I've also been trying to add the principles I learned to my current serves. I think that's a legit way to go since serves are extremely personal!

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

That's the really long video I added to mickd's list haha...

Hopefully I can get to them all eventually :) I suspect you're right and the principles are the same, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet!

... Ghuccy is about 2500 - 2600 here, ...

I think his current rating of ~2400 is probably pretty accurate. He lost to a 2700 and a 2500. He won everyone else, with the highest being ~2300. Maybe 2500-2600 is on the high end, though! By the way, when did you get the chance to play him? I'd love to play him, even if I'd just get smashed ha.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2019 at 8:00pm

Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

It's about time for the red guy to learn to loop properly.  All these years he finally realized his old way of forehand looping wasn't effective...

To loop properly? Kinda harsh statement there, don't you think?
Ghuccy is about 2500 - 2600 here, he came to US Open several times, I am sure he can whack you and me like flies lol Big smile

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2019 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by FruitLoop FruitLoop wrote:

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it Smile I'll try finish another video sometime next week. I have a free day next week to work on it. Hopefully with practice I'll get faster.

Fantastic work. Loved the backhand serve one. Although I am not going to just replicate their version I got at least two new aspects to modify my own to make the serve more deceptive. Really looking forward to the pendulum one as my pendulum serve tends to be too obvious between backspin Vs topspin in my opinion.

Do they have a punch serve tutorial on their channel? If so idI love that one too.

That's the really long video I added to mickd's list haha... For FH pendulum I suspect the principles are the same, ie serve backspin and topspin using the same 45 deg blade angle and only varying the direction of the wrist movement which is easily disguised by fake motions in the arm. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2019 at 12:00pm

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it Smile I'll try finish another video sometime next week. I have a free day next week to work on it. Hopefully with practice I'll get faster.

Fantastic work. Loved the backhand serve one. Although I am not going to just replicate their version I got at least two new aspects to modify my own to make the serve more deceptive. Really looking forward to the pendulum one as my pendulum serve tends to be too obvious between backspin Vs topspin in my opinion.

Do they have a punch serve tutorial on their channel? If so idI love that one too.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2019 at 8:54pm
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 8:54pm
YOU ARE THE f**kING BOSS MICKD.

I bow to you and and kiss your feet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic