FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

WRM Video Translations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WRM Video Translations
    Posted: 02/14/2019 at 9:17pm
Since there is interest, I've decided to slowly add subtitles to the World Rubber Market channel videos. Of course, since I'm just one man, it'll probably take a few weeks each depending on the video. Japanese also isn't my native tongue, so please excuse any translation errors, which are bound to exist. Over time I'm hoping to build up a decent collection of translated videos Smile

I'll most likely take suggestions from you guys as for which videos to translate. So if there are any particular videos you want translated, feel free to let me know. I can't guarantee I'll translate it, but if I have the time, I'll try to get around to it.

I'll provide a list and current progress in this thread. Feel free to comment about the videos, too. If anyone feels like the conversation needs to be taken out of this thread, feel free to start another thread for specifically one video.

Currently Translating:
Deceptive FH Pendulum Serve https://youtu.be/d-q2C81JBFE

List to Translate (Not in Translating Order):

Recently Translated:
Mr. Oba's GODLY Tomahawk Serve

Previously Translated:
1) Deceptive BH Serve https://youtu.be/iV2irw_dEyA
2) Yassun's Powerful Forehand Topspin https://youtu.be/oX31FTT_dPc

Edited by mickd - 05/25/2019 at 7:36am
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2019 at 9:19pm
I've submitted the subtitles for 'Yassun's Powerful Forehand Topspin', but we're going to have to wait awhile for them to approve them :)

There were some bits that I couldn't figure out what they were saying, so I left question marks in the translation, sorry!

If anything doesn't make sense, or if you know Japanese and have suggestions/comments on any of what I wrote, feel free to message me!
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2019 at 2:36am
It's about time for the red guy to learn to loop properly.  All these years he finally realized his old way of forehand looping wasn't effective...
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 5:04am
Can't wait for the translations to come up! Do they have something similar for the BH topspin?
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 6:50am
Hi mickd maybe add this to the list, it seems to have some info about the BH topspin :)

-------
Viscaria

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 9:43am
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

It's about time for the red guy to learn to loop properly.  All these years he finally realized his old way of forehand looping wasn't effective...

I could be wrong, but I feel like the tone of the videos are more like him pretending to play the student, even if he of course knows most of what he's being told.

Also, I'm not sure if it's inefficient or not, at least for what he's trying to achieve. He's a high level player, but not a pro player. That said, everyone has room to improve, even him. So maybe he will incorporate more of that into his game :)

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Can't wait for the translations to come up! Do they have something similar for the BH topspin?

Yeah, it's taking longer than the first video I did. I didn't email them this time to ask. But last time they said to give them a few days, and if they haven't approved the subtitles, email them and they'll do it asap. So hopefully it'll be approved tomorrow (it's midnight in Japan now, so I doubt it'll happen until at least the morning).

They'll definitely have a lot of videos on the BH topspin. Hopefully someone will choose one they'd like subbed? Wink

Hi mickd maybe add this to the list, it seems to have some info about the BH topspin :)

Yeah, sure. That's only a 3 minute video, so it'll take a lot less time to sub. That said, it's not a WRM video, and Butterfly hasn't allowed community contributions onto the video. If I do sub it, I'm not sure what's the best way. Maybe I can download the video, upload it as an unlisted video and add subs to it myself and just post it here?
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 2:25pm

To loop properly? Kinda harsh statement there, don't you think?
Ghuccy is about 2500 - 2600 here, he came to US Open several times, I am sure he can whack you and me like flies lol Big smile
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I could be wrong, but I feel like the tone of the videos are more like him pretending to play the student, even if he of course knows most of what he's being told.

Also, I'm not sure if it's inefficient or not, at least for what he's trying to achieve. He's a high level player, but not a pro player. That said, everyone has room to improve, even him. So maybe he will incorporate more of that into his game :)

Agreed, there is no "correct" way to loop properly. He is a very high level, not a pro. Very entertaining and down to earth dude. I like watching his videos..
Thanks for the subtitles Clap

PS: Go watch pavel platonov, super awkward pro player, but he will beat 99.99% of members of this forum, I am sure LOL

Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 4:05pm
I think MickD is right. My take is he's playing the straight-man.

As for his US rating, it's 2417. The USA ratings page only has one entry for him, which was the 2017 US Open. It appears that one of our forum members played him in the Adult Open Teams B.

(I'm assuming his name is Ryuichi Yamaguchi.)
nuri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 5:02pm
there is a very good channel can you do something for this channel 
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2019 at 4:07am
Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

As for his US rating, it's 2417. The USA ratings page only has one entry for him, which was the 2017 US Open. It appears that one of our forum members played him in the Adult Open Teams B.

Damn. Sometimes I'm surprised how many strong players there are in Japan. I was thinking my coach would be like ~2400, and his best result was top 32 in singles, and top 8 in doubles in All Japan back when he played. Probably means he'd be rated much higher.

Since you got me interested, I looked up the tournament, and his only 2 losses were to someone rated 2713 and 2505 at the time. All the rest he won, though the highest win was against a 2320. There were no matches against 24XXs.

Originally posted by nuri nuri wrote:

there is a very good channel can you do something for this channel 

Would love to help you out there, nuri. But all your videos are in Korean. I'd have to start studying Korean and get back to you on that in like 10 years time ha.
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2019 at 12:15pm

I think MickD is right. My take is he's playing the straight-man.

(I'm assuming his name is Ryuichi Yamaguchi.)
Correct, he came here several times but 2017 was the first time he entered..
Too bad he met Bob Chen and lost .. Otherwise I am pretty sure he can get 2500+ ratings
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2019 at 11:03pm
Yeah, his opponent had some pretty solid quad muscles. Looks like the subtitles for the video in the OP has finally been approved! I emailed them last night so I guess they got my email ha.

Let me know what you think and if the subs make sense. Some of the things they were saying were basically 3 ways of saying the same word, so I had to improvise with my translation.
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 1:14am
MickD... THANKS so much for taking the time to translate!!!

I've watched, or should I say I've killed/wasted a lot of time watching youtube "instructional" videos, but this is by far and away the best exposition of the forehand top-spin shot I have watched.

Your sub-titles are great. I got a much better understanding of the principles and teaching moments from it than by watching the video alone.

One thing I found particularly interesting was the emphasis on rotational force (with the head as center) as opposed to shifting one's weight from left to right, or front to back, and the reasons for it (unless one has time for a left-right shift).

I owe you a dinner! Smile

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 3:14am

MickD... THANKS so much for taking the time to translate!!!

I've watched, or should I say I've killed/wasted a lot of time watching youtube "instructional" videos, but this is by far and away the best exposition of the forehand top-spin shot I have watched.

Your sub-titles are great. I got a much better understanding of the principles and teaching moments from it than by watching the video alone.

One thing I found particularly interesting was the emphasis on rotational force (with the head as center) as opposed to shifting one's weight from left to right, or front to back, and the reasons for it (unless one has time for a left-right shift).

I owe you a dinner! Smile

I second this, this has to be one of the most helpful forehand topspin video I have ever seen...period! The weight shift clarified a lot of things for me, will definitely try to implement that next time I practice!!
-------
Viscaria

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 11:51am
Thanks leyasu and blahness. I'm glad you two enjoyed the video! I like the style of their videos. It's not just strictly talking about table tennis. They talk about difficult concepts while making the videos entertaining. I tried to capture that essence with the translations.

I tried what they said at practice today. The balls were definitely very fast. But I don't think my partner and I are high enough level to hit balls like that ha. You'll definitely need a high level partner or multiball to practice it.

Oh and leyasu, if you ever visit me in Japan I'll take you up on that offer :) Wagyu steak dinner it is!
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 1:11pm
Let me know if anyone wants a German video translated. I know that Timo boll has his own YouTube channel, so that might be interesting.
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Let me know if anyone wants a German video translated. I know that Timo boll has his own YouTube channel, so that might be interesting.

I'll call your bluff.Smile

This video is long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu0JxGEzYoM&feature=youtu.be

However it looks informative. When he's talking about the backhand topspin technique it appears he's demonstrating a different technique from what most players use, but apparently the newer ones like FZD are using it. That's just my guess.

If you think this video is worthwhile as a teaching tool can you translate some of it?
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 2:10pm

Oh and leyasu, if you ever visit me in Japan I'll take you up on that offer :) Wagyu steak dinner it is!

I stepped into that one, didn't I?  haha.

The one question about the forehand topspin I did not see answered, and at my level, maybe it doesn't matter, but it's with respect to the backswing.

The sensei always takes the racket back low, to the same point and then brings it to the proper height to meet the ball, whereas Yamaguchi reacts to the ball and brings the racket to the level he thinks it needs to be without the racket "looping-up" (for lack of a better term).

I have a small sample size, but it seems like the very best players (mainly Asian) have this loop in their swing where they drop the racket to the same point, but either while the paddle is still going back then bring the racket up (if necessary)  or alter the swing arc when going forward.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 4:20pm

This video is long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu0JxGEzYoM&feature=youtu.be

However it looks informative. When he's talking about the backhand topspin technique it appears he's demonstrating a different technique from what most players use, but apparently the newer ones like FZD are using it. That's just my guess.

If you think this video is worthwhile as a teaching tool can you translate some of it?
if you go to the backhand topspin thread by nicholai, you'll find a post of mine where I talk about it. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 4:31pm

I think the Korean guy actually was demonstrating the supination technique! You can see the difference between Timo Boll's BH which doesn't use a lot of supination (mostly spinny BH but not really that powerful) compared to even the guy's own topspin (which looks more powerful). You can see the forearm rotation and the pressing down of the bat angle which is a signature of the supination technique!
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 4:42pm

I stepped into that one, didn't I?  haha.

The one question about the forehand topspin I did not see answered, and at my level, maybe it doesn't matter, but it's with respect to the backswing.

The sensei always takes the racket back low, to the same point and then brings it to the proper height to meet the ball, whereas Yamaguchi reacts to the ball and brings the racket to the level he thinks it needs to be without the racket "looping-up" (for lack of a better term).

I have a small sample size, but it seems like the very best players (mainly Asian) have this loop in their swing where they drop the racket to the same point, but either while the paddle is still going back then bring the racket up (if necessary)  or alter the swing arc when going forward.

I noticed the same thing, it's a circular recovery thing... Gucchy does it the inefficient way imo where he takes the circular path (same as the swing path for the stroke), if you see guys like FZD, after the stroke he drops his racket so that the racket goes directly to his waist in a direct line, this is more efficient because firstly it's a more direct path so less time is needed, secondly because the arm is closer to the body there is less rotational inertia to overcome, so you can relax a bit more....
-------
Viscaria

Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 6:15pm

I think the Korean guy actually was demonstrating the supination technique! You can see the difference between Timo Boll's BH which doesn't use a lot of supination (mostly spinny BH but not really that powerful) compared to even the guy's own topspin (which looks more powerful). You can see the forearm rotation and the pressing down of the bat angle which is a signature of the supination technique!

I'm an idiot. Even when shadowing my backhand top-spin drive I didn't see or feel supination, but when I slowed it down, guess what I saw? Ayuuuuh! Talk about complete self-unawareness. For me it just happens naturally, and am completely unaware of a conscious effort to do it. It is probably the only thing in table tennis I do naturally that is correct.

So now I am 100% in your camp. Not rolling the forearm seems unnatural to me.Smile  

TTGold: Thanks, I will look for your comments. (All of TTR-Hunter's videos look interesting to me. He has one video with English sub-titles, but it was from 2010. He's posted a lot more content since then. How much of it would actually be beneficial rather than interesting, I don't know.)

Edited to add: When I say rolling the forearm I don't mean to the point where my wrist is facing completely upwards.. 

Edited by Ieyasu - 02/18/2019 at 6:51pm
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 8:43pm
Lots of great information! At the start of the German video you posted, there was an Asian guy doing backhands and I was like, "damn, this guy is amazing" for a few seconds before I realized it was Ma Long Embarrassed

That video does look like there is a lot of value inside.
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 10:07pm

Lots of great information! At the start of the German video you posted, there was an Asian guy doing backhands and I was like, "damn, this guy is amazing" for a few seconds before I realized it was Ma Long Embarrassed

Oh my. I had the same reaction!  But I did not notice until watching his forehand, thinking, wow this guy's footwork and timing is excellent, he looks dang good and he looks Asian... is he a league player in Germany? LOL.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 10:10pm

Oh my. I had the same reaction!  But I did not notice until watching his forehand, thinking, wow this guy's footwork and timing is excellent, he looks dang good and he looks Asian... is he a league player in Germany? LOL.

Rofl you guys don't watch enough matches.... Just one look at the strokes and you already know it's Ma Long, no one else has this stroke structure and fluidity....
-------
Viscaria

Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 10:15pm

Rofl you guys don't watch enough matches.... Just one look at the strokes and you already know it's Ma Long, no one else has this stroke structure and fluidity....

Don't forget I admitted to being an idiot, above. MickD can probably come-up with a better excuse.

Edited by Ieyasu - 02/18/2019 at 10:15pm
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 10:30pm

Haha, well I don't know if I have a better excuse or not. Usually I can tell by his technique and even his leg muscles alone. It took a few seconds because I was expecting a Korean guy. I have no idea why I assumed there was only going to be 1 Asian guy in the video!!

P.S. Even my blade is the Ma Long blade haha. Embarrassed
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 11:55pm

Haha, well I don't know if I have a better excuse or not. Usually I can tell by his technique and even his leg muscles alone. It took a few seconds because I was expecting a Korean guy. I have no idea why I assumed there was only going to be 1 Asian guy in the video!!

P.S. Even my blade is the Ma Long blade haha. Embarrassed

Is it the DHS PG7? I love that blade too! It's one of the favourite blades at my club too....it's very linear and controllable, exactly what you need in a blade!
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 11:58pm

I'm an idiot. Even when shadowing my backhand top-spin drive I didn't see or feel supination, but when I slowed it down, guess what I saw? Ayuuuuh! Talk about complete self-unawareness. For me it just happens naturally, and am completely unaware of a conscious effort to do it. It is probably the only thing in table tennis I do naturally that is correct.

So now I am 100% in your camp. Not rolling the forearm seems unnatural to me.Smile  

TTGold: Thanks, I will look for your comments. (All of TTR-Hunter's videos look interesting to me. He has one video with English sub-titles, but it was from 2010. He's posted a lot more content since then. How much of it would actually be beneficial rather than interesting, I don't know.)

Edited to add: When I say rolling the forearm I don't mean to the point where my wrist is facing completely upwards.. 

I have played on and off for about 10 years and never noticed it haha.... For me I had the opposite experience, if you supinate fully you'll get even more power and spin! For me my wrist now faces upwards at the end of the stroke, with the blade, wrist and arm forming a straight line.
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic