FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

My match vs Korean pro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My match vs Korean pro
    Posted: 03/02/2019 at 2:12pm
I played in the Open event at Westchester TTC last week. I rarely play that event, but since Robert Gardos was in the draw I figured I had a good chance to challenge a high level opponent. While I missed the jackpot to play Gardos, I played an Alguetti and a Korean pro from Pusan (or is it Busan?). There was a team of 5 visiting Koreans and I think my opponent was the weakest of the bunch, estimated 2605 for the purpose of seeding. It was a reasonable estimate as he had match pt n the 4th with Sharon Alguetti (2601) but lost in the 5th.

I've thought about how seriously Chan Hwan Lim took me. He never goofed around but his sense of urgency was next to nothing. I call it playing in cruise control. I do the same on a club night when someone much below my level politely asks me to play. I play seriously but there's no intensity or focus as I go through the motions and allow 8 or 9 points per game. Note - this is not a complaint. My play had been weaker as of late and I know I shouldn't score as many points as I did vs someone on a regional Korean team. The challenge was to make him feel some pressure so that he'd play with more intensity. 

Another issue which may interest rating point nerds is that my match probably caused his rating to come out on the low side. My being in the 1900's and keeping 2 of the games close, 11-9, may have limited the unrated Korean's first rating as he came out 2298.

In summary, I really enjoyed the match and think I did some things well but not enough to make him fight. 

A longer post that I intended. Video will appear in next message
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Sponsored Links

heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 2:13pm
Here's my match with Chan Hwan Lim
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
avova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 3:11pm
He only won because of illegal serves :)
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 7:36pm
Ratings takes into account points per set? I had no idea.
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 7:42pm
Also its blowing my mind no umpire. I have played matches in a barn  and in basements of bars before and there were umpire tables, scorecards and umpires for official matches.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 8:02pm
Thanks for the match video.
You did well:   11-9   11-5   11-9   
(To me, it didn't look like he was messing around and not serious.)

Looks like he got the experience to play against pips:
His serves:  Heavy backspin serves and fast no-spin serves.

KomiTTa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KomiTTa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 12:47am
Great match, you put a really nice fight. Congratulations on the points score.
And indeed, almost all of his serves are illegal, he doesn't remove his free hand on time obstructing clear view of ball contact.

Did you give some hard time to Sharon Alguetti as well. You DID score 8 points in last two games against him. Very impressive. It would be nice to see that video too.

KomiTTa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KomiTTa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 3:24am
Originally posted by FruitLoop FruitLoop wrote:

You're right a priori. So, actual answer is: No, this particular algorithm  does NOT count points, neither  games (sets), even though, they are recorded. Right NOW, only overall match wins/losses are taken into account when calculating USATT ratings!

Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Another issue which may interest rating point nerds is that my match probably caused his rating to come out on the low side. My being in the 1900's and keeping 2 of the games close, 11-9, may have limited the unrated Korean's first rating as he came out 2298.
I'd be really happy if that was the case. And, also, same logic would imply that your rating should be much higher. It would motivate players to be more serious about every point. 

NOW, I'll play a role of point nerd you mentioned above and simply explain: 
Since, the new unrated player has wins and losses, the NEW Adjusted Rating is midpoint between player’s best win and worst loss;
In this case, Korean Pro's
 -best win is against 2023 rated player
-worst loss is against 2573 rated player
so, his new rating  of 2298 is right in the middle between those two numbers above.

Simple as that, (2023+2573)/2

pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 4:31am
2550 I think is more like a high level amateur.
2800 would be a pro like ittf top 80.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 03/03/2019 at 6:50am
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 7:45am
Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

Kanakh is 50th and only 2700.

2550 would be some low levels pros.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 10:50am
The guys jersey says Bucheon City... Usually you have to be around 2600+ USATT to be on that squad.

Would be an utter joke if guy gets rated hundreds below that.

Of course if he wasn't playing his standard for whatever reason, the rating is guunna be what it is.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 10:57am

Kanakh is 50th and only 2700.

2550 would be some low levels pros.

I think he moved to europe so his rating might no be so accurate.

Regardless of all this, I like the style of heavyspin.
He has good spin, good touch and good control.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 11:05am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

The guys jersey says Bucheon City... Usually you have to be around 2600+ USATT to be on that squad.

Of course if he wasn't playing his standard for whatever reason, the rating is guunna be what it is.

Not enough matches, so (BestWin + WorstLoss) was quite inaccurate in his case,  I guess best win came against 'heavyspin'. Luck of the draw...

Speaking about other rating jokes: Gardos ended up being 2677. Too low as well? 
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 11:38am
My mistake, I was thinking of the old school unrated method. So his failure to finish Alguetti in the 4th cost him a few hundred rating points.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 2:32pm

My mistake, I was thinking of the old school unrated method. So his failure to finish Alguetti in the 4th cost him a few hundred rating points.

Is alguetti considered a pro player in usa?
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 6:09pm

He is considered to be a number of things. Not sure if pro is one of them.
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

He is considered to be a number of things. Not sure if pro is one of them.

Very politely spokenWink! Based on what I've seen and heard of the Alguettis I wouldn't be surprised if people think of them as a major pain in the a$$.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 12:47am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Not enough matches, so (BestWin + WorstLoss) was quite inaccurate in his case,  I guess best win came against 'heavyspin'. Luck of the draw...

Speaking about other rating jokes: Gardos ended up being 2677. Too low as well? 

If 2677 is Gardos Rating... it is either a 100 point joke, or an indication of the deflationary tendencies over time of our rating system the last 10 years. Easily, this class of player was 2800 or so 10 yrs ago.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
KomiTTa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KomiTTa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 2:36am
Oo Odie,
you made me laughing, thank you.
Good sense for humor.
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 1:21pm
when Gardos was playing one could see his rating on a monitor, it showed 2800. When Roman, the guy who registered players  discussed with Robert's what rating Gardos should be given and I took part in it, we came to conclusion that he is above 2800  but for some reason they showed 2800 on umpire monitor. 
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 3:00pm

I am pretty sure they do not. Not even games won.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by osmar92 osmar92 wrote:

when Gardos was playing one could see his rating on a monitor, it showed 2800. When Roman, the guy who registered players  discussed with Robert's what rating Gardos should be given and I took part in it, we came to conclusion that he is above 2800  but for some reason they showed 2800 on umpire monitor. 

I'm not even sure why they had to do the whole guesstimate part - Gardos DID have USATT rating already. Tournament announcement/email/printed program notwithstanding, this was not his first US tournament, he already did at least 3 US Opens before that. 
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 3:13pm

I'm not even sure why they had to do the whole guesstimate part - Gardos DID have USATT rating already. Tournament announcement/email/printed program notwithstanding, this was not his first US tournament, he already did at least 3 US Opens before that. 

no idea
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 3:15pm

He wouldn't have been top seed and someone would have been miserable. 
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 3:24pm
heavyspin, was Lim using Korbel with Tenergy?
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

He wouldn't have been top seed and someone would have been miserable. 

Fair enough, it did cross my mind. Just shows how inaccurate ratings are at the top of the range.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 8:21am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

heavyspin, was Lim using Korbel with Tenergy?
No idea. In general, my pre-match inspection only determines whether the red and black sides are regular, pips, or anti.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic