Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

End of Long Pips Era?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by osmar92 osmar92 wrote:

Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

What I can tell is that the surface of abs ball is more rough so it grabs topshit thus reversal diminished. Also it is harder and old dumpening sponge cannot handle it properly. So combination of mentioned factors killed to a certain degree the reversal effect  I guess manufacturers will find proper composition. 
I think that the larger size also contributes to less spin.. Not sure if the main difference is the surface texture or the larger size....

Larger size is not a great factor as the ones I mentioned. Even the last edition of balls before abs is manageable for me  but abs just lowers my level like 100 points. My rating still dud not suffer that much but it takes much more effort. "Where I could easily destroy opponents now I have to work much harder. And it is much more difficult to play against strong opponents."

I think that even normal inverted players are saying the same thing....well maybe not "much harder", but simply harder.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Sponsored Links

Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 1:26pm

Larger size is not a great factor as the ones I mentioned. Even the last edition of balls before abs is manageable for me  but abs just lowers my level like 100 points. My rating still dud not suffer that much but it takes much more effort. Where I could easily destroy opponents now I have to work much harder. And it is much more difficult to play against strong opponents. 
Interesting.. I only played once with the new ABS ball at the Aurora Cup and I played well, beating a 2161 and a 2175 and not losing to anyone below my rating. I also took games of a high 2500 and a mid 2400 player, so my experience with the new ABS ball is not too bad. 

Edited by Pushblocker - 03/08/2019 at 1:27pm
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 1:34pm

Do you have a video of someone using that style against a decent opponent? 
[/QUOTE]

Sadly no... I know some people who fit that category, but I have not filmed them. It was just not beautiful enough, haha. But I'll keep it in mind and if I find something I'll direct it to you.
[/QUOTE]

I would like to see that video. I suspect others would too. Please post here if you get some.
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 1:44pm
I have tried the frictionless antis but could not get along with them. I imagine with a year's serious training, I could find one I liked and that might work better than the Dtecs OX which I always return to. However, I've found I really still like the feel of the ball striking the wood w/OX, among other things. And we generally use the xushofa ball, as do most other clubs--although the tournaments here are using the Nittaku and Stiga ABS (what a horrible ball...)--so I don't find too, too much of a difference from the old days. You get very few of those cheap n easy points as w/the old cell balls, but then again, bc the plastic/ABS ball is slower etc., I know there are FH rallies that I stay in and occasionally win, that I would not have w/the cell. So swings and roundabouts. I win fewer points off my serve these days, sure, but I also lose fewer points off my opponents' serves as well. Swings and...

And to return to the point about spending a year training up a frictionless anti rubber: rather, I've focused more on training my FH and now win, I'd say, 80% of points from play with this. (I was always more FH oriented anyway.) My footwork and FH generally have had to improve but if I want to continue playing at a certain level, FH it is...

So no, LPs ain't dead, but they ain't the free ride they sometimes used to be...

Incidentally, I found slow, short blocking LPs and antis relatively harmless vs good players and have opted for fast, long blocks--DTecs and my old Labyrinthos balsa carbon blade--to put pressure on w/returns and blocks to body etc. And then step around and...whack! Damn. Missed again...
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 1:46pm
And welcome back Tommyzai! I'll look forward to buying up the windfall from your EJing once again!
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 2:01pm

Larger size is not a great factor as the ones I mentioned. Even the last edition of balls before abs is manageable for me  but abs just lowers my level like 100 points. My rating still dud not suffer that much but it takes much more effort. Where I could easily destroy opponents now I have to work much harder. And it is much more difficult to play against strong opponents. 
Interesting.. I only played once with the new ABS ball at the Aurora Cup and I played well, beating a 2161 and a 2175 and not losing to anyone below my rating. I also took games of a high 2500 and a mid 2400 player, so my experience with the new ABS ball is not too bad. 
It could be a difference between anti and pips in terms of abs effect. My anti almost has5ni grip, your pips have better control. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 2:06pm

It could be a difference between anti and pips in terms of abs effect. My anti almost has5ni grip, your pips have better control. 
I have tried many antis and what makes me stay away from anti is the inconsistent trajectory when passively blocking or pushing.. Even the most frictionless anti has huge variations in trajectory on the same stroke. There may be strokes that minimize that but I don't like to adjust my stroke to the material. I like to adjust the material to my stroke, so I try many rubbers until I find one that works with my technique. Another thing that I dislike about antis is the sensitivity to heavy chop serves. Even the most frictionless antis have issues with those..
The National Team version of Talon has a consistently low trajectory.. Always the same trajectory on the same stroke.. D.Tecs is very similar to that also..

Edited by Pushblocker - 03/08/2019 at 2:07pm

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 2:26pm

I have tried many antis and what makes me stay away from anti is the inconsistent trajectory when passively blocking or pushing.. Even the most frictionless anti has huge variations in trajectory on the same stroke. There may be strokes that minimize that but I don't like to adjust my stroke to the material. I like to adjust the material to my stroke, so I try many rubbers until I find one that works with my technique. Another thing that I dislike about antis is the sensitivity to heavy chop serves. Even the most frictionless antis have issues with those..
The National Team version of Talon has a consistently low trajectory.. Always the same trajectory on the same stroke.. D.Tecs is very similar to that also..

I think they're more sensitive to blade angle, but still very consistent. I've tested a ton of them on my robot (for the most consistent balls to be fed at the stationary paddle) and the balls are fairly uniform, getting the expected bounce and spin reversal each time. 

Guessing from the outside, I'd wager your technique is so honed to the LP that that is probably your reason for having issues with them. I never really used too many long pips before swapping to anti for blocking, so for me the anti is much more stable, predictable and consistent. 
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 2:30pm
I've been out of the game for 1000 days, so I don't have much experience with the new ball. However, all my friends on here and there who rely on pip disruption/reversal claim it's a new game, and what worked before often no longer works. 

At best, due to my disability and refusal to have much strategy, I'm around a 1700 level. I rely on getting my opponent to make a mistake and pop the ball up via my BH/OX pip chop/punch/cut block so I can hit it home with my deadly FH. LOL Note: In a sense, I use three sides of the racket by virtue of a modified windshield/Seemiller grip . . . FH, BH (with FH rubber), and BH pip. So, I'm hoping to find a new setup that will help me get beyond my lowly level of play. 

I formerly used Grass DtecS/OX/Red. Is there anything better at this point and time?

Edited by tommyzai - 03/08/2019 at 2:33pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

I think they're more sensitive to blade angle, but still very consistent. I've tested a ton of them on my robot (for the most consistent balls to be fed at the stationary paddle) and the balls are fairly uniform, getting the expected bounce and spin reversal each time. 

Guessing from the outside, I'd wager your technique is so honed to the LP that that is probably your reason for having issues with them. I never really used too many long pips before swapping to anti for blocking, so for me the anti is much more stable, predictable and consistent. 
I guess that it depends on your stroke. My game requires to block the ball off the bounce at 90 degree angle and slightly open when aggressively pushing. Those strokes do not work well with antis. You have to vary racket angle too much. The "off the bounce" game does not work well at all with anti. Anti is great if you wait for the ball to come to you where you can chop block or hit but off the bounce, you have to adjust racket angle on almost every stroke while with a good long pips rubber, you can use the almost identical racket angle except for very heavy incoming spin.

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 6:43pm
I have seen more and more people using pips recently.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 8:24pm
I've oddly been running into a fair amount of players playing anti lately. None of them were at a super high level. The highest one was maybe equivalent to USATT 1900. Anti typically doesn't bother me at all. Also, how about medium pimples? One of the best pimple players at my regular club is actually a medium pimples player. He's also one of the better players at the club overall. I haven't beat him yet. 

Edited by ericd937 - 03/08/2019 at 8:24pm
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

. . . How about medium pimples? One of the best pimple players at my regular club is actually a medium pimples player. He's also one of the better players at the club overall. I haven't beat him yet. 

I know two MP players who hit through everything . . . it doesn't matter what kind of spin of lack thereof . . . they smash the ball. I tried MPs, but I couldn't get used to the lack of arc . . . if I didn't catch the ball at the height of the bounce I either hit into the net or off the table long. Same has been true for my SP experiments. I'm unable to drop the ball on the table. I guess I rely on a slight top to sink down.

I'm not sure about using MPs for chop blocking and such. Would they do anything special?

Edited by tommyzai - 03/08/2019 at 9:21pm
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2019 at 12:39pm

I am mostly interesting in heavy reversals, everything else I can adjust too. Variations and inconsistency sometimes work in your favor, double edged sword.. But when reversal is not there or creates no problem for high level players. The only way to compete at high level it is reversals that prevents high level player from attacking you 2 times in  a row and that creates opportunity for counter attack. 

Edited by osmar92 - 03/09/2019 at 12:40pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2019 at 7:05pm
Quote I am mostly interesting in heavy reversals, everything else I can adjust too. Variations and inconsistency sometimes work in your favor, double edged sword.. But when reversal is not there or creates no problem for high level players. The only way to compete at high level it is reversals that prevents high level player from attacking you 2 times in  a row and that creates opportunity for counter attack. 
Good players will keep the spin so low that even the best reversal has little effect on them. Soft, low spin opener followed up by flat kill or loop kill.. Placement is the only viable strategy against that..

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2019 at 5:02am

What pips is that player using? Killer pro?
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2019 at 12:26pm

Quote I am mostly interesting in heavy reversals, everything else I can adjust too. Variations and inconsistency sometimes work in your favor, double edged sword.. But when reversal is not there or creates no problem for high level players. The only way to compete at high level it is reversals that prevents high level player from attacking you 2 times in  a row and that creates opportunity for counter attack. 
Good players will keep the spin so low that even the best reversal has little effect on them. Soft, low spin opener followed up by flat kill or loop kill.. Placement is the only viable strategy against that..

one should have good attack arsenal from both sides so if good player softens you attack. Only by pushing  and blocking from backhand it wont get much. Since I twiddle and attack from both sides I need only good reversal and blocking. I do not use anti twice in a row( rarely) in rally. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2019 at 2:07pm

one should have good attack arsenal from both sides so if good player softens you attack. Only by pushing  and blocking from backhand it wont get much. Since I twiddle and attack from both sides I need only good reversal and blocking. I do not use anti twice in a row( rarely) in rally. 
I can't twiddle to inverted on the backhand anymore due to injury. Attacking from the backhand immediately brings back the tennis elbow pain. My only option against soft attacks is to step around and attack them with my forehand. My tennis elbow limits my options. Forehand is not affected by my tennis elbow..

Edited by Pushblocker - 03/10/2019 at 2:09pm

osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2019 at 2:27pm

I can't twiddle to inverted on the backhand anymore due to injury. Attacking from the backhand immediately brings back the tennis elbow pain. My only option against soft attacks is to step around and attack them with my forehand. My tennis elbow limits my options. Forehand is not affected by my tennis elbow..

get well, i had injuries as well, get physical therapy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2019 at 3:12pm
get well, i had injuries as well, get physical therapy
Thanks.. Since July 2016, I'm having problems with my elbow.. Played almost a year with pain.. Only played tournaments and no practice to reduce stress to the elbow. Eventually, mid to late 2017 it improved.. was pain free from November 2017 to June 2018.. Hurt the elbow again with a backhand attack after twiddling.. Have stayed away from any backhand attacks to prevent hurting the elbow again. Right now, I don't have elbow pain but I'm sure that if I start twiddling and backhand attacking again, it will come back.. I don't think that my issue can be fixed without some type of surgery.. On and off for almost 3 years years now... :-(

Edited by Pushblocker - 03/10/2019 at 3:13pm

Eric Fountain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Fountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2019 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

disability
pop the ball up so I can hit it home with my deadly FH
Seemiller grip
formerly used Grass DtecS/OX/Red

Everything is still basically the same. The earlier Xushaofa seamless 40+ were noticably less spinny, more bouncy/direct, kind of fun for a more athletic game. We've long since settled into the Nittaku 40+ etc. era though which is pretty comparable to whatever you remember. Everything you listed lines up perfectly with something like LP -- disability, style preference of disruption into FH, Seemiller grip to prevent anyone from pinning you too hard on that side. Dtecs might still be the best if you are passive -- I never liked the slimy, vague feel, hard to place the ball for me. If you mix in more all-around play then also try Dornenglanz (original, not 2), I have been quite impressed with that. Similar style, better sense of agency, also just as well known and regarded for so long. Frictionless anti I think you lose some of the all around capabilities, that's a pretty extreme / specialized option for maximum reversal blocking against loopers but much harder than it looks to get the angle right and actually use overall. MP is mostly just more disruptive SP, best used hyper aggressively. I would just jump back into LP if I were you. Any of these options are still viable far past any rating that any of us will ever hit in our lifetimes, so just go with whatever feels right and try to have fun.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2019 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Eric Fountain Eric Fountain wrote:

. . .  try Dornenglanz (original, not 2), I have been quite impressed with that. Similar style, better sense of agency, also just as well known and regarded for so long. . . . I would just jump back into LP if I were you. Any of these options are still viable far past any rating that any of us will ever hit in our lifetimes, so just go with whatever feels right and try to have fun.

Thanks, Eric. Much appreciated. ;-) Oddly, I just hit with a sheet of Dornenglanz II/OX and really like it. The blade it's on gives a nice wooden "clunk" like hardbat. Thanks to MYTT member Tuco for sending to me to check out. Does Dornenglanz I play much different? 
Eric Fountain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Fountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2019 at 10:06pm
I don't know 2 to be bad (1-2 sessions so I can't really say), just that it isn't a known commodity and well regarded like say D.Tecs or DG1. That and one thing people agree on is that DG2 is a completely different rubber, might as well have been given a new name.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Eric Fountain Eric Fountain wrote:

I don't know 2 to be bad (1-2 sessions so I can't really say), just that it isn't a known commodity and well regarded like say D.Tecs or DG1. That and one thing people agree on is that DG2 is a completely different rubber, might as well have been given a new name.

I played against DG2 and is weird and  hard to cope heard that DG1 doesnt last but even that people buy it
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 10:28pm
I chop with both Anti and long/medium pips. 
With plastic balls, I have to change my focus on my chop completely.

I used to be able to chop some really heavy underspin for people to hit the ball toward the net. It never really happens since the Plastic ball is introduced. So I have to focus on spin variation like some said. 

I would not say the LP era is finished. The advantage of unfamiliarity with the style is still there. It is very hard to play against someone with long/medium pip or anti, if he/she has not really encounter those play style for a long time.

Other than that, just work on your own game. the Same tactic that works on old ball does not always work with plastic ball.

Edited by a23096713 - 03/11/2019 at 10:30pm
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2019 at 10:36pm
I have decided not to change anything on my blocking style. If you block directly off the bounce, you can't easily change the spin. You'd have to wait for the ball to rise higher so that you can manipulate the spin. This gives your opponent more time.. My blocking style is so effective as I cut down on the time that the opponent has to decide on his next stroke. If I would take the ball later and manipulate the spin, I give the opponent too much time. With the plastic ball, I need to put away attackable balls and low spin opening balls. Only issue is lack of being able to attack from the backhand side.  I did try to attack a couple of times from the backhand in practice today and no pain.. However, I'm pretty sure that if I'll incorporate that backhand twiddle attack with inverted back into my game, the tennis elbow will return :(
I need to create enough respect for my offense so that opponents have to open up more aggressive in order for me not to attack their opening shot. Some of the matches I lost in recent month to lower rated players were mostly due to bad choices at my part.. I thought that I could outlast the opponents by pushing back their no spin shots. I should have played more offensive.. Need to attack low spin balls with inverted.

Edited by Pushblocker - 03/12/2019 at 10:39pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic