Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Lovely Viscaria ST 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2019 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Lula Lula wrote:

How was it not like you expected?

I expected more power from this blade.  It's mostly my fault.  I knew that the Viscaria is a 25+ years design for 38mm ball, but I expected too much from it.  It plays well near the table, but it doesn't have the power at 5 feet (~1.5m) away from the table.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Sponsored Links

timoboll89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboll89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2019 at 1:32pm
it doesnt have power because its 84 grams. 
I play with a 94 gr viscaria and its a rocket
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by timoboll89 timoboll89 wrote:

it doesnt have power because its 84 grams. 
I play with a 94 gr viscaria and its a rocket

The new model with 94 grams?
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboll89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2019 at 4:35pm
no its a 2nd serie
symbat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote symbat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2019 at 1:17pm
How was the blade overall?  How was the control?  Topspin of underspin balls?   Also, as for the speed, what other blade is the speed similar to?

I mostly play close to the table, so speed and power from away from the table does not matter as much to me.

I am looking for a blade that is good for close to the table, has a ST handle and weighs between 84-86gr.

Thank you...

Edited by symbat - 05/06/2019 at 1:19pm
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by symbat symbat wrote:

How was the blade overall?  How was the control?  Topspin of underspin balls?   Also, as for the speed, what other blade is the speed similar to?

I mostly play close to the table, so speed and power from away from the table does not matter as much to me.

I am looking for a blade that is good for close to the table, has a ST handle and weighs between 84-86gr.

Thank you...

If you play mostly close to the table, then this blade is still good.  It starts losing power when you are moving out.  Viscaria is really good for all types of topspin games, especially close to the table.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
symbat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote symbat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2019 at 11:23am
Thanks Speedy.  

I have an 84gr ST on the way and I will see how she plays.  I have an 82gr Liu Shiwen ST and the weight works well for me, especially with the larger head size and more weight in the rubbers.   I hope the ST handles are the same on these two blades.   From what I have found online, the dimensions should be the same.
windysummer1 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysummer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2019 at 8:11pm
I guess that’s why nobody is selling their vis st cause everyone is liking and keeping theirs 
My feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79696
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2019 at 10:27pm
I think anyone who thinks a Viscaria is too slow for play with the current ball just needs to use it a bit longer.  There is no universe in which this blade is too anemic away from the table.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2019 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I think anyone who thinks a Viscaria is too slow for play with the current ball just needs to use it a bit longer.  There is no universe in which this blade is too anemic away from the table.

Playing styles are different.  If you see the player who made that statement's playing style, his statement might make sense.  In general, since the whole CNT is using Viscarias, you are obviously right.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2019 at 6:20am
Any blade that light would feel slow...
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2019 at 10:16am
No offense to anyone, but I used over 300 different blades.  I can tell if they are slow or not.  If you take times to use a blade, meaning you are adapting to it.  The blade doesn't change.  You will change your strokes and angle of impacts to make the ball go as fast as possible.

CNT is using Viscarias.  Ok, I got it.  So, I have three questions (1) are we 100% sure that they are using exactly what we are buying on the market? (2) Do we/they boost their rubbers? (3) Do you think that we have the same ability to do what CNT is doing?

Again, no offense to anyone, I tested the blade with Tenergy 64 and H3 "National" without boosting the rubbers.  So, when I said "slow", I am comparing to other blades (i.e. MJ ZLC, TB ZLC, etc...)

Having said that, I am keeping my Viscarias LOL  They are beautiful.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

No offense to anyone, but I used over 300 different blades.  I can tell if they are slow or not.  If you take times to use a blade, meaning you are adapting to it.  The blade doesn't change.  You will change your strokes and angle of impacts to make the ball go as fast as possible.

CNT is using Viscarias.  Ok, I got it.  So, I have three questions (1) are we 100% sure that they are using exactly what we are buying on the market? (2) Do we/they boost their rubbers? (3) Do you think that we have the same ability to do what CNT is doing?

Again, no offense to anyone, I tested the blade with Tenergy 64 and H3 "National" without boosting the rubbers.  So, when I said "slow", I am comparing to other blades (i.e. MJ ZLC, TB ZLC, etc...)

Having said that, I am keeping my Viscarias LOL  They are beautiful.
I am with Speedy on this one.
I've tried so many viscarias and always wondered why this blade is liked so much.
Recently a club mate purchased a "$2000"-25 year old -first generation viscaria that was allegedly verified by butterfly that it was the first gen of viscaria made. Feels good, sure. It feels slow to me LOL
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 2:44pm
I switched to Viscaria about four months ago after using TB ALC for many years (I have three of them).  I don't find the Viscaria slower than the ALC, just a different balance and, of course, a much different handle.

Yesterday I bought a second Viscaria from Paddle Palace as a backup.  I checked out the new straight handle version and I really like the feel of that handle.  However, the heaviest blade they had in straight was only 84 gm, which is too light for me.  So I went with their heaviest flare handle, which was 87 gm (the same as my current Viscaria).

I should mention that all my TB ALC blades are around 93 gm.  I'd love to get a Viscaria at 90 gm, but I don't think that's going to happen with the current generation.

What I don't understand is why the straight handle blades are lighter than the flare handles.  It just seems like they should have been able to make an 87 gm straight handle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboll89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 2:47pm
a viscaria of less than 90 gr is not a real viscaria...it loses the “kick” and becomes more flexible, also the feedback to the hand is different, it vibrates more than heavy exemplars
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 2:50pm
Yes, but when was the last time they made a 90+ gm Viscaria?  As i understand it, that's only in the early generations.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboll89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 2:51pm
they started to make light viscaria with new lens behind the handle
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 2:53pm
All the new ones are really light. I don’t know why... Butterfly Japan writes 82g on their homepage for that blade now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboll89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 3:06pm
two ideas:

They changed the factory where they produce it

Or

They give it different playing characteristics in order to create a positioning for the new ALCs which are also more expensive.

All companies sooner or later abandon old products for new ones

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 6:35pm
Is Viscaria light discontinued right now? If it's still in production it might be named "Viscaria light/ heavier than Viscaria".

Confused
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2019 at 9:12pm
I am reading comments here and still wondering: What's exactly your purpose?
This question is mainly for the Topic Owner.

To me, this model blade named with the valuable name Viscaria has nothing common to the real Viscaria name holder. It is not possible 80 grams blades to be compared to 95-100 grams blades.
Old Viscaria had some examples even about 105 grams.

Can you tell me where you go with 80 or even 78 grams toothpick?

Sounds more than funny to discuss with some superior words for a thing that doesn't matters even to a recreational player. The disappointment with that ugly act from Butterfly for me was pretty huge when I catched the 1st batch received in the store. I laughed a lot and asked seller HOW IS POSSIBLE these people to joke with us in that way. Of course, he was not able to answer...

Specially to me, Butterfly made a big joke with people all over the world with that funny product, which could be used only by children for learning strokes. But even then, the control is not enough good. So, it could be only appropriate for someone who is collecting blades.

From the moment I catched the new Viscaria ST, Butterfy lost a client for decades.

DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2019 at 10:35pm
I'm not really EJ'er so maybe I'm a noob...I never played with a 90g+ old version/black tag....mine is 87g and bought 4yrs ago...but wouldn't the fact this is ST handle have just a little bit affect the weight?  I mean the FL does have more wood in the handle?  Wouldn't the correct measurement is to know the balance in the head weight?

Certainly a 80g viscaria is crazy light...I've been playing tennis longer than table tennis so i know how racket weight affects power, maneuverability and control.

Is it possible it is just a case of a big company with bad QC issues?  Wilson tennis has a really bad reputation for the same racket but huge variations in weight and head-weight 'balance'. But the vast majority of buyers are just rec players and not league so they will never really fix the weight inconsistencies.

Soulspin germany had similar issue I bought a blade that was supposed to be around 86-87g and it was 78g.  Returned it immediately.   I don't think this is a butterfly issue alone.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2019 at 3:01am
I think that BTY designed a wise business strategy making them lighter then slower and finally making new batches more suitable to a wider spectrum of player.  As a company their goal is to make money, so they took advantage of ZJK and his success and the huge hype of his VIS,  taking profit of the situation.
When I  came into the sport around 25 years ago, no one wanted Viscaria  because they were too heavy rackets. Old versions were dense wood  and definitely really demanding blades just for advanced/really high 
level players, but the newer ones as someone stated has nothing to do with old models from +90gr. 
I own a 96gr black tag and recently a friend borrowed me his new 84 and that was like a toy. Softer, slower but more controllable: nothing to do with the other one. I don't mean it was necessary bad, but also different. To be honest, I did like it even more than old, but at that price id rather prefer any other quality  5/7 plys allwood which are at least as fast but more controllable.
OTOH quality keeps the same, but I can't explain why there's such a huge difference in weight from older to new batches? Perhaps they're selecting the less dense plywoods? Shaving the handle cups making them hollow then lighter? How knows!

iMO Butterfly is making an effort to bring fibers blades to everyone.... Of course at an insane price. Same thing happens with Innerforce series which almost play like an ordinary allwood, but it's cooler with great quality and construction with smarter handle colours so they are supposed to be allowed to chargue you 5x more than your old Korbel/Primorac OFF-  that could do exactly the same.

Edited by jonyer1980 - 07/27/2019 at 3:04am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 2:08pm
Add some weight to it to make it like 90grams and it will be rocket of the table! there are some edge tapes u can add just to the wood on the top or I think butterfly even carries weights (looks like edge tape) a lot of pros I think use some sort of weight for their own preference etc...
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Yes, but when was the last time they made a 90+ gm Viscaria?  As i understand it, that's only in the early generations.

I bought newest generation Viscaria few months ago.  Mine is 93 grams.  As a matter of fact, all Viscarias that I weighed are above 90 grams.

I don't think that BTY is making lighter viscaria, but I think the wood supplied for making those particular blades is less dense.   So this must be variation of wood used.

Edited by doraemon - 08/15/2019 at 9:43pm
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic