Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building my blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building my blades
    Posted: 06/07/2019 at 1:31pm
Send me a PM with an address where to ship the blade.
Sponsored Links

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2019 at 7:19am
Thats not too bad. I would try the 76 gram blade. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
adyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2019 at 4:49am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

I would love to test them, but I'm currently living in Vietnam. The shipping might be quite expensive. 
For Standard Ground Shipping I got a price of around 14 USD and it would probably take 3 weeks to reach you.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2019 at 9:23am
I would love to test them, but I'm currently living in Vietnam. The shipping might be quite expensive. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
adyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2019 at 9:07am
Me again, bothering the forum.
I am searching for some testers for 2 blades.

1st - is an asymetric (fast) defensive ALL+/OFF blade. It has 76 grams, ~7.5mm thickness with a headsize of 163x154mm.

2nd - is an ALL+ symetric blade, 66.4 grams, ~6.2mm and headsize 156x150.5mm. It has balsa core and an Koto outer. It feels stiff and somewhat slowish due to the balsa core. Has some lite vibrations, just enough to give some feedback and due to the litheness feels a bit hollow.

If anyone curious to test, we will do the following:
- I will ship the blade to the tester (I pay the shipping);
- tester will test for 2-4 weeks and write here a review with the goods and the bads;
- tester sends the blade back to me or to the next tester (tester pays the shipping);

Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 1:58am
hmm, not sure how it would work if you wanted them to patent your idea. It should be the other way around... Not a lawyer, so speculating. Anyways, go to a pattern attorney or maybe there are some government agencies that could help with that and for example give a preliminary opinion for free :) 

off course there could be an issue that you spend money and your idea doesn't sell.. or does not sell good enough to cover the costs...
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2019 at 3:50pm
I would love to bring technology to the market too.

Actually I thought about contacting several companys and getting them to sign nondisclosure.
And showing them some ideas via prototypes. Get them to patent the idea.
I never wanted to make endless blades myself.
What I wanted to do is get a check to further my quest and a small fee for each sold.
And still work for them bringing other ideas to light.
That would be my ideal dream.

Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2019 at 5:55am
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

From everything I've seen major manufactures do lots of things.. IN THE HANDLE.
Most do this as a gimmick  or to slightly change how a blade plays.
Ive gone to the extreme with the theory and done it in numerous ways.
Im not sure why no one hasn't done it before now.

That's a good question. I personally had a problem when I was looking for a case for my racket. Considering my blade, my setup is very affordable, but nether the less, I like to keep my weapon Smilesafe. Maybe I am into packaging or smth LOL So I have a regular fabric case, which protects only from scratches on the rubbers, but if I stuffed my racket (and that's what I usually do) together with other things in my bag, it can be bent and brake... also there is nowhere to put my balls. Also I have an aluminum metal case, but it's only for one racket (and I have a spare) and it looks like a gun case LOL.
So being jealous (or better being inspired) by the players who make their own blades, I am planning to make my own perfect custom case for my rackets. I have an idea that I like, but I lack time, so my project is advancing very slowly, but I think I will have a little bit more time in the future and put more effort into it. So what I wanted to say, keeping in mind my idea, I have the same strange question "Im not sure why no one hasn't done it before now". Smile

addy,
Remember the Andro handles with little beads inside?
Kinetic I believe.. it didn't have enough weight to do much of anything.

When I started doing blades I went from passive to active tech.

Never heard of Andro Kinetic before. Had to google it. It looks very unusual...
So i guess when you refer to active tech you mean something like that opposed to a rendler that should be considered as a passive system?

It seems you should definitely try to introduce it to the market and test it. I don't know your system, but it could find its niche like rembler, or it can be a big hit. As I said, you should investigate the possibility to register it as an industrial design, but if the functionality is obtained by some internal mechanics it may be not possible and then it's patenting. Anyways, at least where I live, there is a special government institution which support small business doing "inventions" or smth in that kind by covering the biggest part of the costs of registering the design or patenting...

Edited by Simas - 04/18/2019 at 5:57am
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2019 at 8:11pm
addy,
Remember the Andro handles with little beads inside?
Kinetic I believe.. it didn't have enough weight to do much of anything.
Or the 3D handle of Yasaka?
My favorite one is the KSLS System of Rendler.
When I started doing blades I went from passive to active tech.
adyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2019 at 2:58pm
Yes, many are hollowed out or have some tricks inside. I have repaired a few Butterflies and I "dis-assembled" them to see and tested myself how it works with or without a hollowed out handle.

Also another interesting system - that I did not tested yet and it seems patented - is the TSP Reflex 50 system.

The problem with designs like these is that a picture and/or a curious customer is enough. Once it's seen by someone curious enough who is able to craft some sort of prototype ... a very far cousin of that system will appear somewhere.

Edited by adyy - 04/17/2019 at 2:59pm
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2019 at 8:36pm
From everything I've seen major manufactures do lots of things.. IN THE HANDLE.

Most do this as a gimmick  or to slightly change how a blade plays.

Ive gone to the extreme with the theory and done it in numerous ways.

Im not sure why no one hasn't done it before now.
adyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2019 at 4:17pm
Maybe you can explain a bit, how the handle can change the way the ball behaves!
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2019 at 5:30pm

My idea wasn't to so much make the blade  myself but to either partner with a company or blade maker and market them that way

that's a good option
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2019 at 4:29pm
 Simas

Thanks for the info. Actually after starting with different design handles I actually went to making handles that changed to various degrees.. how the ball reacts and plays.

Ive been at that level for awhile

My idea wasn't to so much make the blade  myself but to either partner with a company or blade maker and market them that way

Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2019 at 9:01am

adyy, wish I could ... would love to show them but they're not patented.

Ive talked to patent lawyers and they tell me if I sell or show some company will reproduce and dare me to sue them.

I'm sure some of the handle designs are beneficial and unlike any I've ever seen.
I have looked at all sports to get ideas from baseball to surfing.

I use my imagination in everything I do.

I am not a lawyer but as far as I know the problem with disclosing your design is not only that others will be able to copy it, but it will loose the newness quality and won't qualify for a patenting. So you must submit the application and get a patent pending status and then you can start manufacturing the handles. It should be cheaper then completing the procedure and making the handles only then because you won't have to pay upkeep fee. But overall patenting is very expensive...

Maybe there is a better option of registering it as an industrial design? It's much cheaper, easier and quicker....
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2019 at 8:50am
Originally posted by adyy adyy wrote:

Hi all!

I will start here a thread too, since this forum seems a bit more EJ styled than others. 

LOL Big smile

Great job addy. I always enjoy DIY blade threads and envy the people who can make them. Please continue to post your blade making journey!
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2019 at 9:16pm
adyy, wish I could ... would love to show them but they're not patented.

Ive talked to patent lawyers and they tell me if I sell or show some company will reproduce and dare me to sue them.

I'm sure some of the handle designs are beneficial and unlike any I've ever seen.
I have looked at all sports to get ideas from baseball to surfing.

I use my imagination in everything I do.

adyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2019 at 4:04pm
Hi Dr.Cho,

Yes, the epoxy passed through the mahogany. Being inexperienced, I thought that the wood is compact enough and this will not happen.
Meanwhile I have learned that I need to seal the woods first, especially those that are porous.

Can you (make a dedicated thread and) show us some of your handles? It would be interesting to see.

For the future I want that build to be redesigned, since I have liked it and I think it has some potential.

Edited by adyy - 04/07/2019 at 4:09pm
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2019 at 3:15pm
Nice work there adyy, Looks like the Epoxy might have leached thru on your first paddle.
But fun to take ideas to fruition and try them out.

In the last 5 years I've went thru making different design handles to now making blades that actually change how the ball behaves.

It sure doesn't help with consistant playing but its fun none the less

Dr. Cho

adyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2019 at 12:43pm
Hi all!

I will start here a thread too, since this forum seems a bit more EJ styled than others. 
There is one started allready here:
but that is anoter story/community allready.

Some months ago - around end of October last year - I have started glueing home-made blades. The trigger for this was a joke I have made with an office colleague that lost his Yasaka blade. I promised him that I will craft something out of some furniture ply so he can be happy again.

The thing is, there was a weekend in front of me and I started reading a bit about blade making. And the engineer in me was thrilled and the engineer was challenged. Furniture ply was allready not an option. At home I had some mahogany, some balsa, fiberglass and epoxy. So, I started the first prototype. 

Than, a week later it came the second one since I was not happy with the first. And this second was handed over to the mad colleague. It proved much too fast for what he expected. And it was really too fast and heavy. It had 1636Hz@88dB and 101 grams.

Since than, some other prototypes were built. Some were inspired from the common koto/limba/spruce/carbon/ayous/kiri mass-market models and some my own design.

Here's my 1st creation (now allready retired LOL )

And the second one (also retired from usage and the user has a new build)

It was carved with a hand knife and pressed between some hardcover books.
But since then, the "technology" progressed. I've built myself a mechanical press and I am using a professional trimmer.

Here's some new recent build, a zebrano-spruce-ayous construction:

Edited by adyy - 04/07/2019 at 4:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic