Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Indecision in strokes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
maurice101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indecision in strokes
    Posted: 05/08/2019 at 12:01am
I had a lesson with an ex pro coach. I talked about how I can do good technique at training but it all falls apart in matches. He talked about how club players have a lot of indecision in their play while pros have very little.  In training you have less indecision as you are usually doing a set routine. He stated that my lack of time to do the correct technique in matches is due to this factor.

So he said as soon as I do a long or short push go in mental attack mode. Assume the ball is coming back as a long push (most likely at the low level which I play at) and set the mind up to attack and be ready to get the bat low and in the correct body position for a topspin attack on the backhand or good rotation on the forehand. So mentally you are setting your body to do the correct thing as soon as you push. Of course if the return is too fast or short you can still push.

Since you are mentally ready to attack earlier with no indecision, your anticipation skills should go up and your attack win percentages should go up too.

We did a training drill in that as soon as I pushed long I had to attack.

So I was thinking that a lot of training is about doing routines that are match like that help reduce indecision in match play.

Any comments on this topic and on how people reduce their indecision.

Edited by maurice101 - 05/08/2019 at 12:37am
Sponsored Links

DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2019 at 12:10am
This is precisely the issue I have--everything falls apart in games which apparently is due to indecision. Now that I think of it, everything works out much better when I'm on the attack. Thanks for your post!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2019 at 7:50am
Originally posted by maurice101 maurice101 wrote:

I had a lesson with an ex pro coach. I talked about how I can do good technique at training but it all falls apart in matches. He talked about how club players have a lot of indecision in their play while pros have very little.  In training you have less indecision as you are usually doing a set routine. He stated that my lack of time to do the correct technique in matches is due to this factor.

So he said as soon as I do a long or short push go in mental attack mode. Assume the ball is coming back as a long push (most likely at the low level which I play at) and set the mind up to attack and be ready to get the bat low and in the correct body position for a topspin attack on the backhand or good rotation on the forehand. So mentally you are setting your body to do the correct thing as soon as you push. Of course if the return is too fast or short you can still push.

Since you are mentally ready to attack earlier with no indecision, your anticipation skills should go up and your attack win percentages should go up too.

We did a training drill in that as soon as I pushed long I had to attack.

So I was thinking that a lot of training is about doing routines that are match like that help reduce indecision in match play.

Any comments on this topic and on how people reduce their indecision.
Honestly, I am a bit surprised that this is the first time you are hearing about this.  Maybe you just wanted to share knowledge with the forum?

While I can't control for all the variables, my experience is that if you don't have the ability to use ball quality (spin, placement,  speed) to limit the options of your opponent , then these things sound like revelations. When you have a certain quality of ball, you can vary things to reduce the quality of what your opponent can do to the ball.

The  more your training addresses real problems that cost you points in your matches,  the faster you will improve (could still take time but it will be faster).  General technical improvement is good,  but has a much longer term focus.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2019 at 12:20pm

Generally If things are falling apart in match play scenario’s then I would suggest working on irregular drills where you have less control and must adapt,recover and you will be able to relax and get used to the feeling. Sometimes pressure can cause a stifling feeling which will stop people in their tracks. Getting over that is a normal progression of training and working on it.  

A good topspin drill I’ve found is usually.. serve, the partner pushes long to either your forehand or backhand and then you topspin half pace to their backhand while they switch you around 1 backhand 2 forehands and so whatever they want… so you have to change and move. They aren’t trying to beat you…. just get you a little off balance, so you have to recover. A bit like a slow match play point. Things to remember are try and play the shot correctly, recover for the next ball.

Once you get a bit stronger at it try and go a little faster but aim for 15 balls on the table first. It used to be called whole table half table years ago when I was training but probably has a fancy name now like pear twist or something.

If the issue is from serve and 3rd or 5th ball then again make sure the topspin return in on and you are ready then play the point out at half pace. Moving, recovering and relaxing. It’s a matter of feeling and making sure you rotate, move and recover. Then slowly over the weeks get a little faster.

I’m sure if it that helps?

Also if you are just starting out on training or playing at a higher level go at a pace where you make the balls more than not.

I've seen a lot of people who I am sparing partners for try and play way toooo fast. The body has to learn before it can make things happen quickly. Repetition and well spent table time is the key. It may take a few months to get it to a nice tempo where you are going steady.

What the coach said is true the student sees many options ..the master maybe only one.

Cheers

GZ

maurice101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2019 at 5:55pm
Thanks next level for the put down in your comment. Why do you do this? Its a public forum for beginners to experts.

My point in the post was that according to my coach, indecision plays a larger role in anticipation skills than most players realize.  Of course I did know that being uncertain about a shot selection is bad but it goes deeper than this and that is the reason why I posted.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by maurice101 maurice101 wrote:

Thanks next level for the put down in your comment. Why do you do this? Its a public forum for beginners to experts.

My point in the post was that according to my coach, indecision plays a larger role in anticipation skills than most players realize.  Of course I did know that being uncertain about a shot selection is bad but it goes deeper than this and that is the reason why I posted.

My apologies for my tone but we have discussed these issues a lot in mutual circles.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2019 at 1:12am
That means you've not drilled it to the point it becomes reflex, provided you have a solid foundation.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic