FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Fishscale?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishscale?
    Posted: 05/24/2019 at 10:44pm
Hey

When reading blade reviews here and there I sometimes see "fishscale" term is used to describe what I think appearance of top ply. 

Someone please explain in more details 
  • What exactly is fishscale when in comes to TT blades?
  • Can 2 blades from the same wood one be described as "fishscale" while the other is not, I mean is it side effect of manufacturing process or special treatment done on purpose. As I've no clue what I am talking about, these might be silly questions :))
  • How does it affect playing characteristics?
  • How is it being perceived on the TT sales market? Is it considered an advantage or opposite?

Thanks

Edited by fmarek - 05/25/2019 at 5:54am
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2019 at 3:28am
Nothing special, performance-wise.

Say no to sheeple.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2019 at 6:01am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Say no to sheeple.

Thumbs Up
Alisha_Hooksit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisha_Hooksit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2019 at 10:36am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Say no to sheeple.

Not quite so fast my Sheeple, while I cannot for the life of me recall the source, I did read a Viscaria topic aways past on why Fishscale was coveted, and several authentic woodworking blade geeks explained/postulated that these most prized Viscarias having the most prominent Fishscale did indeed have the most superior performance beyond mere beauty aesthetics. There was something about how the Koto wood veneer was quartersawn within the heart of the slab that was indicated on the wood grain by the Fishscale evidence, and that the very top players whom had the luxury of selecting their blades would always grab the more Fishscaled samples for the very best quality and performance at the recommendation of the blademakers themselves...so the legend was there apparently birthed... realistically tho I also rather doubt any of us mere mortals never could tell a lick of difference with the hittin' either...but what fun would that be?Wink
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2019 at 10:45am
How can blade with scales be better if in TT the great part of "better" is consistent. Based on what I saw in the Internet that pattern is never uniform. There are samples where only half of the top ply shows scales. 

Now I get it, while it looks better it might be somewhat harder too. But can bounces on it be more consistent comparing to normal surface? hm... 

Edited by fmarek - 05/25/2019 at 9:16pm
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2019 at 12:52pm
Its purely aesthetics nothing more.

Sellers use this schema to charge extra.

Don't believe the hype.

FdT
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2019 at 1:39pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisha_Hooksit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Don't believe the hype.

FdT

And I agree once again, the performance aspect is hype, but the point of my first reply was to illuminate how the hype originated, and once hype grows legs it tends to hang around. FWIW the arch-typical collectors of vintage as well as modern-day Viscarias will energetically seek and happily pay a premium price for those rarer pieces with the most prominent Fish-Scalability; few if any are buying it for a performance edge to begin with, the collector mystique for desirability is their driving force, and certainly nothing wrong with allowing them to pursue their right to happiness either, so it's all good.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2019 at 5:30pm
I know some members of this forum swear by Viscaria large fishscale blades. It's a way of life for Viscaria collectors. I always wanted one and still looking.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2019 at 7:55pm
Those members can swear all they want about the magical properties of a fish scaled blade. Until they provide some form of evidence then it's all hearsay and anecdotal experience. It is this kind of gullibility that leads to beliefs such as the magical medical properties of Rhino Horm or some such, which lead to the slaughter of such animals, plus other sylly superstitions.
And you can rationalize all you want about putting a premium on fishscaled blades all you want. It does remind me of that saying"a fool and his money are soon departed".

FdT
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Alisha_Hooksit Alisha_Hooksit wrote:

Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Don't believe the hype.

FdT

And I agree once again, the performance aspect is hype, but the point of my first reply was to illuminate how the hype originated

Yep and I find it useful, thanks
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2019 at 12:12am
It's just aesthetics. That figuring in Koto is common. Most all the Koto veneer I have has some type of scale. 
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2019 at 11:24am
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

It's just aesthetics. That figuring in Koto is common. Most all the Koto veneer I have has some type of scale. 

I've been told that the regular cut is the one that leaves the almond shell pocks. The cross cut look is called "rayed" 
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisha_Hooksit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2019 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I've been told that the regular cut is the one that leaves the almond shell pocks. The cross cut look is called "rayed" 
Would you and/or anyone else know whether the almond shell-pocked/fishscale effect is unique only to Koto wood? Based on my various blades over the years (Koto, Limba, Hinoki), I've only had Fishscale on 2 of 3 Koto blades but never on any of the assorted Limba or Hinoki,  so would seem specific to Koto from my small sample of 15 or more blades.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2019 at 8:15pm
Here's a Kiso Hinoki ds90 with fishscale. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisha_Hooksit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2019 at 10:11pm
Oh my that is really beautiful, Thanks for sharing that! And now that rubber with some different colors will be allowed soon, perhaps some wise marketer could make some sheets in Natural Clear, so everyone could see the pattern and proudly display their mystical wood grains, would be like having the cake while eating it too!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2019 at 2:47am

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Would you and/or anyone else know whether the almond shell-pocked/fishscale effect is unique only to Koto wood? Based on my various blades over the years (Koto, Limba, Hinoki), I've only had Fishscale on 2 of 3 Koto blades but never on any of the assorted Limba or Hinoki,  so would seem specific to Koto from my small sample of 15 or more blades.

It seems to happen with ayous. I think the spintech custom blade I have is cross cut limba.

Nobody cuts hinoki bit one way.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2019 at 11:18am

Oh my that is really beautiful, Thanks for sharing that! And now that rubber with some different colors will be allowed soon, perhaps some wise marketer could make some sheets in Natural Clear, so everyone could see the pattern and proudly display their mystical wood grains, would be like having the cake while eating it too!
And it plays as well as it looks...like a dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic