Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Par Gerell Serving Masterclass on TTD Academy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Par Gerell Serving Masterclass on TTD Academy
    Posted: 05/29/2019 at 3:47pm
Hey guys.
Just wanted to share a new video on TTD Academy where Pros are teaching showing how to improve. In the first video it is the Swedish player Player Par Gerell showing his famous kicker/shovel serve which causes trouble for a lot of player e.g. Liu Guoliang.

INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE:

- The unique service grip to serve like Par Gerell

- Mastering the action to the serve

- How to do the topspin serve with Par Gerell

- How to produce a heavy backspin serve with Par Gerell

- How to make your serves deceptive with Par Gerell

- How to do the Kicker serve with Par Gerell

- How to take advantage of a good serve/weak return

- Effective Serve training with Par Gerell

- 6 week serve programme with Par Gerell

Here is an old video of Dan vs. Par in a game of receiving serves

Sponsored Links

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2019 at 4:59pm
It looks to me as if 9/10 of the serves in the video are illegal. He doesn't toss the ball straight up and down. In addition, I watched the video in slow motion frame by frame. 9/10 of the serves are hiding the contact because its behind his arm and body. It's too illegal. No wonder Dan couldn't return the serves. It looks like the ball is shooting out from the side of his body and armpit. I cant even see the paddle when he makes contact. Here it is, frozen in time. Do you see the paddle? I don't. Maximum cheating level 9000. You can barely see the ball there as its falling behind his nose and travelling sideways into his hidden paddle. 

Edited by ericd937 - 05/29/2019 at 5:17pm
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2019 at 5:49pm
And another one. LOL Hes also tossing the ball with a closed fist rather than a flat hand. The one is particularly bad, we can't see the ball or paddle at all on contact. It should be noted that the camera has a wider viewing angle than Dan. The view for Dan would even be more obstructed than the cameras view. 

Edited by ericd937 - 05/29/2019 at 5:51pm
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2019 at 5:58pm
https://youtu.be/A0GGQjiylqg?t=38

Watch at that time stamp 
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2019 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

And another one. LOL Hes also tossing the ball with a closed fist rather than a flat hand. The one is particularly bad, we can't see the ball or paddle at all on contact. It should be noted that the camera has a wider viewing angle than Dan. The view for Dan would even be more obstructed than the cameras view. 

That's Dan's fault - he just has to stand 5 feet more to the right and play left-handed. Generally speaking, isn't it the receivers' responsibility to stand somewhere where they can see the ball? Wink

Should be a great Cheating Serving Masterclass though.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2019 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

https://youtu.be/A0GGQjiylqg?t=38

Watch at that time stamp 

Koki Niwa's serves look much more legal in my opinion than Par Gerell's serves here in this video. Koki Niwa is serving mostly with a flat palm, the tossing arm is removed before the contact, and the body is not in front of the ball. 
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2019 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

That's Dan's fault - he just has to stand 5 feet more to the right and play left-handed. Generally speaking, isn't it the receivers' responsibility to stand somewhere where they can see the ball? Wink

Should be a great Cheating Serving Masterclass though.

I guess Dan could stand on the other side of the table behind Mr. Gerrel. lol He could finally see the contact. 
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2019 at 8:57pm
I was very excited when Dan offered a pro-level serving video, but I am so conflicted about it being run by PG. On the one hand, there is no doubt that PG was/is an outstanding server. But, on the other, it feels like many of his serves are illegal. Is it worth learning this way? Has anyone here paid for the course and is willing to give an opinion?
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2019 at 10:17pm
Why would anyone pay for any materials is beyond me. There's literally nothing you cannot find that's already available for free on YouTube. The only thing you should be paying is 1on1 coaching in real life.

Also, when you learn how to serve, you don't learn how to exactly serve like that person. You learn how to feel and brush the ball. You refine that feeling of serving and apply towards your serves. Everyone has their way of serving and you need to find that yourself. 

Edited by vik2000 - 05/31/2019 at 10:19pm
Slowhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2019 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

Why would anyone pay for any materials is beyond me. There's literally nothing you cannot find that's already available for free on YouTube.
Well this isn't available free on Youtube. If you're interested in a crystal clear explanation of PG's hook serve variations, or if you're not sure how to go about developing a high quality serve on your own, then I can recommend the course. It's really well done.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2019 at 11:53pm
I am a TTEdge member and  I believe TTEdge is worth paying for and is worth at least as much as direct coaching to an intelligent adult.

I have perused the Par Gerrell serve course and while I could do the serve before viewing the content,  I think the course is consistent with what I know about high level serve development and I recommendi it to people especially if they are not TTEdge members (where Brett has covered similar material in a different way).

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2019 at 3:02am
i am a swede and have trained serve a bit with Gerell and i like him. Nice Guy! 

But i think he his hiding the serve and throwing the ball back. Some people Will get faulted doing this. 

Regarding online courses like this i think the money is much more well worth spending if you Do some private lessons either with a coach or if you ask a much better player. Just make sure they know their stuff. I think there are plenty of coaches and players that would help you for some money. Just need to look around and ask nicely. Learning stuff on a video i think is very difficult. 
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2019 at 10:25am
I suppose I will consider myself lucky I understand Japanese. There are just countless TT tutorial videos from various channels out there. I honestly can't imagine what more one needs. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2019 at 10:38am

I suppose I will consider myself lucky I understand Japanese. There are just countless TT tutorial videos from various channels out there. I honestly can't imagine what more one needs. 

Probably the same if you speak Russian or Chinese.  But I also know that even high level tutorials can be confusing.  That said, it is rare to get good serve instruction in any language in a way that addresses common mistakes and takes you through the whole process of developing a high level serve.  Just for that by itself and given how it resonates with my experiences learning the jab/punch serve, I would recommend the Par Gerrell course.
Cybershape Carbon
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2019 at 10:56am
[QUOTE=vik2000] Why would anyone pay for any materials is beyond me. There's literally nothing you cannot find that's already available for free on YouTube. The only thing you should be paying is 1on1 coaching in real life.

Thanks for answering a question I didn't ask.
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2019 at 10:58am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Probably the same if you speak Russian or Chinese.  But I also know that even high level tutorials can be confusing.  That said, it is rare to get good serve instruction in any language in a way that addresses common mistakes and takes you through the whole process of developing a high level serve.  Just for that by itself and given how it resonates with my experiences learning the jab/punch serve, I would recommend the Par Gerrell course.

Thanks for these helpful replies. Much appreciated
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2019 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

Thanks for these helpful replies. Much appreciated

You're welcome.  Serving development is a lot of hard work and requires a lot of hours. But people underestimate the level of ignorance about good serving out there. This course doesn't solve everything but I think it brings some things that an amateur should know and that some people assume an amateur knows into focus.  There are very few legal serves of any kind out there.  But this course gives you a template for understanding every aspect of serving. You can approach any serve the same way.

Edited by NextLevel - 06/01/2019 at 11:10am
Cybershape Carbon
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2019 at 11:29am
illegal serving masterclass. LOL
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2019 at 5:52pm
All serves are basically illegal nowadays.    But you can serve most serves with a vertical toss if you start the ball over the right hip.
Cybershape Carbon
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2019 at 8:18pm

All serves are basically illegal nowadays.    But you can serve most serves with a vertical toss if you start the ball over the right hip.

Most serves are at least bordering on illegal, but I would say the serves here are blatant attempts at cheating. I mean damn, his back is to the receiver and the ball is shooting out of his armpit. Come on man, that is ridiculous. If a player tried to serve like this when I was playing, I would just catch the ball and toss it back to him over and over. If it was at a tournament, I would immediately get an umpire to come to the table. This is deliberate cheating man. Very bad. I mean, even look at his toss. He is cupping the ball and spinning it on the toss. He doesn't even present the ball properly. Not even one time the whole video. 

Edited by ericd937 - 06/01/2019 at 8:19pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2019 at 9:42pm

Most serves are at least bordering on illegal, but I would say the serves here are blatant attempts at cheating. I mean damn, his back is to the receiver and the ball is shooting out of his armpit. Come on man, that is ridiculous. If a player tried to serve like this when I was playing, I would just catch the ball and toss it back to him over and over. If it was at a tournament, I would immediately get an umpire to come to the table. This is deliberate cheating man. Very bad. I mean, even look at his toss. He is cupping the ball and spinning it on the toss. He doesn't even present the ball properly. Not even one time the whole video. 

In the course, he is teaching Dan and Tom who run TTD coaching the serves.  It will be amusing if they are learning and selling illegal serves because they aren't.  So please let's stop using what Par did above as the standard for his serves.

I don't perceive Gerrell to be doing anything special for the most part these days and even my coach said that Par Gerrell's serves nowadays are much cleaner than they used to be (he has more verticality, if you stand in the middle of the table, the contact is visible etc.)  Most people would have legality issues serving to a lefty but they think what Par Gerrell does is special because he is a lefty.

But if your serves are so clean that they are beyond reproach please feel free to share.  I got a lot of bugs and hitches in my serves over time that were completely unconscious.  I resolve some of them sometimes but who knows what happens under pressure in a match?

Edited by NextLevel - 06/01/2019 at 9:43pm
Cybershape Carbon
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2019 at 12:48am
I'm not saying my serves 100% prefect legal every single time, but i 100% don't turn my back to the table with ball shooting out of my armpit. I at least make an honest attempt to follow the rules by presenting the ball and tossing the ball with a flat palm. I also make a conscious effort to keep my arm and body from blocking the view of paddle and ball during the contact. Whomever posted the original post probably should have linked a different video rather than the one they chose for the post. 

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2019 at 1:50am
Back to point:

Hidden serves aside, PG is still a great server - his serves are insanely spinny. To do that requires technique. I have been through the series. His general serving tips are worth it - you can serve very effective, legal hook serves with them if you want (& that's the point). I could use some of those tips even in serves other than hook serves.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic