Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Equipment advice needed after 12 year hiatus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Equipment advice needed after 12 year hiatus
    Posted: 06/10/2019 at 1:42am
Hey all,

I was a very active TT player years ago (back in the speed glue days) and am just getting back into TT. I need some new equipment but am a bit lost with all the changes over the past few years.

When I was last playing this was my equipment:
Blade: donic waldner senso carbon
FH: Stiga Mendo MP (with speed glue)
BH: butterfly driver EL

My style was serve and third ball attack with a powerful forehand.

I tend to enjoy a medium speed blade with good touch and a medium-hard to hardish rubber on the forehand for powerful loops and a medium soft on the backhand for control.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra 3D

FH: Mendo MP

BH: Sriver EL
Sponsored Links

chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2019 at 2:08am
The world has changed many times since you stopped playing! The ball has changed from D38 to D40, then plastic D40 and now is ABS D40+.

Speed glue has been banned hence third ball attack is less successive as before.

The standard setup nowadays is ALC/ZLC blade + bios sponge, natural rubber topsheet (such as Tenergies or the likes)

It doesn't mean you have to get TB ALC or ZLC with extremely expensive pair of Tenergy. Get some ALC blade from Yinhe or 729 to combine with cheap bios sponge from Donic (Acuda, Baracuda) or Andro (Hexer, Rasant).

There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2019 at 3:31am
Buy the standard combi that all other bats are compared to - Butterfly Viscaria with Tenergy 05 on both sides. Stick with it for at least 6 months before considering anything else
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2019 at 7:48am
Thanks for the advice!
I've always found Butterfly products to be good but possibly a bit overpriced (in any case, outside of my range...).

I've read that Xiom rubbers come pretty close to the playability of Tenergy, would any of you agree? 

I was considering a Vega pro on the forehand and a Vega  the Europe on backkhand. 

Blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra 3D

FH: Mendo MP

BH: Sriver EL
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Pip Master Pip Master wrote:

Thanks for the advice!
I've always found Butterfly products to be good but possibly a bit overpriced (in any case, outside of my range...).

I've read that Xiom rubbers come pretty close to the playability of Tenergy, would any of you agree? 

I was considering a Vega pro on the forehand and a Vega  the Europe on backkhand. 

Use the same blade you used back then.  Use Fastarc G1 or C1 or Xiom Vega Pro.  If those are too slow then you can look at upgrading.  But you don't need to believe you need to change equipment.  Everyone will approach the change differently.  Stiffer composite blades require getting used to and shouldn't be your first stop if you never used them.

Edited by NextLevel - 06/10/2019 at 11:31am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2019 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

The donic waldner senso carbon is still very good, some people will say that with the new ball it is more all+ than the original off-/off it used to be in the celluloid 38mm era but I call bs on that. It is still a fine carbon blade that is highly controllable, probably the best composite blade for somebody coming back to the game and finding a heavier, bigger ball.
Rubber wise, vega pro, fastarc g-1 and rasanter r47 are your best bets on both fh and bh. Your idea of vega europe on the bh is good intuition though, maybe vega japan is even better? a German player better than me with a wonderful timo boll style spinny bh switched to Vega Japan from Tenergy 64 and found that it was very close to being the same rubber, he did not have to adapt.

I've tried several different Waldner Senso Carbons myself. I had some friends who had them back in Florida and I even owned one myself. The speed of that blade varies quite a bit. The one I had was a total brick and quite slow, one of my friends had one that played like a dream, and I tried a few others which fell somewhere between the really good blade of my friend and the really bad blade I owned. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic