Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to step up the training for Nationals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time to step up the training for Nationals
    Posted: 06/12/2019 at 6:27pm
US Nationals is just around the corner so it's time to step up the training (and the diet). I got a former CNT to feed me multi-ball. My goal was to last 1 minute. Is this too fast?

An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Sponsored Links

vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2019 at 8:04pm
It was like watching you play hack a mole.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2019 at 8:06pm
You could have hit a higher percentage if you had a paddle in your left hand, too.  Too many balls slipped by that side when you got tired.Tongue
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2019 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

It was like watching you play hack a mole.
Whack a mole is a great analogy!

Edited by heavyspin - 06/12/2019 at 9:19pm
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2019 at 6:39pm
Impressive! What would fatt say if he hadn't left this forum?
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2019 at 6:56pm
what club is this, looks pretty nice
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2019 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by aerial aerial wrote:

what club is this, looks pretty nice
Massachusetts Table Tennis and Badminton Club. Not ideal for challenging different opponents in a night, but the facility is nice.
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 3:07am
i Do not think you should try to hit the ball when it comes so fast. Just fluke if you hit it. Better option to block and if the ball comes slower you can attack it. 
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Lula Lula wrote:

i Do not think you should try to hit the ball when it comes so fast. Just fluke if you hit it. Better option to block and if the ball comes slower you can attack it. 
I also do a slower feed to reinforce my stroke mechanics. I do the fast feed at the end of the training just to test my fitness. I though it was too fast and wanted to see if others agree. Here's a slower feed with backspin.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Originally posted by Lula Lula wrote:

I also do a slower feed to reinforce my stroke mechanics. I do the fast feed at the end of the training just to test my fitness. I though it was too fast and wanted to see if others agree. Here's a slower feed with backspin.

I didn't think your original video was too fast. It depends what you're training for.  When I'm fed really fast multiball like that, it's to work on reaction time and stroke recovery.  It doesn't really matter much whether the ball lands on the table, although you should get your paddle on the ball and not your free handWink.

Your second video isn't the same kind of thing because the feed is at a pace where 95% of your balls land on the table. So she's not really pushing you for speed.

In your case, of course, fitness is another consideration that I don't thing is applied to the usual purpose of speed feeding multiball.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Impressive! What would fatt say if he hadn't left this forum?
I am so glad that underachieved emotional person who thinks everybody likes him is gone for good. Frankly I don't miss him.

The 1st video was designed to achieve humor which it did successfully and the heavyspin approved whack-a-mole analogy was indeed very funny. It was heavyspin at his best, to be put in the same basket than the Ma Lin serve training (with the standing coach and all LOL, I imagine heavyspin asking his buddy to stand right there for a while lol, that's my absolute favorite ever, I see it at the same level than Adam's celebration dancing video.)

The 2nd video shows heavyspin's higher 2400 minus level back in the days, the timing of his contact is so precise, the elbow close to the body with a quick forearm snap in the fh offers maximum spin and control while I can only dream of such a solid bh which is the highlight of the video imo: ideal amount of speed and spin, or perfect balance between the 2 is how i describe it, it's one of those bh that is "resolved", it seems so natural it has a life of its own, so little energy is thrown into it to achieve speed and spin that average players same level would reach by investing much more forces into the stroke. "No waste" is written all over this bh.

Above all what I like in both strokes is the emphasis of speed over spin, I always think spin should cave to speed and spin should borrow from speed just to land on the table but that's personal and so many people disagree so I won't rub it in.

Thanks for sharing, it's always a pleasure to watch those videos from both entertainment and technique perspectives.

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 1:46pm
I suggest adding some shadow buffet dining to your training.  That way you keep the weight down before the tournament.  But after your last match you can attack the buffet with your technique still sharply honed.

Mark
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 4:08pm
In the first video i think you should only block. It is not natural to try to hit the ball at that tempo. I agree with another guy here that it is good to train up the tempo that way, but in a match situation i think you take the wrong descion if you try to hit the ball instead of block if the ball comes that fast and hard. 

In the second video i think your motion with the arm is good, but you really need to try to use the body a bit more to get consistency and more power. Especially against backspin, it is not enough power to just use the arm to get a good opening loop. 
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 4:14pm
you could be a good short pimple both sides player.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 8:24pm
Heavyspin would be such a better and formidable player if he  became lightspin, those reactions and concentration of power is insane! Tongue
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic