Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 5 ply allwood blade for 5th ball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
max vdh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max vdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 5 ply allwood blade for 5th ball
    Posted: 06/16/2019 at 5:29am
Hi,

I was wondering of all the 5 ply allwood blades : yaska ma lin extra offensive, nittaku violin, xiom offensive S, stiga infinity VPS, Tibhar stratus power wood, pter korbel, etc...

Which is the best for 5th ball finish or for open rally/topspin on topspin/topspin on blocks?

Currently I have no issues with 3rd ball loop on underspin but I find myself having trouble when the ball actually comes back when I'm playing higher ranked player. I use a huge swing on 3rd ball but I have a big recovery time following that and can't always replace well before hitting the 5th ball so I was wondering which of these blades was the most forgiving on finishers.

Sponsored Links

Ingo_Ger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo_Ger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2019 at 8:49am
Best blade by far for your problem: Proper training with a good coach
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2019 at 8:56am
Proper training is what you need... If equipment can fix your problem we will all be high level players...
But if anything perhaps a carbon blade or something that is really fast so that you can finish the point on your third ball so you don't need to worry about the fifth ball. But then again this will definitely affect your short game in a negative way. 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2019 at 9:10am
You answer you own question. You overswing on the 3rd ball. Shorten your stroke and you will magically have a good blade.
max vdh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max vdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2019 at 11:47am
while you are all correct about training, I'm playing at a little local club and although I've been improving a lot (gained 300 points in a season) I only have one training session per week so of course it's a technique issue. But I'd like to compensate those issues on the short term while I'll learn better technique and game sense on the long term.
What I'm asking is if there is a more stable bat than my violin that I could use for power drives/loops while still being able to play loops from close to the table. I'm currently hesitating between going for the stratus power wood or upgrading to a slow 7 ply like clipper.

Thanks in advance for answering.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2019 at 1:52pm
I actually think that if you aim to be a third or fifth ball player then violin is too slow, especially with the lager plastic ball. Because what will happen is that you will swing big trying to get more speed for the kill shot but that severely hurts your recovery and is actually an injury risk. Plus with the bigger swing your contact accuracy will go down so I would suggest you go to a 7ply or like a blade with inner carbon! 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2019 at 3:12pm
I'm using Violoncello, 81 grams, and I think is too fast. Smile
Even though is presented as defensive blade in Nittaku's catalog it's not, is just an oversized Violin.
You have a few options:
- like others wrote you can work on using short strokes instead of large swings, I over swing myself and started to have shoulder pain, I'm trying to change to short moves and you use the body more
- use better placement
- before changing the blade you can try faster rubbers
- you can't always hit a 3rd winner ball, wait until you a have a good position
- if you really want a faster blade you can try Violin inner or Violin outer carbon, but I doubt it'll solve your issue

I think Violoncello is one of the best blades I've tried, except for the short and thin handle. I wouldn't switch from Violin if I were you. If money is not an issue buy or borrow a faster blade and see if you're issue is resolved.

IMO the 5 ply wood blades are still a valid option.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2019 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by max vdh max vdh wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering of all the 5 ply allwood blades : yaska ma lin extra offensive, nittaku violin, xiom offensive S, stiga infinity VPS, Tibhar stratus power wood, pter korbel, etc...

Which is the best for 5th ball finish or for open rally/topspin on topspin/topspin on blocks?

Currently I have no issues with 3rd ball loop on underspin but I find myself having trouble when the ball actually comes back when I'm playing higher ranked player. I use a huge swing on 3rd ball but I have a big recovery time following that and can't always replace well before hitting the 5th ball so I was wondering which of these blades was the most forgiving on finishers.

You can really only know by trying.  Asking people to recommend blades is like playing the lottery.  It is usually better to borrow the blades of people in your club and test your ideas.  If you need a specific opinion or comparison of two blades, that is a better question, but you can only get lucky if someone truly familiar with both blades and of an appropriate playing level answers your question.

The problem is more likely you don't use the body appropriately.  But if you want to try a Stratus Powerwood, that is a good blade, a little head heavy.  But whether it is fast enough to solve your problem I am not sure.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 6:49am
Ma Lin Extra Offensive (Japan) 
Stratus Powerwood
Infinity VPS V

the 3 above blades are excellent. 

Edited by Stavros - 06/17/2019 at 6:50am
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 9:07am
Originally posted by max vdh max vdh wrote:

Hi,

If huge swing is coming back then you know... your best bet is not a speed, but spin and placement.

You need placement to stretch opponent (ideally back and forth as opposed to left and right), once done speed is not that important, 60% of your power is enough for a winner point.

You need spin for either - A) enforce higher bounce off his racket or B) have a kick effect on the bounce off the table.

By now you probably have realised that you are looking for OFF- to OFF flexible blade. If your brushing is not too good then - get yourself soft top ply = limba (alternatively it may be med hard but multi-geared = hinoki)

Multigeared - soft touch - ball is slow, powerful hit ball gets "catapult" from wood.

Hope that helps.

729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 9:45am
This is hilarious! Everybody knows that all mentioned blades are recommended for the 3rd ball rather than 5th ball attack.
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 10:04am
Best blade for 5th ball? The f*ck? Please be trolling. 
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 10:54am
The best 5 ply blade I've ever used was Xiom Aria. It's out of production, but you can still find em on eBay and such. FYI, Aria Light sucks. Don't even think about trying that one. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 11:14am
I do think Rokphish has a blade that is just soooo schaweeeet for dat 5th ball.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 5:32am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

The best 5 ply blade I've ever used was Xiom Aria. It's out of production, but you can still find em on eBay and such. FYI, Aria Light sucks. Don't even think about trying that one. 
Stopped by Paddlepalace and saw FL handle Aria now for $40 clearance, would have got one if they still had ST. 
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 8:05am
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Stopped by Paddlepalace and saw FL handle Aria now for $40 clearance, would have got one if they still had ST. 

Wow, thanks for letting us know. I sold the one I had years ago to a friend who really wanted it. I've been thinking about getting another one for awhile now and that is a really good price. I also prefer the ST handle, but those older Xiom blades have fairly wide FL handles. I can live with FL on that blade. I just sent them an email. If they have my weight, I'm ordering one. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 8:38am
I was going to say you need some training bla bla but  Spinlord rd2 is my current wood and it really helps with that problem. 
It's thick and bouncy for a 5 ply allwood blade. And it really helps. I can loop on and on with out going off balance. 
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Slowhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 9:43am
Nittaku Acoustic, OSP Virtuoso+, BBC Hinoki Ghost.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic