FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The poor man's Flakenberg drill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The poor man's Flakenberg drill
    Posted: 06/17/2019 at 12:49pm
I recommend this for players with limited stamina and/or mobility. It can be viewed as Falkenberg replacing the wide forehand ball with a backhand on the bh side. It can also be viewed as 2 bh's, 1 fh from one spot. The Falkenberg drill is great if you can do it, but I don't even try since I believe in maintaining long rallies when doing drill work. As simple as this drill is, it still requires active feet.

I'm fortunate to have a quality partner in this video so I can put a little more spin and pace. When drilling and both are hitting, I always try to hit a ball my partner can handle. I also want to feel confident during the drill that at any moment I can increase the power or suddenly change placement if I were in a real match (while hitting to the designed spot with consistent speed and spin).

An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Sponsored Links

wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 1:02pm
I think working up to the Flakenberg drill is probably the only way adult learners can do it (or something close to it)

Looks pretty good to me.

Now add the ball to the middle!
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 5:01pm
Do you play a lot of forehand from the backhand side during matches?

For players that have a strong backhand and limited mobility, I normally recommend backhand-middle-backhand-forehand instead. No sense investing in a footwork pattern that you will not use in a match.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 6:28pm
I did a 5 day clinic that was built around the 2Bh 1Fh drill.  First day we did 2Bh 1Fh (ball to elbow so it was not a pivot around  Bh corner shot).  Next day it was 2Bh 1Fh (ball to middle of Fh court so you did have to move slightly to Fh side before playing shot).  Next day was alternating the 2 above combinations. The next day was randomly alternating the combinations.  The last day was alternating randomly, but the person being drilled had the option to switch his Fh to the blockers Fh (instead of the normal return to the blockers Bh).  Once the switch was made you played out the point.  Of course we did other things each day like serve and receive, but the topspin stroking was done primarily in the 2Bh 1Fh drill.  I thought it was a great training system as you clearly understood how you were building up you technique to a more complicated (more game like) situation.

Mark

heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

Do you play a lot of forehand from the backhand side during matches?

For players that have a strong backhand and limited mobility, I normally recommend backhand-middle-backhand-forehand instead. No sense investing in a footwork pattern that you will not use in a match.
You make a good point and I had considered that. I do play forehand from the backhand side, but not as much as I used to.
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 8:59pm
My only issue is that your forehand isn't really a forehand, is it?  It's just a bump off your hip.  There's no real effort to play a forehand loop. You contact the ball behind you with no hip rotation and no arm extension, which leaves me wondering what it is you're practising here.  Is this just an exercise to help you move your feet?  Or an exercise to help you deal with balls played at your hip?
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

My only issue is that your forehand isn't really a forehand, is it?  It's just a bump off your hip.  There's no real effort to play a forehand loop. You contact the ball behind you with no hip rotation and no arm extension, which leaves me wondering what it is you're practising here.  Is this just an exercise to help you move your feet?  Or an exercise to help you deal with balls played at your hip?

It's just the way he plays.
You should watch a couple of his matches...
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 1:36am
My coach always does backhand, middle, backhand, forehand (like alphapong mentioned) followed by forehand, middle, forehand, backhand in the regular multiball sessions.

I also like the backhand, pivot forehand, middle drill (like wilkinru mentioned, adding in the middle).

@Tassie52 I think it's just the way he plays now because of his weight. If you saw the video he posted awhile back when he was much younger, maybe you'd be surprised at how well he was using his body in every shot. I was extremely impressed by it. That said, even the balls he's hitting now still look full of quality to me.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 2:08am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

That said, even the balls he's hitting now still look full of quality to me.

That's right. You can tell by the sound when he hits the ball on the forehand side. It probably has a lot more spin on it than it appears by watching the video. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 8:32am
For a really large guy your shot quality is really solid and movement is pretty good. 

Kudos for putting in the time drilling. Clap

Cheers

GZ

Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 4:49pm
I find this drill a bit unnatural. I think your bh is better than your forehand so do not understand why you would play forehand from the backhand corner. And like you say, you are proably not fast enough to recover if the ball comes in the forehand corner, so i do not know if you would do this in a match situation? no need to practice stuff you do not use in a match. 

Also feel that if your forehand is the strongest, maybe it is more wise to do like the chinese did before when they played more forehand. To go around and play forehand and then stay there to play more forehand. I find it very odd to go around to play one forehand and then go back and play backhand again if forehand is your strongest shot. I feel like you do not really keep up the pressure agains your opponent if you do that. 
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 5:14pm
@HS - your Flakenberg drill is richer than mine.  For my drill, I have coach block to my BH twice, and once to my FH (just a bit over the middle), so very little movement requires on my feet (just half a step), and the drill is basically to get comfortable with changing from BH to FH, and back to BH, with twice on the BH to reset the timing Smile.
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 5:21pm
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2019 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

Ouch 
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2019 at 2:52pm
Good touch and timing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic