Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Dhs hurricane 3 Orange vs blue sponge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
guni4you View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guni4you Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dhs hurricane 3 Orange vs blue sponge
    Posted: 07/18/2019 at 12:31am
Hi,

What is the difference between Dhs hurricane 3 orange vs blue sponge. I heard that blue sponge is harder so it is tough to produce the power. Is it easier to play with orange sponge?Moreover, i have seen that most of the top chinese based players in the USA use orange sponge instead of blue.Why is that? Would love to hear your views.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 12:49am
Blue Sponge is not harder, it has a slightly different feel.
Compared to the orange sponge, the blue sponge holds the ball a fraction more so you have more dwell time and more control. The blue sponge is also a bit lighter for the same hardness and boosts a little aster compared to orange (absorbs oil faster).
Most non-sponsored players would use Orange sponge as it is cheaper. Orange provincial would cost around 170 yuan while Blue around 240. After 2 boosting cycles both are gone. If you play at a high level and train everyday, you need to boost once every week, so the difference is close to 300 yuan a month, which is the cost of another rubber.
Also blue sponge is more difficult to buy outside mainland China and the cost difference outside China is significantly higher between orange and blue sponge.

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 07/18/2019 at 12:50am
guni4you View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guni4you Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 1:39am
Thanks a lot Ashish.
yuri.saldon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yuri.saldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 10:38am
I think Ashish money explanation is correct but hurricane blue sponge is a lot harder.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 10:46am
BS is more elastic at equal hardness, thus better feel for 40 deg and above.
39 and below no advantage for either imo.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 1:10pm
Blue sponge faster then orange
guni4you View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guni4you Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 3:49pm
For example will a 40 degree hardness orange sponge feel softer and easier to loop than a 40 degree hardness blue sponge? I mean will 40 degree blue sponge need more technical ability than 40 degree orange sponge?
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

Blue Sponge is not harder, it has a slightly different feel.
Compared to the orange sponge, the blue sponge holds the ball a fraction more so you have more dwell time and more control. The blue sponge is also a bit lighter for the same hardness and boosts a little aster compared to orange (absorbs oil faster).
Most non-sponsored players would use Orange sponge as it is cheaper. Orange provincial would cost around 170 yuan while Blue around 240. After 2 boosting cycles both are gone. If you play at a high level and train everyday, you need to boost once every week, so the difference is close to 300 yuan a month, which is the cost of another rubber.
Also blue sponge is more difficult to buy outside mainland China and the cost difference outside China is significantly higher between orange and blue sponge.

Absolutely correct

Edited by MLfan - 07/18/2019 at 11:03pm
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by guni4you guni4you wrote:

For example will a 40 degree hardness orange sponge feel softer and easier to loop than a 40 degree hardness blue sponge? I mean will 40 degree blue sponge need more technical ability than 40 degree orange sponge?

yup, blue sponge requires more technical ability, including explosiveness, bc the longer dwell time = you need to use more of your own power. 
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 10:20am
also BS = lower throw
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 7:08pm
if you tune orange sponge and blue sponge with the same tuner the blue sponge will soften a bit more then the orange sponge even if the blue sponge untuned was harder...that is my experience
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
ChrisPhung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisPhung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 7:58am
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 8:30am
Originally posted by ChrisPhung ChrisPhung wrote:

this is from DHS themselves

From the above link:

Difference between blue and orange sponge rubbers:

On the basis of same strength, the catapult depth of blue sponge is thicker than orange sponge. However, the Nd tenacity of orange sponge is greater than blue one. That means the orange sponge rubber is more natural and easier to create trajectory. While the blue sponge rubber leaves with more time to adjust but requires player to have a bigger strength to sustain the catapult. Unless the player can maintain the strength during the complete process of catapult, his/her hit is not stable with blue sponge rubber. Especially for underspin loop drive, the player can feel less heavier by using orange sponge rubber than blue sponge one.

So in addition to "dwell time" and "throw angle", we have new nebulous terms - "catapult depth" and  "tenacity" ...

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 11:35am
"That means the orange sponge rubber is more natural and easier to create trajectory. "
What does that mean?  higher or longer throw?
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 12:01pm
No idea. At this point I am beginning to suspect that all this orange/blue sponge, commercial/provincial/national stuff is nothing but elaborate psychological warfare designed to confuse gullible foreigners :-)  
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 12:11pm
nah, it's accurate but quite abstract and clearly the wording isn't perfect.

like I said BS = lower throw and it needs more sponge penetration.
with OS, a brush loop with less sponge involvement has more spin, arc and control.
unless you can hit a flat fast spinny loop consistently, BS has no advantage.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 12:27pm
I have tried several versions of Hurricane 3. I started with the commercial version. Orange sponge. I thought it was horrible. Like many of others said, it felt like a brick. Then a friend let me use his National Blue Sponge version of H3. The difference was like night and day. Yes my friend did probably boost his. I subsequently adopted H3 BS. I did use a couple of layers of boosting oil at first. Then after a year, I went to 1 layer. I decided later not to bother boosting at all. I simply let the sponge soften as I use it. Takes about 2 weeks for it to start getting softer. After 6 months it is amazing! Nat BS usually lasts me about a year. Sometimes more.

FdT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic