Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - List of banned rubbers due to 2colour rule of 1983
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

List of banned rubbers due to 2colour rule of 1983

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DavenKrugz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavenKrugz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List of banned rubbers due to 2colour rule of 1983
    Posted: 08/10/2019 at 7:40pm
Can you all please kindly list the brand, color & type (such as reversed,anti, SP,MP,LP) of rubbers that became banned due to the 2 color rule of 1983 (because they were available in only colours other than black or red).

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2019 at 8:54pm
Rubber didn’t get banned because they were only available in one color.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
DavenKrugz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavenKrugz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2019 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Rubber didn’t get banned because they were only available in one color.

Ok maybe I should have said "became illegal" and not "banned"
So if a rubber was only always manufactured in green , would it not become illegal ?

For example I thought Yasaka Tornado (orange) was one of them  but I may be wrong 
There may be few other rubbers
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2019 at 11:24am
correct.  Several decades ago rules were changed so that only red and black were allowed.  Green (Yasaka Cobra came in that color) and amber, etc. were no longer allowed sometime around 1980 give or take a few years.   Those same rubbers in red or black would be legal.  I can't remember if Cobra was made in those colors.  If so it would have been legal.

Edited by Baal - 08/11/2019 at 11:27am
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 3:02am
I've seen red and black Cobra on my friend's dad's racket in the late 80s
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 8:37am
I never saw cobra except red and later black.

Yasaka tornado was more gold. MarkV was blue. Sriver was green.

Lots of pips were weird colors. I remember playing someone with green long pips and having no idea why I was missing

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 8:40am
Friendship 729 ("the original Friendship").  Eggplant coloured, and one of the greats in the history of tacky.
AndiHL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiHL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 10:01am
Donic Slick CSS (available in blue)
Docnic TwinSlick (available in yellow/gold)

But both of these were also available in red/black

The blue CSS was the best rubber I played in that time. 
Neither the black nor the red one were as good as the blue one.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 12:36pm
It's amazing how much the dye color affects the rubber.  It's the reason I remember Tornado being discontinued, they couldn't make it play the same with red or black dye, and they weren't willing to sell it if it wasn't going to be the same rubber.  I wonder how much they will charge for Tenergy Gold?  Shocked
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 4:16am
Given that the dye affects the playing properties, it's really ridiculous that we can't use the same rubber in the same colour on both wings.

I grudgingly get the intention to discern which side is which when playing with two very different rubbers, but the collateral damage here is unacceptable to me.  "When using two different rubbers, the rubbers must be of distinctive colour", "when using two different rubbers, one must be black and the other brightly coloured" or "when using two different rubbers, one must be bright red and the other black".  How hard would that have been?

Edited by YoAss - 08/14/2019 at 4:18am
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 11:34am
Originally posted by YoAss YoAss wrote:

Given that the dye affects the playing properties, it's really ridiculous that we can't use the same rubber in the same colour on both wings.

I grudgingly get the intention to discern which side is which when playing with two very different rubbers, but the collateral damage here is unacceptable to me.  "When using two different rubbers, the rubbers must be of distinctive colour", "when using two different rubbers, one must be black and the other brightly coloured" or "when using two different rubbers, one must be bright red and the other black".  How hard would that have been?

OK, then do both sides have to be the same age? I can make anything an anti
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 12:24pm
In my memory, it seems the majority of rubbers that were in various colors back then also were available in either red or black. And most (I think) that weren't, were produced in red or black after the rule change. Of course there were likely some unique examples of ones that didn't - like Yasaka Tornado (as mentioned above), but honestly I can't think of any others.
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by YoAss YoAss wrote:

Get a completely worn out Mark V and a brand new one, and hey presto! John Hilton II

Edit: and only 12 hours after Cole_Ely! Let's go!

Edited by Olio - 08/14/2019 at 4:08pm
dina_arif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dina_arif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 11:15pm
It is amazing how countries would suggest rule proposals that would favor their team

In early 90s during their glory days, Sweden proposed that both sides of the rubbers should be of same brand , model , thickness etc.
But then in around 2012 or so when their top player was a frictionless pips type player ( I can't remember his name) , Sweden proposed that the Frictionless Pips ban be repealed Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic