Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Table tennis balls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table tennis balls
    Posted: 09/09/2019 at 12:39pm
Would like to see some short reviews of current table tennis balls. 

What is the official table tennis balls used in your recent tournaments
What is used in your club
What is the bad, average, good, and the best 
etc.

Thanks. 
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 3:41pm
You will find this to be a controversial topic and if the thread takes off you will get a variety of responses.  I very much prefer Nittakus (the one's made in Japan).  I think they are most even in quality and roundess with the nicest bounce.  Sadly they are by far the most expensive.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 3:55pm
I have played with about 20 different balls from various companies. Right now all teams in my club, except the first team, use the newest GEWO ball (3.gen). Our first team uses xushaofa balls. The gewo balls are very solid. They don’t break when hitting the edge of the racket and they are also consistent in roundness and bounce. The xushaofa balls on the other hand are quite different. Their feeling is closer to the celluloid balls. Although I must say that their quality varies quite a bit. Last season most balls were round, but this season we got a new batch and half of the balls aren’t round at all. Another disadvantage with these balls is that their break when their hit the edge of the racket. 

I don’t really care which balls I play with since I get exposed to a lot of different balls and thus am used to them. But for training I can recommend the GEWO 2* balls (newest gen.). They are much better than their predecessor. One of my training partners and I were really surprised by them, since they are just as good as their 3* version. 

If you want to know something about a different brand, feel free to ask. I have played with Joola, TSP, Butterfly, Stiga, Yinhe, DHS, Nitakku, Donic, and a few others.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 4:00pm
yes, many threads open on this topic.

personal fav: dhs d40+ (best consistency/durability per dollar)

tournaments i play use: gewo select pro 40+ (trash), bty a40+ (decent but not as good as d40+), bty s40+ (good but expensive), bty g40+ (expensive, also trash)

local club players use: nittaku aka np40+ (good but expensive, best quality/consistency), xushaofa 40+ (trash, inconsistent, weird bounce)

Edited by DreiZ - 09/09/2019 at 4:01pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 4:29pm
Just a FYI, Paddle Palace currently has the Nittaku 40+ premium ball on sale for 28.95 a dozen. Regular price is 33.95. Not sure how much longer the sale goes on for.
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

tournaments i play use: gewo select pro 40+ (trash), bty a40+ (decent but not as good as d40+), bty s40+ (good but expensive), bty g40+ (expensive, also trash)

local club players use: nittaku aka np40+ (good but expensive, best quality/consistency), xushaofa 40+ (trash, inconsistent, weird bounce)

why do you think that the gewo 40+ are trash? 
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 5:07pm
DHS D40+ are great - best value.
Nittaku J-tops break too easily imo for a training ball (unless I received a bad batch)
Neottec Neoplast Pro seem to be decent, but take a little less spin it seems. Excellent price.
Nittaku 3* premiums - excellent, but too expensive.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 5:28pm
I play only with DHS D40+ 3-star balls.
And every ball always loses the stamp before breaking. It lasts a very long time, I don´t change it for any other ball.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 5:43pm
gewo are ok and are most likely chinese rebrand anyway
they just have to be new and rough to play well
tables play more different than balls these days anyway

vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 6:11pm

You prob got a bad batch on XSF. They make solid balls.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 6:20pm
Nittaku Premium or Nexcel has the best quality Ball in terms of roundness and consistency from batch to batch, but they're crazy expensive and durability is short. Looks like these balls are programmed to last a limited number of hours. Every ball breaks in the same way on the seam after some hours of use 

D40+ plays really similar although some balls aren't round.  But they're still the best bang for you buck.  The way they break it's different from Nittaku. You can keep using them even when the stamp fades, but the bounces  changes dramatically from a brand new one. They're resistant to accidental edges, dents but one they've got lot of wear they'll probably come up with tiny cracks in the same way it happened to old celluloid 

Xushaofa are funny because of their unnatural higher bounce, but some of the are defective and if you accidentally hit with the edge, you'll break it for sure. However if you're lucky and you never hit with the edge, then it might be the most durable of all.
Butterfly G40+ are given from free in some sponsored clubs in Spain. That ball is by far the worst of all, just a load of crap. 

Btw, I can't explain why they have released so many versions of PB as 1st gen BTY PB ***, later G40, after S40, A40+.... In a period of 6 years. It's not serious at all for such a rich company as BTY.

Edited by jonyer1980 - 09/09/2019 at 6:31pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 7:12pm
We use double fish at both clubs where I play.  We are an EJ free club without any players over 2000.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

They seem to be inconsistent in terms of roundness and also crack easily compared to other brands. I wouldn’t personally spend my money on those balls.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

You prob got a bad batch on XSF. They make solid balls.

I bought 3 different boxes, 2 different batches I think, all 3 had about 6-8 balls out of 10 with soft spots (one box had all 10). If you held it to the light you could see each spot opposite of each other, so 6 spots total for each axis of the ball. I guess it’s the defect produced from making the balls seamless, or from compressing them when they haven’t cooled yet... I spoke with the store that sold me one of the boxes and they acknowledged they were defective from factory. 

First batches were decent but after my experience I stopped buying them, even when they are round they still produce a weird bounce to me.

This were the black labeled xsf, not red.

Edited by DreiZ - 09/09/2019 at 9:25pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 9:58pm
I agree that DHS D40+ is a really good ball for the money.  Double Fish also. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

gewo are ok and are most likely chinese rebrand anyway
they just have to be new and rough to play well
tables play more different than balls these days anyway

Joola Prime and Gewo Select Pro are very similar.  Not my favorite balls but I can play with them without complaints.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 11:54pm
The tournaments I play or am close enough to use Nittaku Premium, Joola Prime, XSF,  andGewo Select Pro 40+.  I was hoping there would be some convergence on the Joola Prime but we aren't there.

A ball I like which unfortunately no one uses at any tournament is the Stiga ball, which is I suspect is a DFish clone of some sort.  Very good ball.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 4:52am

Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

They seem to be inconsistent in terms of roundness and also crack easily compared to other brands. I wouldn’t personally spend my money on those balls.
Are you sure you’re talking about the 3rd gen. balls? They come in the golden box. Cause if you are talking about them, then there’s is no way that what you’re saying is true. Our club has played with them for one year now with seven teams using them in league play every week and they never cracked easily, in fact the amount of balls that broke was probably single digit if anything. And in terms of roundness they are better than a lot of other brands. I don’t get how you came to the conclusion. Normally I would understand that you a person might have gotten very unlucky with a batch of balls like XUSHAOFA. But since we are a fairly big club and used them over a longer period and don’t have any of these issues, I just can’t see your statement possibly being true. And we bought over 500+ of these balls.
Jackcerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackcerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 5:28am
in italy we use for national tournaments Stag abs. For other tournaments we use Dhs, Andro 3s, Joola Prime,Joola Flash and Xushaofa sport. For League Matches also Tibhar abs, Donic, Tsp.
Recently some clubs started using The newest red Xushaofa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic