Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handle designs, selection, optimization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SanKaram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanKaram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handle designs, selection, optimization
    Posted: 09/20/2019 at 4:57am
This is probably the most neglected and least understood aspect of a racket.

How do you really select what is the right handle for you ?

I hear straight is the best for a defender ?  Why ?

There seems to be only few choices nowadays......straight, flared, anatomic 

Yasaka used to make a conic handle

Also how do you customize the thickness of handle at various points using tape or whatever.   I feel difference in play of my forehand or backhand but really cannot pinpoint why 

Sponsored Links

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 9:27am
Originally posted by SanKaram SanKaram wrote:

How do you really select what is the right handle for you ?
By trying them.  

I hear straight is the best for a defender ?  Why ?
Many defenders like to twiddle their rackets. While you can twiddle any handle type, straight handles are probably the most natural type to twiddle.

There seems to be only few choices nowadays......straight, flared, anatomic

Yasaka used to make a conic handle
You can get a blade with any type of handle you desire, you just have to have it custom made for you.  For example, OSP Blades makes 6 types of handles. https://ospblades.com/

OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 9:40am
I've heard twiddlers claim they benefit from straight handles.

Try indeed, the rarer they come the harder that is, in practice.

Which is a shame indeed.  The Stiga of yore had that elliptical/conical handle too ("Kjell Johansson" signature blades), so no surprise that Palatinus still makes them that way.  When I took the leap and commissioned a custom blade, that's what I set out to recreate.  Best handle ever (for me, that is).  Still lovin' it.
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 9:48am
I like thick and long, without places where I don't contact the handle, I have big hands and when I switch FH and BH I noticed that my grip is changed and so is the bat angle. Usually my fingers wrap around the handle and end up in my palm resulting in a loose grip.
Length wise most of companies have handles of 10cm/100mm. I have a blade with 102mm and it feels better, I wonder how 120mm would be ... Smile
Here is a picture with Mima Ito where you can see her hand covering ~2/3 of the handle:
or this one where the bottom part of the flared handle doesn't end up in your palm:

Soulspin has some really nice handle shapes and they recently released a new model.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 10:55am
I feel like if your grip is loose enough it shouldn't matter much.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 11:16am
The width and depth of the neck also influences your grip.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 11:50am
It´s rare for me to find a blade with all aspects I like: material, head design and handle.
So, I started to buy the blade in Cpen version (because they are bigger) and cut it to a desing I consider optimized. And I make my own handles, for me it´s like a therapy sawing, cutting and sanding the wood until it becomes a perfect handle.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 7:37pm
Straight is preferred by defenders for twiddling. Straight is also favored by BH transition from FH for more direct BH play. I find thicker handles better for long playing sessions as I'm not gripping to hard or adjusting my grip so much. Many pros like the straight grip. Flared usually has better overall blade balance. Find one that feels good that suits your style and level and stick with it. EJing is a horrible habit that slows development. It takes your brain 4-5 weeks to imprint a new setup so find something that works and STICK WITH IT!
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 7:37pm
I'm getting ready to do  a review of the Airblades slope handle.

These sell on Amazon fairly cheap and add something different in the way they play and feel.

I put some regular rubber on this baby and it plays great.

Dr Cho
SanKaram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanKaram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

EJing is a horrible habit that slows development.

I am not a fan of manufacturers (ot ITTF) but if most amateur players stopped EJing, most manufacturers will be out of business before you know it.

Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

EJing is a horrible habit that slows development. It takes your brain 4-5 weeks to imprint a new setup so find something that works and STICK WITH IT!

So what if it takes 4 ot 5 weeks (if you are an amateur). It is not like you are going to miss the next Pro Tour event 
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 3:17am
Handle.  Works for me.

Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 6:54pm
i have heard the ST handle is for those that like to use their wrists in shots but i use Stiga Flared Legend and i like to use my wrist a lot but i also have a very loose grip and have not had problems? So i would chalk it up to preference...the flare also helps me not lose the racket with my loose grip Wacko
*sigh*
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2019 at 6:58am
Legend handle is my choice Clap 

and then there is this :

Dead
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2019 at 11:02am
Cool idea.. but the blade is long enough to cause wobble and unpredictable effects.

Not consistent enough and balls fly everywhere.

I did something like this 5 years ago and shelved it.

Still I love it when new blade designs come out.. 

The Airblade design is still close enough from original flared handles and seems to be a new thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic