FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Old Fat Guy Set-Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Fat Guy Set-Up
    Posted: 09/26/2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

Lose weight and get lighter on your feet. More important than equipment!

I know you mean well but really man you don't know me or how I really look. I find much humor in our sport and have no problem making fun of myself. I served in a war, have vision problems, arthritis, aches and pains but I'm still better looking than my dog. I don't over eat (except pizza) and play 4x week for 2 hours. Not so worried about weight loss but actually waking up alive the next day. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2019 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Ok all you old fat guys out there in Pongland listen up. I consider myself in this group and have found the perfect setup for defeat. Our main goal is to finish the match without calling 911 or getting to an oxygen tank right? We have all tried the Tenergy's and Off+ blades right and know the faster we loop or hit the ball the faster it comes back only to find we are about as mobile as a Brontosaurus on a hot day. My motto: Hands like a lazer...legs like a sloth fits me well. A good set-up for us is a good sturdy chair to just watch matches or if you feel brave enough burn our 5 calories in 5 games. All kidding aside I love the game and will play it until they stop making Mark V or Sriver or 5 dollar Walmart  specials. Big smile.

First thing, forget about winning. Concentrate on style. You will then impress anyone watching to think that Malong probably learned his technique from watching you play.

Here's an OFG looking good whilst using the latest stuff, Dignics05.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2019 at 12:22pm
As one gets older then playing experience and reading the other players weaknesses are critical. Limited mobility due to various medical conditions and age can be a challenge. I'm 70 and still surprise myself at getting to some balls hit at acute angles on the table. Other times get mad at myself for flubbing a simple return due to timing errors. Sometimes us older players are just out gunned period by much higher rated players and all the tactics and cunning in the world isn't going to win you the match. Remember the time I played a 2500 level player...OMG somebody hit me again please. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2019 at 11:04am
At 68, and overweight - which is a nice way of saying it - I find that the length of the match is often the decider.  IE, I often fall asleep by the 5th set of the final match.  Part of my problem is that I started playing at 12, but only played recreationally with school friends for 8 months, before I suffered a major health problem.  When I restarted at 65, I only knew how to play like a 12 year old, and so depend too much on running around.  I am gradually working to a point where I can play more intelligently, but still try to move more than I actually can.

However, I am at a level of weight and general health that makes it important to me to try to balance intake of food with output of calories.  If I get it just right, I am good for the whole night.  If not...  A bit of weight loss would go a long way.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2019 at 4:06am
Everything is connected with personal feeling. Some players, even pro, if they lost weight - they play more bad. Higher weight of the body means higher stability in blocking. In Bulgaria we have one 180kg player, who beats sometimes good players with pushing and fishing only with OX on bh and forehand drives with smooth rubber, twiddling a lot the bat during the rallies.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 9:56am
I wonder if the wheelchair athletes used a specific type/stylr of equipment. Because they are pretty much hands like lazer and feet like sloth. (not trying to make fun of them, their spirit is really admirable) 

Edited by JohnnyChop - 09/22/2019 at 10:07am
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 2:13am
Fat and 50 special... Nexy Batos ALC, 05FX and Bluefire M3...

Achieved highest weight, but around court the best ever and got best rating ever by far... weird.

Edited by BH-Man - 09/22/2019 at 2:14am
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 9:59pm
Ah the old Runlox 5. Don't use it anymore with the advent of the new ball. TBS, Korbel suit me now. I love Rozena or Bryce Speed. Mark V max is still a joy to play on a fast stiff blade.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 8:32pm
What's wrong with your good old Runlox-5? I know it's discontinued but it's still out there:

Do you maybe  think it's a bit slow for the new ball?
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 5:29pm
Ok all you old fat guys out there in Pongland listen up. I consider myself in this group and have found the perfect setup for defeat. Our main goal is to finish the match without calling 911 or getting to an oxygen tank right? We have all tried the Tenergy's and Off+ blades right and know the faster we loop or hit the ball the faster it comes back only to find we are about as mobile as a Brontosaurus on a hot day. My motto: Hands like a lazer...legs like a sloth fits me well. A good set-up for us is a good sturdy chair to just watch matches or if you feel brave enough burn our 5 calories in 5 games. All kidding aside I love the game and will play it until they stop making Mark V or Sriver or 5 dollar Walmart  specials. Big smile.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic