Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SDC Handmade Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>
Author
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2020 at 7:27am
My most requested blade, the Boll ALC and Viscaria composition.

Koto/ALC/Limba/Kiri/Limba/ALC/Koto - 86g - 5.70mm - 1460 Hz

Edited by Hipnotic - 03/09/2020 at 7:27am
Sponsored Links

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2020 at 6:14pm
Custom request from a forum member

First 3+2 blade for me. I was asked for a hard and fast blade and I think I delivered.

Composition: WRC / ALC / Kiri / ALC/ WRC
Head size: 157x150 mm
Weight: 94.6 g
Thickness: 7.5 mm
Frequency: 2000 Hz

Cedrick View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

My most requested blade, the Boll ALC and Viscaria composition.

Koto/ALC/Limba/Kiri/Limba/ALC/Koto - 86g - 5.70mm - 1460 Hz

What does Hz mean ?  Is this a scientific term like wood hardness or strength or something ? 

How does it apply to my playing style ? Maybe high Hz is preferred for Offensive and low Hz for defensive ?  Or low Hz for blocking and high Hz for looping ? etc ?  

Can I measure wood properties of my existing racket at home using some handheld widget or is it a leave it to professionals and expensive measurement equipment are needed ?  What I mean is , how would I know what Hz I need ? 

Edited by Cedrick - 03/17/2020 at 2:13pm
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 2:55pm
Hz is the measured frequency of the blade and it's related to the stiffness. Generally a stiffer blade will be faster, but that assumption can only be made with two similar compositions because other variables also play their part.

There is a thread here somewhere that explains this pretty well. I also made some research using software modelling, that thread is over at TTD.

Yes, you can measure it easily with your smartphone. I use an app called advanced spectrum analyzer.
VIP_Life_Member View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VIP_Life_Member Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 5:08pm
Hipnotic, What brands of epoxy or wood glue (or whatever)  do you use , if I may ask
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2020 at 5:53am
Don't mean to be selfish but that is kind of a trade secret Smile
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 4:54am
One of my favorite builds so far!

Composition: Black Limba / Ako / Carbon / Ayous / Carbon / Ako / Black Limba
Weight: 91g
Thickness: 5.5mm
Headsize: 159x150mm

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 4:54am
This was a very special request. The composition is similar to the M. Maze but with a thinner core and larger head size. But the handle was the biggest I've ever made, in fact it was the biggest handle I've ever seen on a TT blade!

Composition: Black Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Black Limba
Thickness: 5.55 mm
Weight: 87.3g
Head size: 158x152mm
Handle: 112x31x27mm
Freq.: 1290 Hz

Static View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Static Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 9:59am

Since I probably won't be playing at my club for quite some time I might as well post my initial thoughts of the amazing blade Hipnotic made. First of all big thanks to Hipnotic, the entire process of ordering the blade was very pleasant and I would definitely recommend anyone on the forum looking for a custom blade to hit up Hipnotic. The quality, craftsmanship and looks of the blade he made me are absolutely stunning. 

I have been using Xiom Vega X on the FH and Gewo Nanoflex FT40 on the BH. Unfortunately due to the ongoing pandemic I haven't been able to try the blade at my club yet. I have been using it on my outdoor table with my robot quite a bit in the last two weeks, also played my father a few times but only for a very short hit each time. Now the testing environment is not great due to the wind and not so great table but I have gotten quite an idea of how the blade plays especially comparing it to some of my other blades. 

Lets start with the handle, the wenge/purpleheart combo looks gorgeous and it is the most comfortable one I've ever used. I had asked for it to be lowered 2mm which gives the blade it's bigger head while having a slightly smaller neck. I absolutely love that the chamfer near the rubber is so large, much larger than on any commercial blade and much more comfortable for my thumb but also my index finger on the backhand benefits from it. It just feels so much more natural than a handle with a shorter chamfer,  Not sure why no other manufacturer does this. There's also a second custom lens as shown in the picture, I still wanted the blade makers logo visible on my blade so I asked for both. 
Now the speed, the frequency measures in at 1250 Hz. The blade feels only slightly faster than my Violin and about the same speed as my Violin carbon-inner. It has plenty of power away from the table though, on top of the carbon this has probably also to do with the slightly heavier weight compared to the rest of my blades (full setup is between 7-10g heavier than most of my other ones). 
Control is very high, the blade has quite a bit of dwell time for a carbon blade and for me it's great in the short game. Both blocking and driving are incredibly stable, the sweetspot on this blade is absolutely massive. It obviously doesn't quite give the same feedback of an all wood blade but it's still very nice because it's pretty thin as well. It feels nice and soft on slower balls but when you start to put some power in the blade really starts to kick while still feeling very safe to hit harder with.
Spin is also very good on this blade, it seems pretty flexible because the spin I'm getting is quite high. This in combination with the dwell makes for a very pleasant experience when playing topspins. 
The only thing that's a little strange for me is the arc of the ball when looping but only sometimes and it only really happens on the FH. It's quite unlike any setup I have played with, in general the quality of my shots is pretty good (for my standard at least) but sometimes it's completely random even if I think I hit the ball well. My shots always have a the spin I want to put in but occasionally the arc is either very high short or very low and it goes over the table. Can be very unpredictable at times. This is probably due to me not being completely used to the blade yet but I feel the Vega X is not the best combination with this blade so I might give another rubber a shot and see if that helps. It could also be because the sweetspot feels so large that when my shot is unpredictable I just didn't hit it in the right spot without me noticing. Not being able to play in a club setting has me only guessing though since the wind and table can affect the ball in some funny ways at times. 

So once again thank you very much Hipnotic, really can't wait to test out the blade at my club but I'm afraid that might be a while. 

Edited by Static - 03/26/2020 at 10:01am
Innerforce ALC, FH: Tenergy 19, BH:EL-P
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 4:29pm
Thank you Static!

Wow I love your signature!

Originally posted by Static Static wrote:

Since I probably won't be playing at my club for quite some time I might as well post my initial thoughts of the amazing blade Hipnotic made. First of all big thanks to Hipnotic, the entire process of ordering the blade was very pleasant and I would definitely recommend anyone on the forum looking for a custom blade to hit up Hipnotic. The quality, craftsmanship and looks of the blade he made me are absolutely stunning. 

I have been using Xiom Vega X on the FH and Gewo Nanoflex FT40 on the BH. Unfortunately due to the ongoing pandemic I haven't been able to try the blade at my club yet. I have been using it on my outdoor table with my robot quite a bit in the last two weeks, also played my father a few times but only for a very short hit each time. Now the testing environment is not great due to the wind and not so great table but I have gotten quite an idea of how the blade plays especially comparing it to some of my other blades. 

Lets start with the handle, the wenge/purpleheart combo looks gorgeous and it is the most comfortable one I've ever used. I had asked for it to be lowered 2mm which gives the blade it's bigger head while having a slightly smaller neck. I absolutely love that the chamfer near the rubber is so large, much larger than on any commercial blade and much more comfortable for my thumb but also my index finger on the backhand benefits from it. It just feels so much more natural than a handle with a shorter chamfer,  Not sure why no other manufacturer does this. There's also a second custom lens as shown in the picture, I still wanted the blade makers logo visible on my blade so I asked for both. 
Now the speed, the frequency measures in at 1250 Hz. The blade feels only slightly faster than my Violin and about the same speed as my Violin carbon-inner. It has plenty of power away from the table though, on top of the carbon this has probably also to do with the slightly heavier weight compared to the rest of my blades (full setup is between 7-10g heavier than most of my other ones). 
Control is very high, the blade has quite a bit of dwell time for a carbon blade and for me it's great in the short game. Both blocking and driving are incredibly stable, the sweetspot on this blade is absolutely massive. It obviously doesn't quite give the same feedback of an all wood blade but it's still very nice because it's pretty thin as well. It feels nice and soft on slower balls but when you start to put some power in the blade really starts to kick while still feeling very safe to hit harder with.
Spin is also very good on this blade, it seems pretty flexible because the spin I'm getting is quite high. This in combination with the dwell makes for a very pleasant experience when playing topspins. 
The only thing that's a little strange for me is the arc of the ball when looping but only sometimes and it only really happens on the FH. It's quite unlike any setup I have played with, in general the quality of my shots is pretty good (for my standard at least) but sometimes it's completely random even if I think I hit the ball well. My shots always have a the spin I want to put in but occasionally the arc is either very high short or very low and it goes over the table. Can be very unpredictable at times. This is probably due to me not being completely used to the blade yet but I feel the Vega X is not the best combination with this blade so I might give another rubber a shot and see if that helps. It could also be because the sweetspot feels so large that when my shot is unpredictable I just didn't hit it in the right spot without me noticing. Not being able to play in a club setting has me only guessing though since the wind and table can affect the ball in some funny ways at times. 

So once again thank you very much Hipnotic, really can't wait to test out the blade at my club but I'm afraid that might be a while. 
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2020 at 4:59am
A blade I made to test Western Red Cedar as a medial ply. The result is an All+ blade, very spiny and with a great feeling.

Limba / WRC / Glassfiber / WRC / Glassfiber / WRC / Limba - 89g - 5.65mm - 1130 Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2020 at 2:45pm
I've been making some experiments with Innegra S fiber. They call it the strongest man made fiber so I was curious about it's performance on TT blades. It feels very different to ALC, I can't wait to try it!

Structure: Limba / Innegra S - Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Innegra S - Carbon / Limba
Weight: 86.2g
Thickness: 5.8mm
Freq.: 1290 Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2020 at 6:15am
This is a blade I've made for a team mate with some interesting characteristics. It's inner fiber on one side and outer fiber on the other, with a larger head size. The fiber used was diolen-carbon. It's sold as blue Kevlar in many places but it's not. Diolen is a polyester fabric with higher impact and tear strength than fiberglass. It actually produces good results, feels similar to Aramid-Carbon but a little softer.

Structure: Limba / Diolen-carbon / Limba / Kiri / Diolen-carbon / Limba / Koto
Weight: 80g
Thickness: 5.6mm
Headsize : 158x152mm
Freq.: 1330 Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2020 at 5:06am
We are always calling our rackets "blade" so I was asked to create a handle that resembles a real blade.

Structure: Ako / Aramid-Carbon /Ako / Kiri / Ako / Aramid-Carbon Ako
Thickness: 5.75mm
Weight: 86.7g
Freq.: 1440 Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2020 at 5:28am
This was one of the first blades I've built because I wanted to try a one ply blade. However, it was bullied and neglected for being overweight (112g!). But this blade wouldn't give up, so after a diet, a lot of exercise (and some cosmetic surgery) it managed to loose some weight. It's still a heavy blade, but with a slightly smaller head size the 100g don't seem much. I never played with a Hinoki 1 ply, but this blade is very fast yet soft and controllable, if they even better than this then I get what all the fuss is about.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2020 at 11:06am
what are the head dimensions of that nice one ply after the cosmetic surgery?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

what are the head dimensions of that nice one ply after the cosmetic surgery?

155x149mm, just trimmed some loose fat Smile
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2020 at 12:24pm
That's still within conventional limits and shrunk used rubbers that other people can't play will fit Big smile. I just noticed your pictures are fantastic, we can copy them and paste them in an editor to zoom  from the starting 3352x3361 pixels high definition image, way to go!
What wood did you use for that one ply?

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

That's still within conventional limits and shrunk used rubbers that other people can't play will fit Big smile. I just noticed your pictures are fantastic, we can copy them and paste them in an editor to zoom  from the starting 3352x3361 pixels high definition image, way to go!
What wood did you use for that one ply?

That was one of the reasons I decided to do it. I had a bunch of old rubbers that wouldn't fit on a standard head size but are perfect on this one. Also, it keeps the total weight close to 190g which is what I usually use anyways.

I use my old Nokia 950 for the photos. The phone is outdated but the camera is still pretty good even by today's standards.

The wood is Tola, I've bought a few years ago to make a guitar but never used it. Too bad the grain isn't perfectly vertical, it would make the blade feel even better.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2020 at 12:49pm
I noticed the grain isn't vertical but in terms of playability I believe it's consistency that we need and in your blade, we have it so we're good. As a joke you could even say that you DID choose an oriented grain to have a forehand oriented blade and more control on the backhand Tongue
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2020 at 1:04pm
To tell the truth it doesn't matter much in this kind of wood. As you can see the growth rings are very perceivable, the wood is very homogeneous. If this were a Hinoki or Spruce blade it would be curling like a boosted rubber right now. Very nice idea, I should hire you has my marketing manager LOL
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2020 at 4:07pm
I've taken the opportunity to make a few experiments during this quarantine, this is one of them. A 3 ply blade with a concrete handle! Even my cat got curious 

Did I fool ya? I guess not... Of course it's not concrete but it has a really nice texture, it would be great for those who are concerned about their slippery hands. Ah, this blade also has another dirty secret 

Structure: Ayous / Douglas Fir / Ayous
Weight: 101.4g
Thickness: 7.0mm
Headsize: 155x150mm

patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2020 at 7:02pm

I've taken the opportunity to make a few experiments during this quarantine, this is one of them. A 3 ply blade with a concrete handle! Even my cat got curious 

Did I fool ya? I guess not... Of course it's not concrete but it has a really nice texture, it would be great for those who are concerned about their slippery hands. Ah, this blade also has another dirty secret 

Structure: Ayous / Douglas Fir / Ayous
Weight: 101.4g
Thickness: 7.0mm
Headsize: 155x150mm

Ship that to Trump, will ya. He would then have something concrete to say about current situation. 

Jokes a side, nice looking blade 👍
murrayblhrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murrayblhrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2020 at 8:33pm

What is the secret.

Edited by murrayblhrc - 05/02/2020 at 8:37pm
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by patelaaaa patelaaaa wrote:

Ship that to Trump, will ya. He would then have something concrete to say about current situation. 

Jokes a side, nice looking blade 👍

Should I ship it with a bottle of Lysol? 
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2020 at 9:45am
Originally posted by murrayblhrc murrayblhrc wrote:

What is the secret.

I will reveal that after I test the blade and I have some feedback.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2020 at 12:44pm
Is this various glitters added to paint? that would be a very smart way to design a handle so we can use all kind of woods, maybe super light woods - balsa or cork - so we do not need to carve the handles and - maybe -get a better, truer feel?

Anyways, congratulations on your explorations and fine work, thanks for sharing.

Nah...it's not, that view and light shows it's a a special material, the mystery thickens:

Edited by stiltt - 05/03/2020 at 12:50pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2020 at 12:52pm
Is it a special hard foam? am I getting closer??? Big smile

There is this too! 

expanding water blown polyurethane foams

This is my final candidate and the likeliest to be the answer.

Do we use one mold for for both sides of the handle or do we carve from a block with via cnc?

Edited by stiltt - 05/03/2020 at 1:50pm
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2020 at 3:43pm
This is looking like CSI: MyTT 

It's none of those! But those are some nice ideas
Static View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2020 at 3:51pm
I think it's some sort of liquid rubberised coating on a regular wooden handle.
Innerforce ALC, FH: Tenergy 19, BH:EL-P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>
  Share Topic