Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SDC Handmade Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 27>
Author
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 4:51am
This was a blade made in collaboration with PingBrothers. Soon they will review this blade on their youtube channel, stay tuned!

Composition: Koto / Innegra-Carbon / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Innegra-Carbon / Koto
Weight: 84.0g
Thickness: ~6.0 mm
Freq.: 1400 Hz
Balance: 2.1 cm (Very Low)

Edited by Hipnotic - 07/12/2020 at 4:53am
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Sponsored Links

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2020 at 3:42am
My first Zylon-Carbon blade, Apolonia ZLC composition. I have a hard time finding the right blade for me because I prefer a hard touch on the BH, but a soft touch and high arc on the FH. I've been using this blade for the past few weeks and I think I finally found it, the perfect compromise between speed/spin/control/touch and arc. A subtle homage to the Portuguese flag with the green, yellow and red.

Composition: Limba / Ayous / Zylon-Carbon / Ayous / Zylon-Carbon / Ayous / Limba
Weight: 88.0 g
Thickness: 5.7 mm
Freq.: 1335 Hz
Balance: 2.7 cm (Low)

SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2020 at 5:13am
Looks great,  as always. 

Interesting how you describe your problems with finding the right blade for you, I think I probably share the same preferences. For me, the best blade for my forehand is a simple Allplay whilst on my backhand nothing feels better than a Viscaria-type blade. 

Is there a reason why we don't get combination blades with carbon only on one (bh) side?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2020 at 7:02am
The difference between sides in combination blades is never as pronounced as we would hope. I've made a few, mostly for defensive  players, with composite just on one side, and even then the differences are not night and day. The presence of composite influences the stiffness of the whole blade, and also hardness to some degree. But this is a subject I want to experiment more with in the future.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2020 at 9:54pm
All the hybrid solutions I tried confirm that; some discussions about cork are interesting but is it legal? I can imagine cork on one side right behind a soft outer ply would dissipate the impact much more than on the other where -say- a composite (the other extreme) ply behind an other outer hard ply would kick back. Let's say willow-cork-spruce-bestcorewhatever-composite-ipe-ebony for example (just a combo I pull out of my ass without real knowledge for the sake of the discussion...). I did not see anybody trying extremes like that using cork as the ultimate dampener.
I noticed that people are trying new things like that Korean blade with a band of wood all around Ross Leidy style; that's a bold move! also I read discussions about giving more leeway to manufacturers (composite outer plies for example). It is therefore possible that if cork is NOT a wood, it could be accepted in the future as a legal material that does not fall into the 15% non-wood rule. Is that hope enough to spend time on it? only the blade building artists who actually do the work can answer.

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 4:40pm
I'm also not sure about the legality of cork but I'm convinced it is. There are a few commercial blades using cork, mainly in the core.

I did some experiments with cork, in fact one of the blades I posted previously uses cork but underneath a hard Padauk outer layer. Not sure how that blade performs yet but the ball bounce test tells me it's not slow. I have a idea in mind to improve that composition but did not had the time to try it yet.

I also built a blade with cork medial on both sides and a few other twists. That blade was SLOW! The ball barely bounced without rubbers on it. Unfortunately I also tested another kind of glue with that blade and it didn't worked out well, I had separation of the plies while removing the rubbers. 
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2020 at 3:31am
This "Katana" is now chilling in Dubai, living the good life. Typical Viscaria composition with the most complex handle I made to date.

Composition: Koto / Aramid-Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Koto
Weight: 88.7g
Thickness: 5.7mm

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2020 at 4:13am
A commissioned combination blade for a short pips pips player. This one was a real challenge because he wanted something solid and hard but not very fast.

Composition: Wenge / Spruce / Glass-Fiber / Balsa / Glass-Fiber / Spruce / Black Walnut
Weight: 92.2 g
Thickness: ~6.0 mm
Balance: 1.5 cm (Very Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2020 at 4:27am
People still use all wood blades, who would have thought?  
This is a classic 5 ply composition, similar to Korbel, that I made for a former team mate.

Composition: Limba / Ayous / Ayous / Ayous / Limba
Thickness: 5.9 mm
Weight: 86.8 g
Head Size: 158x152 mm
Freq.: 1290 Hz
Balance: 2.9 cm

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 9:44am
This was another one of my experiments during quarantine. I hadn't built a a 7 ply with kiri core in a while and I wanted to try this Smoked Eucalyptus. The blade is very linear, not bouncy at all, and has a soft but solid and muted feel. However, you can clearly feel the hard to ply on harder shots.

Composition: Smoked Eucalyptus / Ayous / Kiri / Kiri / Kiri / Ayous / Smoked Eucalyptus
Weight: 84.1 g
Thickness: 5.95 mm
Freq.: 1270 Hz
Balance: 2.4 cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2020 at 4:28am
No, this is not a repost, but the classic look will always be popular!

Composition: Black Walnut / Aramid-Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Black Walnut
Weight: 90.4g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.:1440 Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2020 at 3:50am
I was once challenged to build the lightest blade possible. Well, I could just make a one ply balsa blade but that would just be unplayable. However I did try to make a very light blade that would still be good for looping.

Composition: Ayous / Glass-Fiber / Balsa /  Balsa / Balsa/ Glass-Fiber / Ayous
Weight: 52.5 g
Thickness: 6.2 mm
Balance: 2.0 cm (Very Low)

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2020 at 5:46am
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

I was once challenged to build the lightest blade possible. Well, I could just make a one ply balsa blade but that would just be unplayable. However I did try to make a very light blade that would still be good for looping.

Composition: Ayous / Glass-Fiber / Balsa /  Balsa / Balsa/ Glass-Fiber / Ayous
Weight: 52.5 g
Thickness: 6.2 mm
Balance: 2.0 cm (Very Low)

Now this is interesting...

Would you mind sending me a PM if it's still available?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2020 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

Now this is interesting...

Would you mind sending me a PM if it's still available?

Done!
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2020 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

the classic look will always be popular!

Composition: Black Walnut / Aramid-Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Black Walnut
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.:1440 Hz

You are soooo right. This blade looks really fantastic. Thumbs Up
Something in me says: BUY IT !!!
Fortunately this is not ST. Otherwise my wallet would be lighter once more. Wink
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2020 at 3:59am
This is a blade that will divide opinions, some will love it, some will hate it, but it's hard to stay indifferent. 

Here's the backstory: the owner loves Moto GP and he is a big fan of Valentino Rossi. He wanted to make a statement with the handle, something that incorporated yellow, blue and black colors. So I came up with the idea of doing something based on the Sun&Moon, like on Valentino's trademark helmet. He also wanted to honor the Swedish flag, so I incorporated that as well.

In the end, I think Valentino Rossi would be proud of this one 

Composition: Black Limba / Ayous / Innegra-Carbon / Ayous / Innegra-Carbon / Ayous / Black Limba
Weight: 87.7 g
Thickness: 5.8 mm
Freq.: 1230 Hz
Balance: 3.2 cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2020 at 4:10am
Made this one a while ago. A combination blade for a young defensive player featuring Luxembourg's flag colors on the handle.

Composition: Framiré / Innegra-Carbon / Framiré / Ayous / Ako / Framiré
Weight: 84g
Thickness: 5.5mm
Freq.: 1162 Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2020 at 3:52am
This one was to experiment with reconstituted wood, also called fineline. Fineline is basically a bunch of thin sheets of wood (usually Ayous) that are glued together and cut in the perpendicular direction. This makes a cheap, very consistent and relatively light veneer. This is also the material used nowadays for handles in most commercial blades. Because it's soft, Ayous accepts color really well, so the sheets are pre-dyed and then glued, enabling those intricate patterns. Performance wise I would call this the "poor man Hinoki", it's soft but very bouncy.

Composition: Fineline / Glass-Fiber/ Kiri / Glass-Fiber / Fineline
Thickness: ~7.15mm
Freq.: 1290Hz
Balance: 3.4cm (Med)

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2020 at 9:31pm
That no-good Der_Echte who likes posting at TTD might like that handle... :D
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2020 at 3:08am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

That no-good Der_Echte who likes posting at TTD might like that handle... :D

Yeah, I know he has a preference for thick squarish handles. Playing with FL handles since forever, I started to develop the same preference after making them for others, and my hands aren't even that big. This one is not that thick though, only 23mm, the sweetspot is 24mm for me.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2020 at 3:46am
This is the first of two blades I built for a customer. He's a very good player and also a coach, you can check his insta account @keean.tt
This one is my Innegra outer composition which has received good feedback lately, featuring Singapore colors in the handle.

Composition: Limba / Innegra-Carbon/ Framiré / Kiri / Framiré / Innegra-Carbon / Limba
Weight: 87.1g
Thickness: ~5.8mm
Freq.: 1290 Hz
Balance: 1.8cm (Very low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2020 at 5:15am
This is the second blade I've built for @keean.tt. The composition is similar to the N301 and once again we tried to incorporate Singapore's flag red and white in the handle. It also features a really cool white Koto top Ply.

Composition: Koto / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / Koto
Weight: 94g
Thickness: ~6.0mm
Freq.: 1315 Hz
Balance: 2.6cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2020 at 4:52am
A pair of commissioned blades with the Innegra outer  composition.

Composition: Framiré / Innegra-Carbon / Framiré / Kiri / Framiré / Innegra-Carbon / Framiré
Weight: 86.2 and 86.7g
Thickness: ~5.7 mm
Freq.: 1313 Hz
Balance: 1.9 cm (Very Low)

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2020 at 5:32pm
One of these blades just comes home from its first league match Wink
Now it is "battle proofed" (2:1 wins) Big smile
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2020 at 5:29am
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

Good to hear!
Could you please write some short comments on this blade? Like, is it OFF- or OFF, can you comparable with which commercial blade? Thanks a lot in advance!
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2020 at 7:42am
For me it is definitely Off-

The outer layer (Framiré) feels a little bit harder than Limba (both woods are from the same "family"). I think, it is somewhere between Limba and Koto, but nearer to Limba.

Compared with Boll ALC it feels a little bit softer because of the outer veneer and it is also slower (Off- instead of Off from the Boll ALC).

Compared with the Innerforce (Layer) ALC the "Power Spin" (my name for this blade) feels more direct and (which is VERY important for me) is is much more linear than the Innerforce ALC (not as "bouncy" as the IF).

I think, the Butterfly blade, which is closest to this blade (from the feeling) could be the Maze ALC, but it is long time ago that I tested the Maze. But in my eyes the Power Spin has better control, also compared to the Maze, without being slow.

I had really good results with several medium-hard to hard rubbers. 
My actual choice is: Nexy Karis M+ on forehand and Karis M on backhand, both in 2,0 mm.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2020 at 10:46am

I'm really glad the blades are serving you well Smile
dandly1 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2020 at 4:54pm
I want to order the blade similar my friend (Quang Vo) he just bought some week ago. It's now side Ma Long & one side Viscaria with price $80. 
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by dandly1 dandly1 wrote:

I want to order the blade similar my friend (Quang Vo) he just bought some week ago. It's now side Ma Long & one side Viscaria with price $80. 

PM me please!
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2020 at 5:10am

For me it is definitely Off-

The outer layer (Framiré) feels a little bit harder than Limba (both woods are from the same "family"). I think, it is somewhere between Limba and Koto, but nearer to Limba.

Compared with Boll ALC it feels a little bit softer because of the outer veneer and it is also slower (Off- instead of Off from the Boll ALC).

Compared with the Innerforce (Layer) ALC the "Power Spin" (my name for this blade) feels more direct and (which is VERY important for me) is is much more linear than the Innerforce ALC (not as "bouncy" as the IF).

I think, the Butterfly blade, which is closest to this blade (from the feeling) could be the Maze ALC, but it is long time ago that I tested the Maze. But in my eyes the Power Spin has better control, also compared to the Maze, without being slow.

I had really good results with several medium-hard to hard rubbers. 
My actual choice is: Nexy Karis M+ on forehand and Karis M on backhand, both in 2,0 mm.

Thanks for the info. As how you describe it, it could well fit my gameplay as well.
Never played with Karis rubbers. Might give them a try.

Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 27>
  Share Topic